New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    The sensible answer would be no. But if everyone was sensible, they'd all be driving Getz and Starlet-sized cars. It's a free country, though. Not everyone will have the same tastes. Most buy cars to get from point A to point B. Others buy expensive cars to let others know of their status. Still others buy cars for performance. I don't know where to draw the line at how much hp is enough. There's too many variables to consider.

Personally, I'm one of those who likes spacious midsize sedans with V6's and a minimum of 200 hp. That or a comfortable V6 van with all the passenger amenities. But, I'm also one of those who thinks that I probably won't need a car if my wife and I move to the Philippines (at least for a few years) simply because there's an abundance of public transportation. If we need to go to Manila or something, just get a taxi. That's what we did when we worked out my wife's petition paperwork many years ago.

OT: PI is simply jargon from American GI's (including Pinoys in DoD) who used PI as a term for the Philippines. I've seen that as a navy brat. I've also seen PI used for Philippines on many paperwork. I like RP, though.

Which is why I said going more than 65mph.

OT
    Anyways try driving a Crown Vic on the freeway and watch all the cars slow down behind you even if it is a rental. We have an unmarked Crown Vic with the police lights hidden inside and everybody slows down behind us all the time thinking we are CHP. Of course there was one idiot who threw something at it on the freeway and did he get a surprise when the lights were suddenly turned on and he was asked to pull over. CHP was called and he was given a ticket. Lucky he wasn't charged with assault on a fed. officer and destruction of fed. property, I believe both are felonies.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    you'd be surprised how the Veracruz is being sold in a small island like Cebu

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Kaya dapat dito sa RP 2 or 3 cars per household, isang econo for everyday use isang hindi econo for fun and weekend get aways tsaka isang butaw pang color coding

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    When talking about horse power, I think we should also consider torque, and not just at the crank, but also through out the transmission, and also through the ring gear, then we should factor in the weight of the vehicle, loaded, empty etc. then the road up hill, flat, or down hill, and rpm at what part of the power band is the horse power produced and the torque,
    I would also factor in how far it is driven under specific conditions,
    If driving a midsize car in manila I would probably want low to mid rpm torque primarily,
    In my opinion a car can be great at doing one thing only, for example a rail car built for drag racing can not take turns very well. Define the purpose then define the car.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Which is why I said going more than 65mph.

OT
    Anyways try driving a Crown Vic on the freeway and watch all the cars slow down behind you even if it is a rental. We have an unmarked Crown Vic with the police lights hidden inside and everybody slows down behind us all the time thinking we are CHP. Of course there was one idiot who threw something at it on the freeway and did he get a surprise when the lights were suddenly turned on and he was asked to pull over. CHP was called and he was given a ticket. Lucky he wasn't charged with assault on a fed. officer and destruction of fed. property, I believe both are felonies.
    what is a crown vic???? are you a fireman, postman or something?? heheheh

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    you'd be surprised how the Veracruz is being sold in a small island like Cebu
    Oh shikes. Nakalimutan ko pala na may Hyundai dealer sa Cebu. Aside from Cebu, meron din sila sa La Union, Bacolod, Iloilo at pati na rin sa Southern Mindanao

Pero sabi daw ng SA ko, there are only two units ngayon na meron sa Pinas: one in Manila Bay (eto yung galing sa Motor Show) at sa National Headquarters (yung dating Peugeot Makati). Sa June pa raw yung arrival ng volume batches ng Veracruz Diesel.

But anyhow, I think that for wealthy probinsiyanos, I don't think that they would buy this for the speed....simply because that it is not the only thing that the car offers.

For them, it's about the features. They are the type of buyers that savor Murano-like interior, high-performance sound system (better than Sta. Fe), all the safety feature goodies, the leather seats and the cold airconditioning.

So siguro, it doesn't matter if you buy a Veracruz then just travel at top speed of 80 km/h daily. Nothing wrong with that IMHO.

Pero if you use a Lancer Evo just for city driving, well that's a..............

Like the Lancer Evolution 9 RS na nakikita ko every school day (hatid-sunod from Makati-San Juan and vice-versa).

7. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    its obvious that JC Jeremy Clarkson still hasn't seen the sh** roads of the Philippines. For a city peep , a 100HP corolla will do. For those who travel along the highways a lot might want to get a Land Cruiser or sumthing like that. Still IMHO motto "Third world countries need and only needs third world cars" :D

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    100 hp? Too much!

When I was young... err... younger, I used to go "hooning" around in a Sentra FE. 90 whole ponies on that one, from a 1.3 liter engine.

I could hit over 100 mph with that one... and I went head-to-head with Civic SiRs (four-door 160hp Si, for you yanks), V6 Galants, and whatnot. Of course, I always got my ass kicked on the straights, but not by that much... why? Simply because not many people are foolish enough to hold 160 km/h plus speeds on our roads.

And come the corners? Momentum's the name of the game. 800 kgs of car with a modified suspension and sticky tires (plus the great weight balance that comes from having much less engine than anyone else) made that buzz-bomb a joy to drive up in the mountains.

But even in everyday use and overtaking, I always had more than enough power. Sure, 0-100 km/h times were between 13-15 secounds, but... how many times do you actually peel to 100 km/h in even ten seconds? Floor it in a puny 1.3 or 1.5 and your passengers will complain.

Heck, in my 2.0, I rarely ever use more than 1/4 throttle in traffic situations.

But maybe that has something to do with the darn loud muffler I've stuck on it... :hysterical:

Anything that can get to 100 km/h in 20 seconds or less is fast enough for civilian use. And if that's not enough to overtake the guy in front of you, then you and he are going fast enough. :hihihi:

In terms of "hooning", though, you can never have enough... things only start to get interesting at about 200 hp in a compact...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    It all depends, as with most subjective questions. Do you do a lot of city driving? Then HP won't matter much. Do you do a lot of long haul drives with lots of overtaking? Then HP will matter. Do you do dragtimes? Take your car to the track? Beat your own time going up Baguio? Then you'll definitely need much more HP than your stock sporty car would put out.

But you also must know that increased HP will require increased fuel consumption. So if you just want transportation, the most efficient car would work. But if you don't mind spending much on fuel, then by all means, get that 6+ cylinder engined car you've always wanted.

As with others that have mentioned it, 150ish HP is adequate for decent, everyday driving with passing and highway runs in the Philippines, and would also be fuel efficient enough for those who are conscious about it - all this with a compact car of course. The larger the car, the more HP you'll need. But if you're doing a lot of highway driving, a good, fast turbodiesel engined car works WONDERS especially with that amount of torque for passing slowpokes.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I like the Veracruz because of its engine power.. the mere imagination of driving it past 220kmh excites me. hehehhee.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Do you really need that much Hp in RP?