New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2007
    Noticed the RP insted of PI. I guess that's the "PC" term to call Pinas. Guys, cut me some slack, the last time I was home Macoy was still running the show and we almost got shot by his a**hole son at Stargazer.

Anyways, as the title says, I've been checking out this site for a couple of days and I have notice to tremendous increase in performance cars back home. Where in the heck do you open up these cars w/ all the traffic and bako bako roads. (last time I remember) and the quality of gas is not that great either, but I guess it's for show driving (picking up chicks at St. Paul, Sienna, Maryknoll and of course Tia Maria) my old stopming ground rather than performance driving.

Are there a lot of performance shops and is there still a market for one. I might open a euro tuning shop over there.

To the Philippines, truly the Pearl of the Oreint

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenhillsKid View Post
    Guys, cut me some slack, the last time I was home Macoy was still running the show and we almost got shot by his a**hole son at Stargazer.
    Wala na yatang Stargazer ngayon.

Anyways, as the title says, I've been checking out this site for a couple of days and I have notice to tremendous increase in performance cars back home. Where in the heck do you open up these cars w/ all the traffic and bako bako roads. (last time I remember) and the quality of gas is not that great either, but I guess it's for show driving (picking up chicks at St. Paul, Sienna, Maryknoll and of course Tia Maria) my old stopming ground rather than performance driving.
    Wala na ring Maryknoll. May Tia Maria pa ba?

There are good stretches of road to use all that hp and torque, but the real reason is track days. Even so, kaunti rin lang naman ang may high performance cars. A lot of cars have <= 1.3L engines and they're doing fine in Manila's traffic. Less baku-bako, but more cars = traffic.

Are there a lot of performance shops and is there still a market for one. I might open a euro tuning shop over there.
    Marami rami na rin, catering to anyone from rice boys who just want a noisy muffler to the serious racers who know what they're doing. There are certainly fewer shops that specialize in Euro brands, but also because there were fewer Euro cars to tune, or fewer owners willing to tune their cars.
    Last edited by the_wildthing; May 22nd, 2007 at 06:00 AM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Welcome to Tsikot!

What kind of Euro tuning shop are you planning to setup? Will it just cater to specific brands or basta anything Euro will fit in? Naku.. Increase in number of performance cars is relative my friend. For me, I will think twice before I setup one. Unless you are really passionate on what you're doing and you won't care initially if the biz will turn out to be good.

There are rich people here bro but IMO they're not that many yet.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    I guess it really changed a lot. The last time I was there during the 80's, I can't even imagine driving a 6 cylinder. It's mostly 4 bangers on the road, there were a few porsches around at that time. My buddy had a 79 911T wide body from Dasma. subd.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    What do you consider too much and enough as far as horsepower? Considering that most people even in this site consider 2.0L engines as gas guzzlers, what is considered as "much" when you measure horsepower.

OT
    Maryknoll just changed it's name to Miriam College and Tia Maria's is still around.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The sensible answer would be no. But if everyone was sensible, they'd all be driving Getz and Starlet-sized cars. It's a free country, though. Not everyone will have the same tastes. Most buy cars to get from point A to point B. Others buy expensive cars to let others know of their status. Still others buy cars for performance. I don't know where to draw the line at how much hp is enough. There's too many variables to consider.

Personally, I'm one of those who likes spacious midsize sedans with V6's and a minimum of 200 hp. That or a comfortable V6 van with all the passenger amenities. But, I'm also one of those who thinks that I probably won't need a car if my wife and I move to the Philippines (at least for a few years) simply because there's an abundance of public transportation. If we need to go to Manila or something, just get a taxi. That's what we did when we worked out my wife's petition paperwork many years ago.

OT: PI is simply jargon from American GI's (including Pinoys in DoD) who used PI as a term for the Philippines. I've seen that as a navy brat. I've also seen PI used for Philippines on many paperwork. I like RP, though.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; May 22nd, 2007 at 06:57 AM.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I am quite happy with my 80-100HP rides....

2701:bye:

8. Join Date
    May 2007
    engines that are 6 & 8 cylinders. i would say about 190hp at the crank is good enough.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    uy Tia Maria...i remember visiting there in the late 80's and sampling the famous zombie (anyone know what i'm talking about?)...um, some of us might have been a little bit underage at the time

re: topic -

"need" - probably nothing more than a 1.6 to 2.0 4-banger. at least that's the impression i got the last time i drove around Manila (in 2003).

"want" - well, for a select few "too much" is merely "just enough"

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    OT: wala ng stargazer ngayon, he he he. Marynoll is now Miriam College. Ta Maria? Ah...familiar tayo dyan, he he. Empy, I know what that zombie is.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Do you really need that much Hp in RP?