New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    What can you say naman about the volunteers who install sirens and blinkers in their private vehicles? They use their vehicles to the fire scene and need to use sirens and blinkers so go there quickly. Should this be allowed?
    To be honest, sa dami ng fire volunteers ngayon? i no longer find the need na maglagay ng lights and siren sa kotse. at one point meron akong federal signal na siren installed a kotse ko together with strobe hideaway kits. Pero tinangal ko na din kasi ala naman nang use eh.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    May U.S. States (especially the more rural ones) allow P.O.V.'s (privately owned vehicles) of fire/police/EMS personell to be used in responding to calls.

However, there are regulations stipulating the level of equipment that may be installed on POV's (e.g. most prohibit roof mounted light bars). POV's are not just for racing to the scene. Some are used to control traffic to allow other emergency vehicles/apparatus safe passage. Other POV's are used to carry emergency equipment (e.g. a defibrilator/life pak). Some are even used to race human organs to transplant patients.

I wish our local laws would loosen up and also entertain green emergency lamps. They're for doctor's cars in the UK.

I wish we have the same rules as those countries. but then again, dapat implementation and prohibitions must strictly be enforced.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Visual warning systems (light bars, strobes, wig-wags, etc.) are not just used to allow for emergency vehicles' safe passage through traffic but these systems are also an added safety feature once at the scene of the incident.

When responding to a roadside emergency, we usually place the emergency vehicle (fully marked or P.O.V.) behind our backs so that there will be an additional barrier between the responding team and the flow of traffic. If space allows, the vehicle is placed broadside (perpendicular to the flow of traffic) to widen the shielded area. Leaving all emergency lights on for maximum visibility.

Come to think of it, I think we need more side facing lights (e.g. alley lights) and scene lights on some of the units we use.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Visual warning systems (light bars, strobes, wig-wags, etc.) are not just used to allow for emergency vehicles' safe passage through traffic but these systems are also an added safety feature once at the scene of the incident.

When responding to a roadside emergency, we usually place the emergency vehicle (fully marked or P.O.V.) behind our backs so that there will be an additional barrier between the responding team and the flow of traffic. If space allows, the vehicle is placed broadside (perpendicular to the flow of traffic) to widen the shielded area. Leaving all emergency lights on for maximum visibility.

Come to think of it, I think we need more side facing lights (e.g. alley lights) and scene lights on some of the units we use.

Exactly, these things aren't for use to signify authority on the road. That's the main reason why these lights are either rotating, flashing or blinking so it would be very much visible from oncoming traffic.

Sir Otep, you with AEROMED?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I used to be Aeromed Makati Med but I'm with UST now. I still ride with them from time to time (when they need my services) but I'm applying as a volunteer EMS in a volunteer group. Just working on my schedule and other logistics po.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have respect for real fire volunteers (and not those loonies we see running around pretending to be one just so they can get ahead of traffic) as what they have been doing is a real community service that saves lives and property. But still, I long to see our government really improve in beefing up the equipment, training and salaries of the Bureau of Fire Protection (tama ba?) so as that one day citizens do not really need to rely on our own ranks to fill in the void. Parang NAMFREL, they're trying to help guard the electoral process but they long for the day that there is no need for their efforts anymore (meaning our elections are indeed clean and honest).

7. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    firemedic 11,

question lang po,how can I join and be a volunteer in my community.i'm from bacoor cavite.second question, is it true that fire truck/fire volunteer responding to the fire scene or emergency are not responsible to any damage to a car/person if ever have an accident occur? thanks in advance.

8. Join Date
    May 2008
    Medyo OT pero hanga ako sa Ube fire volunteers sa Binondo. They're the one's sponsored/ run by Eng Bee Tin. Ang ganda ng mga equipments nila and Very prompt in responding. Minsan may sunog dito sa Makati at nauna pa sila dumating kesa sa mga fire departments na malalapit dito.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gillian View Post
    firemedic 11,

question lang po,how can I join and be a volunteer in my community.i'm from bacoor cavite.second question, is it true that fire truck/fire volunteer responding to the fire scene or emergency are not responsible to any damage to a car/person if ever have an accident occur? thanks in advance.
    hi,

apologize for the late response. there are a couple of volunteer groups near your area like the ones in pasay. i'm not sure thought how the application process goes as it varies from one department to another.

about your question, I really wouldnt say that we are immune to prosecution in case of accidents when responding to a fire. We are just like ordinary citizens, we dont have special access or immunities to the rules of the road. what we have are special abilities to help others. on runs we, our trucks, us volunteers are very much responsible just like everyone else. our department had an accident once while on our way to a big fire, we aborted our response instead of fleeing the scene. but, there are some instances though that we need to do things drastically.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMEDIC11 View Post
    hi,

apologize for the late response. there are a couple of volunteer groups near your area like the ones in pasay. i'm not sure thought how the application process goes as it varies from one department to another.

about your question, I really wouldnt say that we are immune to prosecution in case of accidents when responding to a fire. We are just like ordinary citizens, we dont have special access or immunities to the rules of the road. what we have are special abilities to help others. on runs we, our trucks, us volunteers are very much responsible just like everyone else. our department had an accident once while on our way to a big fire, we aborted our response instead of fleeing the scene. but, there are some instances though that we need to do things drastically.
    my hats off to you guys. especially to new village (bagong baryo in tagalog) of caloocan. kudos

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Comments on fire volunteers / fire trucks / emergencies