New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Australia used to build V8 engines for their Holden vehicles which are now supplied by GM. Witness V8 in pure action in Aussies' V8 Supercars and US NASCAR. More valves or cylinders mean more mulah. You can get equivalent and cheaper results with a forced induction engine just by adding a supercharger unit. Although NA engines for me all the way baby.

so anu purpose/advantage na having power on the mid to top end kaysa sa having power from low-mid end...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    well having power on the mid-range is thought to be most efficient for fuel consumption. you see, more speed means more fuel spent. having power at mid-range has considerable effect- balance between fuel efficiency and power.

hmm..pero sa power, anu naman ang effect? civics are know diba parang "mahina humatak sa trafic" because of mid-end max torque, unlike ung others na 2000-400 ang max torque....

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy
    hmm..pero sa power, anu naman ang effect? civics are know diba parang "mahina humatak sa trafic" because of mid-end max torque, unlike ung others na 2000-400 ang max torque....
    VTEC engines are like that wherein the wild camshaft only kicks in after 5000rpm. you get lower fuel consumption but you'll be taking a hit at low-end grunt. though because of stricter emmission regulations - we wouldn't be seeing again the likes of the 160hp 1.6L B16A.

although the newer i-VTEC (4-cylinder) engines has already addressed this by introducing a variable cam timing (regardless of engine speed) on top of the existing VTEC system. the i-VTEC V6 can shut off 3 cylinders when cruising below 80kph.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_rex
    medyo na OT na yung thread. but anyways, lets continue the discussion, it gets pretty interesting...

....as for the by pass thing, there is no such thing- unless you got a very fouled-up engine.
    pre, masyado ka naman na carried-away..hehehe that was meant as a joke... i'm comparing engine valves with the valves of the human heart.. pag nagbara yung valve ng puso,...pwede by-pass operation but anyways.. salamat sa informative answer mo. keep it up!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy
    no sir. i don't think so. its just that the 1st gear of the civics were tuned in somewhat higher gear ratio- and max torque of civic is at 3800 rpm(*least for the D15Y7). take my case, kaya ko mapag-wheel spin yung lxi ko at 2500-4000 rpm range. then the max horsepower could be had at 6400 rpm.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rsnald
    pre, masyado ka naman na carried-away..hehehe that was meant as a joke... i'm comparing engine valves with the valves of the human heart.. pag nagbara yung valve ng puso,...pwede by-pass operation but anyways.. salamat sa informative answer mo. keep it up!
    hehehe. honestly, i've had such encounter on a friend's scooter...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_rex
    no sir. i don't think so. its just that the 1st gear of the civics were tuned in somewhat higher gear ratio- and max torque of civic is at 3800 rpm(*least for the D15Y7). take my case, kaya ko mapag-wheel spin yung lxi ko at 2500-4000 rpm range. then the max horsepower could be had at 6400 rpm.
    3800rpm? anong year ng civic kapatid? Most, if not all, previous generation civics tops out on torque * 5200-5500rpm. 7th gen civic is * 4800rpm while the 8th gen is * 4300rpm [AFAIK]

10. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Helios
    Australia used to build V8 engines for their Holden vehicles which are now supplied by GM. Witness V8 in pure action in Aussies' V8 Supercars and US NASCAR. More valves or cylinders mean more mulah. You can get equivalent and cheaper results with a forced induction engine just by adding a supercharger unit. Although NA engines for me all the way baby.
    Yung mahirap sa boost is more pressure + more burn = need for stronger cylinders & pistons.

That's why hindi lang basta-basta salpak turbo sa 4g63, naging Evo na.

Yung 4g63 ng evo, among other things, reinforced cylinders & pistons nun... kaya mahal.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
anong ibig sabhin ng v8 at v12