49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 38.78%
  • No

30 61.22%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Is 100kph enough as the maximum speed limit on our highways?

My arguments for increasing our speed limit (to even 120 or 140kph):

- most accidents do not occur due to high-speed driving, the last two SLEX accidents that I've heard occurred due to using the shoulder as the passing lane.

- speed limit should be classified per vehicle type. heck, almost all vehicles (even jeepneys) can run 100kph but can their vehicle handle it? IMO it should be like this:

cars from 1980 onwards: 120-140kph
    cars below 1980: 100kph
    buses, jeepneys and trucks: 80kph

- lane segregation should also be looked closely (as this has the biggest impact on traffic condition and road safety - NOT speed limit). ALL large vehicles should be relegated to the rightmost lane (as they block the view area of most vehicles - seen this working in singapore). slowpokes should also be shooed away from the passing lane.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    naku...bihira ka nga makakakita ng tumatakbo ng below 100kph sa expressways natin eh...maluwag masyado enforcers dyan dahil alam siguro nilang kulang...tingnan natin ngayong december kung maghihigpit nga sila tuald ng sabi fafa Ungas....

dapat talaga itaas nila ang speedlimit dyan para legal na ta k bo ng karamihan...kulang kasi ang 100kph lalo na kapag maluwag sa n/sLEX...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    No.

- On the contrary, running with <100kph in left most lane (fast lane) ang dapat pa nga i-apprehend. Disgrasya at hassle ang mga sasakyan na slow sa mga fast moving cars. upto 140kph is enough for me.

- Sa right most lane naman (shoulder lane), running with >100kph ang dapat hulihin. Kapag mabilis ka kasi dito disgrasya malamang ang abot mo.

- Sa middle lanes naman, i think you have to maintain at least 80kph or up to 100kph.

- lane segregation nga ang dapat nilang gawin dito.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In a perfect world, we should not even have speed limits, but alas, we dont live in one.

Yes, vehicle condition allows some people to go past 100 or even 150... but you do have to consider the intangibles

Yes, I agree that speed in itself does not an accident make..... so what does? again It's the intangibles.

Simply put, excessive speed, although fun, reduces reaction time. Sige I'll give you young guns out there with all your libido the benefit of the doubt that you can go fast and then some, but are you prepared or even aware of the intangibles? Like sudden mechanical failure (yours and the other guy's), sudden pedestrian activity, bovine crossings etc.

Im sure merong hihirit dito na 'problema nung ibang tao', 'tanga pedestrian', 'kaya ko mabilis' etc. But the fact of the matter is, no one ever admitted they caused and accident.... but accidents still happen!

Speed = Distance / Time. Do the math.

Oh, and high speed crashes are oh so spectacular.... just as long as it's not me in the Police Video hehe

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In the philippines, laws mean nothing because none of them are implemented, whatever "good idea" one may think won't mean crap, nothing is governed anyway.

Did you know that by law, our emission standards rival those of California? hehe, see the point?

How in the world can you govern car-era speeds? Even if it was implemented? The officer will know by one look whether a car is pre-80 or not? What if your car falls in between 78-84 like a Benz 123?

Doesn't make sense... What this country need isn't a speed limit, but simple common sense and courtesy in road usage.

Roads in the US are so wide and well paved, most states have a 55mph highway speed limit or 65 at the most, that's 88 and 104 kph respectively, they drive around in V6 3.0 up...

Doesn't make sense, you can lift the limit up to 1000000 kph and Phil traffic will be THE SAME.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    PK,

what am suggesting is just to increase the speed limit to around 120-140kph. 120kph being the most sane choice. not above 140kph... even I can say that 140kph is already a bit overboard in our streets (since you can pass most vehicles even at 90kph).

btw, is "excessive speed" necessarily drivng above 100kph?

like when am going to pampangga or bataan. travelling at 100kph is a DRAG along the NLEX. plus, am talking here about the rehabilitated NLEX in particular. smoooooooooooooooth roads... you wouldn't even notice 100kph. heck, even jeepneys can run upto 100kph... i've tried tailing some jeepneys and sure enough that they can run like hell...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    100 kph is already pretty dangerous on OUR highways, since there are far too many idiots on them (examples: highway driving on defective taillights, bald tires, etc.; swerving drivers; drivers who don't look at their mirrors before overtaking; drivers who follow too closelyetc etc etc)

if traffic is smart, kahit 140 yung limit safe pa rin siguro

mazdamazda,

nanghuhuli ba sa NLEX?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I can't answer that question... I both AGREE and DISAGREE with the current speed limit.

If you go far afield, out on the smooth provincial highways or on the Skyway, even speeds up to 200km/h can be achieved with very little risk to the driver or the car.

But I disagree with allowing ALL motor vehicles past this speed on any highway. In fact, I think that anything 2 tons and over should be limited to 120 kph or less..., while PUVs AUVs, trucks and buses should be limited to 80kph due to safety considerations.

I may be an admitted "speed freak", but I have serious issues with people hitting 120+++ kph in vehicles not built for this. The Crosswind scares me whenever we even approach 100kph!

And since multiple limits cannot be observed, at least until we have Autobahn smooth highways with lanes enough for all speeds of traffic, then the speed limit will continue to suck.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Tignan nyo lang nangyayari sa Commonwealth ave kunwari, when we were living in Batasan back in the 80's 2 lane each lang yun, ngayon 5-6 lanes na each way, ganun parin ang flow... San kayo nakakita ng 5 lane, non-highway road sa abroad hehe... Hanggat lilipat ng kaliwa't kanan mga drivers dito, useless ang road improvement.

Sa US 2 lanes lang highway usually unless interstate, di naman nagtratrafic because people stick to their lane UNLESS PASSING. Dito di marunong prumeno mga tao, kung may nagslowdown sa lane, first response is to swerve, not slow down...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    The question is are our drivers capable of handling speeds in excess of 100kph. Local driver training, testing and evaluation is a joke. If you follow what's prescribed by the law people will call you anti-poor.

Are our roads designed to handle travel in excess of 100kph? I highly doubt it and if any attempt is made it will require more $$$. $$$ isnt something the govt has in excess and people will whine about any toll rate hike to pay for improvements.

Another question is the vehicles on the road up to par to travel at those speeds. I've seen a lot of neglected cars that have defective lights, brake badly and appear on the verge on falling apart. They're not apprehended for obvious reasons and I do not want those death traps traveling beyond 100kph. Not everyone can afford to maintain their vehicle and not everyone knows jack about car care either.

For most of the 4 million+ vehicles registered with the LTO 100kph is more than adequate as a legal limit.

Dapat hulihin ang under the speed limit. People who go under 60kph should be caught and have their cars impounded. They're the cause of slow vehicular travel any time of the day.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Is 100kph enough?