New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    To the owners, wala ba kayong napapansin na amoy usok or diesel sa cabin? Yun kasi ang sinasabi sakin ng kapatid ko on his 2023 model. I have a 2017 explorer and experienced it sa unit ko pero pag nag hard acceleration lang. Other than this wala naman ibang glitches ang 2023 nya.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    That's a common issue with Ford Explorers and should've been fixed under warranty / recall ... there's a class action suit in the US regarding this ...

3. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gongrhey View Post
    To the owners, wala ba kayong napapansin na amoy usok or diesel sa cabin? Yun kasi ang sinasabi sakin ng kapatid ko on his 2023 model. I have a 2017 explorer and experienced it sa unit ko pero pag nag hard acceleration lang. Other than this wala naman ibang glitches ang 2023 nya.
    Wala naman and close to 1 year of usage already; odometer reading at 10,400km++

Under what circumstances/situation did your kapatid smell the diesel in the cabin? On idle in an enclosed place? While running? I rarely idle for more than 5 minutes but in an open place (rarely in parking basements) and I have not experienced it. Worse idling is when I am waiting for a parking slot to open up in a mall basement parking in NCR but less than 10 minutes.

While running or in traffic naman none at all but I am not in your usual NCR traffic jam. Traffic is much less stressful (although mayroon naman from time to time) here in the probins.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 111prez View Post
    Wala naman and close to 1 year of usage already; odometer reading at 10,400km++

Under what circumstances/situation did your kapatid smell the diesel in the cabin? On idle in an enclosed place? While running? I rarely idle for more than 5 minutes but in an open place (rarely in parking basements) and I have not experienced it. Worse idling is when I am waiting for a parking slot to open up in a mall basement parking in NCR but less than 10 minutes.

While running or in traffic naman none at all but I am not in your usual NCR traffic jam. Traffic is much less stressful (although mayroon naman from time to time) here in the probins.
    During acceleration (arangkada) daw nila napapansin, same experience pala sila ng friend nya both with bi-turbo. So advise ko na lang sa kanya to accelerate smoothly. Pina check na daw nya sa casa, walang solution na ibinigay.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    That's a very well documented problem of Ford Explorers ... happens during hard acceleration ... and there's a fix for that ... it's the bumper vent ...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gongrhey View Post
    During acceleration (arangkada) daw nila napapansin, same experience pala sila ng friend nya both with bi-turbo. So advise ko na lang sa kanya to accelerate smoothly. Pina check na daw nya sa casa, walang solution na ibinigay.
    Could be a problem unique to the bi-turbo models? I only have the turbo unit at palagi ako nakaarangkada (humahataw) as I use the SLEX at least 5 times a week kaya high mileage kaagad ako. Plus I pass through some uphill roads.

I wonder kung saan pumapasok ang amoy nito?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    That's a common issue with Ford Explorers and should've been fixed under warranty / recall ... there's a class action suit in the US regarding this ...
    The conclusion to that saga was released early this year lang! NHTSA found that the issues were actually caused by the modifications made by the police departments and other fleet operators to the Explorer.

Source: Feds Exonerate Ford Explorer, Blame Carbon Monoxide Issues On Upfitters And Repairs | Carscoops

Although it did find elevated levels, NHTSA’s investigation found that the highest levels of carbon monoxide were found in Explorers that had either received upfitting services (the kind intended to turn the Explorer into a police cruiser and performed by dealers or government fleet operations) and after repairs had been made following rear end damage.

It found that “sealing issues” caused by these repairs and modifications were to blame for elevated levels of carbon monoxide. Indeed, those were the only circumstances in which under which this was an issue.

“No vehicles unaffected by upfitter issues or prior crash damage were identified with CO levels that exceed accepted occupational CO exposure levels,” NHTSA wrote. “This investigation finds that the 2011-2017 Ford Explorer vehicles when accurately measured produce occupant compartment CO levels which fall below current accepted health standards, and could not identify [carboxyhemoglobin] levels for vehicle drivers or other occupants, which exceeded thresholds for acute physiological effects.”

As a result, the regulator says that the Explorer does not present an “unreasonable risk to motor vehicle safety.” It has now closed its investigation, and will not be recommending a recall.
    So in the end it wasn't a problem with the car at all, but caused by unapproved modifications. If you do have this problem though the "fix" done by Ford was to reprogram the A/C (IIRC so that it doesn't automatically switch to vent after a while), check the liftgate seals, and modify the exhaust so that it points downwards.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 111prez View Post
    Could be a problem unique to the bi-turbo models? I only have the turbo unit at palagi ako nakaarangkada (humahataw) as I use the SLEX at least 5 times a week kaya high mileage kaagad ako. Plus I pass through some uphill roads.

I wonder kung saan pumapasok ang amoy nito?
    Bumper vent ...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    So in the end it wasn't a problem with the car at all, but caused by unapproved modifications. If you do have this problem though the "fix" done by Ford was to reprogram the A/C (IIRC so that it doesn't automatically switch to vent after a while), check the liftgate seals, and modify the exhaust so that it points downwards.

Guess the other private owners were just imagining the smelling the exhaust fumes ...

10. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Guess the other private owners were just imagining the smelling the exhaust fumes ...
    O hindi naka press ang air recirculation button.

I noticed sa mga american branded vehicles that the default setting is that this is off.

Sa Everest, naka on naman ang default but I noticed that there are times when I first start the car, open the window, drive until the temp gauge hits the first bar (after the blue portion), and then when I turn the A/C on the air recirculation button is not engaged. I have to press this manually again.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast