The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Anybody read the article yet?

A Story of Slavery in Modern America - The Atlantic

EDIT: Fixed link

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jut703; May 17th, 2017 at 11:21 PM.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Anybody read the article yet?

https://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/...?itok=2kjNOm2d

Me TS, what about u? How long did u took to finish reading the article? Its nice one though[emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Hmmm

Eto lang nakikita ko pag inopen yung link.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    link looks suspicious...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Oops sorry wrong link. 😔 Fixed it.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by erdiedizon View Post
    Me TS, what about u? How long did u took to finish reading the article? Its nice one though[emoji24][emoji24]

Read it when I woke up this morning. It was trending by the afternoon with a lot of commentary.

I particularly like how it discusses in the open the whole spectrum of domestic help. Have had some pretty deep discussions with my friends on the complicity of the author. I'm on the stand that while ideally the whole setup should've been reported and rectified earlier on, the reality is that very few people would turn in their parents and willingly face deportation.

I also like how it touches on the reality that domestic help is a critical, yet grossly undervalued, part of one's successful career.

Many people in this forum have maids. They get paid a few thousand pesos a month, but what most people don't see is that their contribution to household chores and child-rearing free up time for the heads of the family to work.

Instead of having to wash dishes, do laundry, cook breakfast, or even watch over the kids, people are free to focus on their professions or their businesses. Yet maids get paid a very small amount compared to the intrinsic value they bring. It's the unfortunate reality that supply far outweighs demand, and that many domestic helpers are okay with meager wages. It's basically capitalism at work - outsourcing your household tasks to someone else to free up time for other ventures.

It was slavery in the 60s, but even today, a diluted version of the story still exists in many households.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Browsed through it. Dam ninjas cutting onions 😢

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i did this morning. she deserved back pay. if she had only the means to sue them she would have probably bankrupted the whole family. BUT she loved the kids and for some reason the mother. i think, later when she was already living with the author, the $200 per week allowance was not enough. the other children should have given some more.

i remember there was this filipina maid who was maltreated by an american family just 2 or 3 years back (?) who was awarded a big amount by the court.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    i did this morning. she deserved back pay. if she had only the means to sue them she would have probably bankrupted the whole family. BUT she loved the kids and for some reason the mother. i think, later when she was already living with the author, the $200 per week allowance was not enough. the other children should have given some more.

i remember there was this filipina maid who was maltreated by an american family just 2 or 3 years back (?) who was awarded a big amount by the court.
    I don't think money would've made her happy in her later years. After 5 decades of knowing nothing but the confines of their home, the unending chores, and the herculean task of tending not only to the kids but also to the author's mom, I don't think money could've sufficiently solved the problem.

Lola obviously did not subscribe to the materialistic western way of life. What would've made her happy was to be with her parents before they died. This was acknowledged by the author, though he was helpless altogether.

When she finally got the chance to go home, it was too late, and at that point I'm sure she realized that her life in America as the family's slave was all the life that she had. At the very least, I find consolation in the fact that the author made an effort to let Lola enjoy her life in her later years.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast