New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    Imo, Turbos are like cheating on olympic sports like on illegal steroids, and could cause damage in the long term for the sports player.
    Turbos still has a certain appeal which is why I'm trying to keep my Laser within the family. I rather sign it over free to a relative than sell it to a stranger.

Anyway, a turbocharged engine is as valid as a N/A or supercharged engine. So long as people know what it means to own a turbo car then, there's no problem. Since most turbo car owners tend to be enthusiasts, maintenance costs are well...... irrelevant is the wrong word. Bah. it's too early in the morning to think......
    Right now, if I was still single and lived in an apartment or condo, I'd probably have a turbo car of some sort in the parking lot. That turbocharged Pontiac Solstice looks mighty appealing. Also, I still long for a GMC Syclone. If I can find one in good shape.

http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/gm/9192gmcs.htm

Add: Subaru's probably the only company that have turbocharged cars right with its 2.5L turbo 4.

2.5L is pretty big for a 4-cylinder. Most other turbocharged cars have 2.0L or less. Maybe that extra 0.5L makes a difference.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; July 28th, 2007 at 07:11 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Add: Subaru's probably the only company that have turbocharged cars right with its 2.5L turbo 4.

2.5L is pretty big for a 4-cylinder. Most other turbocharged cars have 2.0L or less. Maybe that extra 0.5L makes a difference.
    I think the 2.5li was done so they could run less boost and pass US/EU emissions, and cut down manufacturing costs, using displacement instead of sophistication.

The Japanese STIs still have 2.0li engines, but actually produce better power (320hp for the S204 and RA-R, vs 300hp for US cars and 280hp elsewhere), and have more torque than the international market 2.5lis (320lb-ft JDM S204, RA-R, 310lb-ft STi, vs 300lb-ft for the 2.5li cars).

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    2.5 is kinda an awkward size for inline-fours... it's big enough to have balance problems that 2 liter and below engines don't have... but then, a lot of manufacturers are going up that scale now, using balancer shafts to keep the engines from vibrating to pieces at high revs.

Subaru's advantage is that the boxer design makes smooth running a doodle even at that size, so even though they have the extra cost and complexity of running a boxer, they have less issues with the engine harmonics themselves... and man do they rev creamy.

Man, that was one of the first "sports" trucks, right? Would be interesting to have...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Syclone's 500lb bed capacity was it's weak point. The truck can only haul itself! hehehe.

But the Syclone and it's SUV counterpart (the Typhoon) are two of the more significant vehicles in recent automotive history.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    The Syclone's 500lb bed capacity was it's weak point. The truck can only haul itself! hehehe.

But the Syclone and it's SUV counterpart (the Typhoon) are two of the more significant vehicles in recent automotive history.
    The Syclone's actually a pretty small truck with a turbocharged V6 and AWD. It's more like a 2-seat sports car with a huge trunk. Most people who bought it treated it as such.

It does illustrate the thread's premise since during the heydays of the Syclone, there was also the Chevy 454 SS which was the big-displacement, N/A rival to the Syclone. Of course stock, the Syclone would spank the Chevy. But, I rarely saw a Chevy 454 SS in stock form. Every single one I've seen were modded in some way.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Man, that was one of the first "sports" trucks, right? Would be interesting to have...
    I'm not sure if it was the first. I think the Chevy (Silverado) 454 SS was around a bit earlier. At least, I've seen a few 454 SS before I saw a Syclone. I didn't see a Syclone until late 1992. By then, I learned to watch out for the 454 SS. But, the Syclone was totally unknown to me. The first time I saw one (in Idaho) was when I got smoked by one.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    some people hate those whistle sounds. while I'm loving it. sounds like a Airplane... heck, I could trade for more louder whistle (not from air-leaks) than a louder exhaust.

though D4D's turbo sounds different (not too music for my ears). but whistle sound engages earlier compared to the old toyo's. (probably lesser lag than before?)

some engines when turned off, you could still hear the turbo as sound pitches go down. man... it is like a airplane shutting down it's engines.

alam ko:

may 1.3 na turbo->4E-FTE-->paborito ng small-body rolla/charade owners..

ang toyota may: 1.6L 4a-ge in various forms:16-valve, supercharged, 20-valve, 20 valve-VVT at yung modified formula-atlantic ba yun... all 1.6L, pero iba iba ang power...

mitsu 4g92: mivec at non-mivec, turbo 4g63: sohc,dohc, turbo, non-turbo, and sa evo9 na MIVEC-turbo

eto alam ko matindi: 2.0 SR20DET lalo na yung SR20VET-->280ps *factory rate!

9. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    the cyclone was a a very tricked out truck back in the early 90s but if its american turbo cars were talkin here..who can forget the GNX.thats one mean V6 with a turbo from buick

the last of its kind.the buick GNX547

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee View Post
    the cyclone was a a very tricked out truck back in the early 90s but if its american turbo cars were talkin here..who can forget the GNX.thats one mean V6 with a turbo from buick

the last of its kind.the buick GNX547
    Nice. But, I also have to consider the 20th Anniversary Trans Am which was also a RWD turbo V6 and was slotted between the GNX and the Syclone. Well, they're all GM cars. That makes them family.

But, it's the same trend with the turbo 4's. Everyone wanted bigger cars with big engines in them instead of turbos. Anyone remember the 1984 Ford Mustang SVT which had a 2.3L turbocharged 4? Back then, memories of the last energy crisis was still fresh.

Add: I would say turbocharged cars have improved since those days. How much? I don't know. At least from my point of view, not enough. To me, it doesn't matter. The fun factor outweighs the maintenance costs although my wife have something to say about that......

But, among old-timers especially, there still exist the stigma of the leaky, high-maintenance turbo engine.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; July 30th, 2007 at 04:38 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Why all the Big NA Engines?