New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mbt
    having driven an everest on a highway run, i respectfully disagree.
    test driven lang..sa parking lot ng QC gen. hospital,e....kaya un ang impression ko,e...pero i never expect it to be a highway performer,e...

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Like bluebimmer said if money is no object I also like to have an 1000HP or more.but Im already satisfied putting an H22 or B20 engine with a HP of 500hp or more on a honda civic hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by gearspeed
    Like bluebimmer said if money is no object I also like to have an 1000HP or more.
    and if possible a rolls-royce jet engine or an aircraft carrier engine under the hood.... :bwahaha:

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    meron ako dito 2 units 4500 hp 16 cylinder diesel roots blown EMD645 saka 2 units 2050 hp 12 cylinder diesel roots blown EMD645, gusto nyo kabit nyo sa car nyo ehehehehe! kaya lang dapat 18 wheeler car nyo to carry the weight!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In the US, the Mazda3 has a variant. Mazda3 with a 2.0 turbo AWD. I think it was 240HP and cheaper than the Mitsu EVO. That would be a hoot to drive around Metro Manila. :D

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    internal combustion engines need to have very high HP ratings because they have a non-optimal torque curve, and maximum output happens at high RPMs whereas most of the time you're driving at low RPMs.

the typical engine (even a turbo) would have peak HP output at say 4500rpm or 6000rpm, but if you look at the power curve, at 2000rpm it's only putting out 30% to 40% of peak power. so a 200hp car would be "only" 60-80hp at low RPMs where it counts. that's why the peak output has to be so high.

i read an article about a guy who made a car that dusts most supercars for breakfast (3.9s 0-60mph). it "only" had a 320hp engine (actually four electric motors of 80hp each) and about 1000 notebook li-ion batteries for power.

series-wound electric motors put out "nearly infinite" torque when their rotor is stalled, limited only by the amount of current you can put into them, and whether they will melt down or not. and their power curve is flat. this is why they are very popular for transport applications (e.g. electric car, MRT, Arleigh Burke class guided missile destroyer... although note the older Perry class frigates and Spruance DDG's use GE turbines, not electric drive)

the future isn't internal combustion, it's electric.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    GH, the 2.0 mazda in the US is not afaik AWD. it's something along the lines of the mazdaspeed 2003.5, the 2.0 turbo AWD is the mazda6. not yet ought AFAIK...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    isa pa pala.. electric transport needs no tranny or clutch, which is also an HP-wasting component... you can fine-control the speed using just pulse width modulation.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    When it comes to horsepower, how high is enough?

when it can manage 0~100KMH * 3.9sec less
    sporty if 7.0sec
    and enough/average * 10sec..>>hehe

Problem with "pure" electric cars is charging time, takes too long to charge... AFAIK.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
When it comes to horsepower, how high is enough?