New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by calcite View Post
    I suggest that you buy the parts and pay the service station for the labor and the oils.
    +1 on this.

I also recently had my timing belt, tensioner bearings, pulleys and oil seals replaced. Binili ko yung original parts from Banawe (Mit-Parts) then I had them installed sa isang shop sa Pasig. Cost me way less than it would have kung sa casa ko pinagawa lahat.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    On the other hand if a shop will give you a warranty on your parts, then it might be better to go that route. Just make sure they use the parts you like that they can also warranty.

Agree with above comments - tensioner, oil seals, change oil ka na rin (and filter), and all drive belts. Might also be just the right time to check and adjust timing if necessary.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Can I take this opportunity to ask kung kailangan na ba dapat palitan ang timing belt ng sasakyan ko (Nissan Terrano '98) Halos once a week ko lang ginagamit or for out of town trips lang, mileage ngayon ay 67K, di pa sya napalitan simula umpisa, pero mukhang ok pa naman, walang pang sira and band nya. Tnx for the help.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GaLynxmo View Post
    Can I take this opportunity to ask kung kailangan na ba dapat palitan ang timing belt ng sasakyan ko (Nissan Terrano '98) Halos once a week ko lang ginagamit or for out of town trips lang, mileage ngayon ay 67K, di pa sya napalitan simula umpisa, pero mukhang ok pa naman, walang pang sira and band nya. Tnx for the help.
    I suggest palitan mo na, regardless of frequency of use, and even if the original timing belt still looks good for another 60,000kms. Engine damage as a result of a snapped timing belt is a high price to pay, compared to the cost of simply replacing the belt. For best results, consult your owner's manual, or you can have it evaluated at a competent service shop.

I was inspecting the original timing belt that came with my ride, mukhang ok pa rin kung tutuusin; no frays, no cracks and the rubber wasn't very brittle (umabot pa ng 70,000kms). Pero nung hindi ko pa pinapalitan, pansin ko na mahina ang hatak ng makina, plus hindi ako makabiyahe ng out-of-town due to the constant fear of having the timing belt snap in the middle of the trip.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; November 15th, 2007 at 03:00 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    +1

yep, ganyan din ginawa ko. bili ng orig parts sa casa then pinagawa sa labas na trusted shop. sobra nakamura ako.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    oops double post

7. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GaLynxmo View Post
    I think there are Terrano model that uses timing chain instead of timing belt which last longer. so make sure what your engine has. If its a belt I think its already overdue. khit mababa pa mileage mo. para lang din mga tires, khit dipa kalbo, pero kung masyado ng matagal need na rin palitan kc brittle na.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the Comments.

So i will:
    Buy OEM Parts, especially Timing belt, + Change Oil +/- Tune Up? +
    Ok lng cguro kung sa Suking Talyer na lng sa amin noh? may warranty xa eh, and my tiwala naman kami sa kanya... Update ko tong thread if anu magging balita,
    + Cguro sabayan ko na rin ng Engine wash.. hehe

OT: may magcchange ba sa performance?? about sa said topic?

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mackkcam View Post
    Thanks for the Comments.

So i will:
    Buy OEM Parts, especially Timing belt, + Change Oil +/- Tune Up? +
    Ok lng cguro kung sa Suking Talyer na lng sa amin noh? may warranty xa eh, and my tiwala naman kami sa kanya... Update ko tong thread if anu magging balita,
    + Cguro sabayan ko na rin ng Engine wash.. hehe

OT: may magcchange ba sa performance?? about sa said topic?
    +1

Mas ok nga kung sa suki mong talyer ipagawa - para may tiwala ka. But better to ask the mechanic if he has done any t-belt replacement on a Civic. Better still if he has a workshop/service manual for your car. The manual will show the timing marks and torque settings.

After t-belt replacement and if the car's timing was set correctly, your car should run better. No need to ask for a separate re-timing for your car since that should be included in the t-belt replacement.

And make sure that he installs and dates the sticker that came with the belt. The sticker will be proof that the t-belt was replaced and when.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Bogeyman, Roninblade, driver, and all the other guys who responded to the poster's query thanks and your efforts are greatly appreciated. Its guys like you who makes people like me cant resist coming back for more. Mabuhay kayo!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Timing Belt Question