New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2009
    PART 2:REASSEMBLY

I cleaned out the bolt holes using the headbolts to bottom out any debris then pump air again many times and clean again and so on. cleaning the holes using a tap may widen the hole and the bolts can lose clamping force.

These are the water jackets in between cylinders. Now you have two holes. After Placing the gasket, now you have only one hole...all previous gaskets are also the same wrt the holes.

I decided to disconnect timing belt and check the oil ring. In just one revolution, some oil are left clingin on the liner walls. signs of oil ring wear.

Now install the head gasket and check the orientation of the holes... a quick guide is the long hole which should be located at the rear left when facing the engine....

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    Houston, we've got a problem!....no hole in block but gasket have one. i don't know why...is this a universal gasket?

Again, using the assy guide for the assembly process. Take note of the rough part of the headbolt washer. It must face the bottom of the head of the bolt to prevent it from turning loose

I dipped the threaded portion in SAE40 oil before install. the headbolt lengths were the same: 105mm (below the head down to the ends). Headbolt are waisted at the shank.

Finger tighten first

Then snug-tighten using a ratchet

3. Join Date
    May 2009
    This is the part where "Machete" would be of great help: Torquing the headbolts!
    What I did (with special mention to fellow tsikoteer mechanics who provided me tips on torquing the bolts: jick and lexxus) was to divide the torquing to 3 stages. since the indicated torques are usually 80% of the yield strength of the bolts, the approx 87 lbsft torque was divided to 20 lbsft, then 40 and then 87. Actually I torqued to a little bit greater than 87. In between the 2nd and 3rd stages, I had a "yosi break" for about 10 minutes to settle the bolts and gaskets. I was hardup on 40, how much more on 87. Therefore i need a break. Also don't forget to apply new silicone sealant on the halfmoon on the rear of the head. It's a leak-prone area.

Now install rocker arm and shaft assy. finger-lickin tight and then ratchet-snug tight. Notice the fresh oil..it will help during the initial priming process before start-up of the engine. Take note also of the chamfer side of the washer. It must face down (the rocker shaft).

I used cable ties again to keep sprocket from moving...

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    I used again cable ties to keep the rocker arms from springing out of position.

Valve Clearance adjustment is recommended after the headbolt tightening...not before. 0.15mm on a cold mitsu 4d56. 0.25 when hot.

TIMING
    Install the belt "by-the-book"

then check the timing. rotate by the crankshaft nut about 3 revolutions and check if timing marks align.

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    Put back all engine ancillaries (manifolds, gaskets, PS pump, V-belts and so on)

Refill water coolant

Change the oil

Prime the turbo with engine oil

Also, don't forget to prime the injection pump down to the pipes before starting the engine.

Radiator had no bubbling after or any pressure build-up when still cold...

Whole job cost me 2 days...buti na lang mahabang weekend that time.
    Gasket = PhP500
    Engine oil = P670
    Special hex socket tool = PhP 350
    Torque wrench = borrowed
    Experience = priceless

Pickup has been running fine for about 3 months now and already racking up 6,000 km after the Head Gasket replacement. I didn't even retightened and adjusted valve clearance up to now. Got no time for that yet.

Well, these are my methods. It can't be the perfect method since this was my first time to do this. I've been doing brake jobs, tune-ups, driveline and a little bit of suspension repairs for the past years. This was my first time to do engine minor surgery. anybody can also share theirs. It's a forum.

Hope this helps other tsikoteers on their future DIYs.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Very Nice write up sir!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Haanneepp! Job well done... sir!

8. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Galing naman. Sana magawa ko rin yang ganyan marunong sa makina.

9. Join Date
    May 2009
    sirs edtf, albert, red and samcoy: salamat

sir sam: you can do it also...this write-up will be your guiding light....amen.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    * miked... just in case you're near bulacan and in need of testers/tools (compression, transmission, cooling, leakdown, timing , pneumatic tools, impact driver, torque wrench (1/4 & 3/4dr) obd scanner, etc....) just let me know, im glad to lend it to you for your project. regards..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
test pic muna...hehe