New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    i checked this out last night. for my 97 EK, with racing filter, headers, muffler, 100kph is at 5th gear, 2800-2900rpm, 2 passengers only.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tama si max... gearing is what affects rpm * speed rather than engine displacement... shorter gearing (num. higher) would give faster acceleration but a lower top speed and a higher rpm at a certain speed (more noise and higher fuel consumption).

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mbt
    tama si max... gearing is what affects rpm * speed rather than engine displacement... shorter gearing (num. higher) would give faster acceleration but a lower top speed and a higher rpm at a certain speed (more noise and higher fuel consumption).
    bago lang po ako dito, pero may tanong lang. Shorter gear ratio is fast shifting but not neccesarily a faster acceleration. Akala ko faster acceleration needs more Torque and and Top speed or high end power needs higher HP?! Kung shorter ang gear ratio at mabilis kang mag shift pero wala namang torque, wala ding power sa acceleration. To achieve a higher top speed, kelangan malakas ang HP mo.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2003
    does it matter how hard u push the car? And I don't mean literally pushing. :mrgreen:

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A shorter gear ratio (numerically higher) will allow the engine to spin sooner to redline and move the car at a faster rate of acceleration sicne the load to be overcome is lessened and the torque given by the engine is multiplied greater (in effect) due to the short gearing.

Pero it ultimately depends on how well matched the gear ratios are in respect the to the engine's output as well as the road you are driving on. I've driven a 280 wheel HP (about 350-360 HP * the crank) Evo but with similar gearing to mine (4.9 final drive) and it didn't feel that much faster since kulang na yung load sa makina. This was on a level road. A few months after he switched to a different tranny with a 4.6 final drive and taller 4th and 5th gear ratios and the improvement was remarkable, parang all new car siya since the engine output was properly matched to the gearing and hence the load.

So hindi lang torque o HP iyan pero how matched these all are.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Having said all these, it's not a CAUSATION...its a CORRELATION :wink:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    all things (including the same engine output) remaining equal, a car with shorter overall gearing will accelerate faster but have a lower top speed than the same car with taller gearing...

like, the fact that 1st gear is shorter than 2nd gear in your vehicle is the reason why it accelerates faster in 1st than in 2nd. at the same time, it could be going 60 kph at 6000 rpm in 1st gear while going 60 kph in 2nd gear at just say, 3500 rpm.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Whoa! very informative!

Have question though, if one plans to change gear ratios from short to tall (or vise versa), what do he need to actually change? And, are the parts that are changed readily available or are they custom made?

I assume that the parts that need to be replaced are specific to the trannies in which they will be placed.

Hope to hear from you guys! Thanks

Gian

:D

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Gian,

i think the easiest way to do that is to swap out your differential gear for one with a numerically lower or higher overall ratio... mahirap yata mag change ng gears in the tranny...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Really depends on the tranny. Some can have a simple differential change wherein the final drive is tied into it. Others need to replace a set of gears to change the final drive.

Changing specific gear ratios is also possible but is not necessarily applicable for all trannies. As an example, with the Lancer Evo's (4-6.5) tranny, there are 2 different sets of gear ratios from 1st-5th gear available from the factory and 2 final drive ratios also available from the factory, depending on what you will specify if you buy it from a Ralli-Art / MMC dealer, and another 2 aftermarket final drive ratios made by CUSCO and HKS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Tanong lang regarding speed with respect sa rpm