Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    2014 toyota altis curb weight 2799 lbs

1/2" steel cable safe load 4200 lbs
    break point load 21400 lbs

7/8" steel cable safe load 12900 lbs
    break point load 64400 lbs

compare the 1/2 inch steel cable to the shaft of the rear shock absorber although the shaft is solid and the cable is stranded

compare the 1/8 inch steel cable to the front strut shaft again, the strut shaft is solid and the cable is stranded

even if you hang the whole car on the weaker shock absorber from one side by itself, the shaft should be able to support the weight without significant elasticity.

but the unsprung weight ( the weight of the suspension components that are not supported by the spring when the car is on the ground, i.e., inflated tires on a wheel, brake caliper, brake hose, the brake fluid inside the caliper, the caliper mount, the strut itself and everything on it, it will not amount to 200 pounds per wheel.

now son, ask for a refund from your physics instructor
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; March 18th, 2023 at 04:49 PM.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    Sakit ata ng Honda? hehe
    I really hope so. How about if I don't brake na sa humps. How about yung humps na pangit/steep in BGC sa may mind museum?
    Just observe ... might settle after a few days ... or could be just the shocks have given up ... it's ironic that whenever we have car serviced at dealer (specially old ones), there seems to be more problems after we get the car back ...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    TL;DR

There you have it Cathy ... there is nothing wrong with your shocks according to geometry calculations ... must've also imagined whatever was wrong with the shocks in CR-V before ... but who are we to argue with an expert from abroad ...
    Last edited by Walter; March 18th, 2023 at 09:56 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    If I had a job I would, if I get a windfall of money, that's the first thing I will do nga. Saka diba dito sa Tsikot may mga hindi gusto ang CVT? Parang disposable car ata or something?
    Toyota, Mitsubishi and Subaru CVTs have proven to be pretty reliable long term, but if you break it parang no one local knows how to fix it short of replacing the entire transmission.

I wouldn't mind one in a car that I buy new, but at the same time I'd probably sell it off after 5-7 years. Sagad na siguro to keep it 10 years.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    Toyota, Mitsubishi and Subaru CVTs have proven to be pretty reliable long term, but if you break it parang no one local knows how to fix it short of replacing the entire transmission.

I wouldn't mind one in a car that I buy new, but at the same time I'd probably sell it off after 5-7 years. Sagad na siguro to keep it 10 years.
    Jit is 2023. i don't know how long nissan or jatco has been making their cvts but you would think they would have figured to make it reliable already by now? i have no idea how current nissan cvts are holding up.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Just observe ... might settle after a few days ... or could be just the shocks have given up ... it's ironic that whenever we have car serviced at dealer (specially old ones), there seems to be more problems after we get the car back ...
    that's so true. I can't forget when my car was oversprayed when I brought it for service. If the owner isn't particular with the paint hindi mapapansin.

Even my SA for almost 10 years that I am "chummy" with keeps on adding useless stuff every time I PMS Alam naman niya na EVERY TIME I will have it removed, pinapahaba pa process It seems like protocol na nila yun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post

Oh no!!! It means I really have to sell my car on the 10th year I usually keep my cars for 15 yrs (when problems from old age e hindi na maiiwasan)
    Last edited by _Cathy_; March 20th, 2023 at 10:14 PM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008

Oh no!!! It means I really have to sell my car on the 10th year I usually keep my cars for 15 yrs (when problems from old age e hindi na maiiwasan)
    of course not!
    you're just paranoid.
    there are many same-year model cars as yours, with several times your mileage, and still running fine.

8. Join Date
    May 2014
    That really depends on y your ownership experience. For anecdotal personal experience, as long you will be "aware" of changes to shifting behavior of your CVT and have fluids changed, if and when resets/software updates do not address the behavioral "change", then you should be good.

Owner 2008 Honda City i-Dsi CVT. We sold it early 2022, so owned it for about (almost) 14 years. It had CVTF changed a total of 4 times if memory serves me right, 4th year, 7th year, 10th year and 13th year through the course of its life. It has had CVT Resets done about 3 times outside of the CVTF change at Honda Casa because battery was removed causing odd shifting behavior or "skipping" of (virtual) gear. almost 90k kms in the Odo at the time we sold it, Honda also checked it and CVT was overall fine, we never really used the "manual mode" except for checking of skipping gears, and I can't remember if it was a "clutch pack" or "flywheel" that needed replacement to remove "Shudder" when you are in Drive and at full stop. The car will shake if you keep it in drive with the brakes applied. So you really have to shift to Neutral. Buyer was informed about this as well as the "quirk" of CVT when it comes to lag time before it really "gets going". hehe!

2014 Nissan Sylphy 1.6CVT is my current daily. Only 40k kms right now, have had CVTF changed at around 28k kms in the odo as I observed odd behavior after using it to go up Mt Samat even after a "cool down". I used both Sport and Low Modes (as needed) when going up and downhill/ramps based on my experience using the Honda City. Nissan Casa recommended I don't need to change yet but I still had it done along with firmware update/reset (if there is no new version). Still have no issue with the car now when it comes to the CVT at least. Also observed the same issue when the battery was unplugged, had to request CVT Reset to make the CVT run "normally".

So, it is one of the things I would advice. If you are going to change the battery of your CVT vehicle, make sure you are able to keep the computer box "energized" or have casa reset/update your firmware. You may not immediately observe something going wrong, but over time, when you manage to actually notice, something might have started to break already.... maybe. I err on the side of caution when it comes to CVTs, or computer boxes in general.

Honda has the specific service charge for it, 600php I think. Nissan NE didn't use to have that service item, but later on had it around 2017/2018 I think. No idea about Toyota but I would expect them to have it if you really want to have it done.

To add, brother owns a 2009 1.6 Altis G 4AT, not CVT. That still runs, but valve cover gasket has failed twice already causing a dead cylinder/spark plug. Still in "Regular use" today as a service vehicle but short distance only. I think around 90k kms. I think that had the ATF Changed once... maybe? But your CVT for 10th gen Altis really most likely need a change because even the longest interval is usually 40k kms for CVTF change. Lifetime is until it ends it life, so from a "technicality" if it isn't changed and the CVT "dies", then the fluid did last the lifetime of the CVT. hehe! Not sure why Toyota didn't still schedule a change for it. That is really bizarre for me.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Aussie but with a hint of Bahstin Massachusetts accent.

changing your corolla cvt fluid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG9L2YryUSo

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Fair comments, there lots of CVTs from around 2005-2007 still on the road having racked up over 100k kms. Camry 2.4Vs, Mitsubishi Grandis, Lancer Cedia and EX with Invecs-III, etc.
    Forester XTs from 2014 are about to turn ten years old and those are a high power, high torque application.

My thinking here is not that something is definitely going to go wrong, but at 10 years old something might -- and I'd rather not be on the receiving end of that trouble (and repair bill hehe).