New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 86
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    644
    #51
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    In fairness to the others, let's try to exercise constructive criticism instead of using a condescending tone. Condescension will only invite arguments instead of healthy discussions.


    BTT:

    *KIANTOT, I believe you didn't experience overheats during your first 90k kms, right? It's living proof that a properly functioning cooling system does not require the removal of the thermostat. It's still better to find the root cause once an engine overheats.


    My assumption is that you may be using a good multigrade oil that adjusts to your engine's temperature that's why I also assume that your engine's compression is still in very good condition even after the mileage it incurred. However, did you notice a slight difference in your fuel economy after the thermostat is removed? Just like what was said earlier, a diesel engine is very dependent on the combustion chamber's compression and TEMPERATURE. Diesel injected at the same compression ratio but with a lower temperature will have a different burn compared to diesel injected at an engine's optimal operating temp vis a vis with its matching compression ratio. Just like with my experience, I consumed more diesel before I found out that the mechanic removed the thermostat. The difference is not that much during highway (however, still noticeable) driving but really mattered on city driving. Pag mas mababa kasi ang temperature, the more you need to step on the throttle to attain more power but at the cost of smoke and fuel economy.
    Sure bro no problem for me at all, Im always glad to read everyone's idea's just only share what I have experience, just want to clarify also, I'm not saying "it's better not to put the t-stat"

    BTT:

    I did'nt experience overheating at all since I left my AUV, the cooling system is always good that time I have been using it, it is properly maintain that's why never experience din na "Tumirik" or nasiraan sa daan. Ang naging cause na lang kaya nangyari na nag overheat for 3 times kase negligence ng driver (brother ko) to check the water and never look on the temp gauge, pinatuyuan ilang beses, Yes it is not the solution to overheating problems by removing the thermostat, sure na may problema yung cooling system.

    but I think not the oil that I have been using pero usually I'm using it always with in the city beacause it is " for hire" all day imagine kahit tanghali tapat, that's why heavy duty use, na encounter ko lang naging sluggish siya down the hill kapag ang route ko antipolo at umuulan sa gabi, true kapag nga mababa ang temp the more you need to step on the throttle kapag walang t-stat, pag dun lang ako napunta, pero the rest ok naman kahit sa FC walang pagbabago dahil sa city lang madalas ang route ko.

  2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    573
    #52
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    once again, some people refuse to learn and some people never learn. they insist on the little wrong knowledge they might have. the boiling point of water is 212*F (100*C) at sea level up to about 1000 feet above sea level assuming you are at atmospheric pressure regardless you are in Switzerland or you are in Nairobi. the combustion temperature remains the same regardless of your geographic location. you control the combustion temperature that way you control combustion efficiency and control air pollution. not the other way around. again, study!!!!!
    agree, even desert sold cars are equipped with standard T-stat.

  3. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    584
    #53
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    once again, some people refuse to learn and some people never learn. they insist on the little wrong knowledge they might have. the boiling point of water is 212*F (100*C) at sea level up to about 1000 feet above sea level assuming you are at atmospheric pressure regardless you are in Switzerland or you are in Nairobi. the combustion temperature remains the same regardless of your geographic location. you control the combustion temperature that way you control combustion efficiency and control air pollution. not the other way around. again, study!!!!!
    ang alam ko po pag mataas na altitude bababa ang atmospheric pressure, need to review my chemistry nakalimutan ko na din eh

  4. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,181
    #54
    Quote Originally Posted by MrQ5 View Post
    ang alam ko po pag mataas na altitude bababa ang atmospheric pressure, need to review my chemistry nakalimutan ko na din eh
    tama sir kasi mas manipis (in terms of volume) ang hangin habang pagtaas ng altitude

  5. Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,990
    #55
    Quote Originally Posted by MrQ5 View Post
    ang alam ko po pag mataas na altitude bababa ang atmospheric pressure, need to review my chemistry nakalimutan ko na din eh
    right on. the boiling point also decreases as well.....

  6. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10
    #56
    Very interesting topic indeed. i might also share my insight on this one, i own a honda city type z, as we all know city are well known for low fuel consumption, (of course it depends on the driving habit, traffic condition etc,) a year ago i had a problem with my radiator and my mechanic also remove the T-stat because as he said it is already faulty and told me that it is not really that important and so on. since then i have experienced a very significant increase in fuel consumption. fuel consumption was in about 12-13 km/l before but now it's barely 8-9 km/l. maybe this could be the cause of it. I don't know much about cars so it is a good thing that we have this forum. I've learned a lot from this topic and should bring my car to the shop and have my T-stat replaced soon. hope it would resolve my fuel consumption issue... dahil nag babadya na naman mag taas ng 2 pesos ang Gasolina. Ouch

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoked2020 View Post
    Very interesting topic indeed. i might also share my insight on this one, i own a honda city type z, as we all know city are well known for low fuel consumption, (of course it depends on the driving habit, traffic condition etc,) a year ago i had a problem with my radiator and my mechanic also remove the T-stat because as he said it is already faulty and told me that it is not really that important and so on. since then i have experienced a very significant increase in fuel consumption. fuel consumption was in about 12-13 km/l before but now it's barely 8-9 km/l. maybe this could be the cause of it. I don't know much about cars so it is a good thing that we have this forum. I've learned a lot from this topic and should bring my car to the shop and have my T-stat replaced soon. hope it would resolve my fuel consumption issue... dahil nag babadya na naman mag taas ng 2 pesos ang Gasolina. Ouch
    Did you observe where your temp needle stays after the thermostat was removed? If it stays in the 1/4 and below level, then you'll be running rich since the ECU will operate in "enriched" mode.

    You might also want to do a spark plug reading. My guess is, dark colored ang plug tips mo and not golden brown after the t-stat was removed.

  8. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10
    #58
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    Did you observe where your temp needle stays after the thermostat was removed? If it stays in the 1/4 and below level, then you'll be running rich since the ECU will operate in "enriched" mode.

    You might also want to do a spark plug reading. My guess is, dark colored ang plug tips mo and not golden brown after the t-stat was removed.
    yes, the temp needle never went up over 1/4 level or if it does, it wont go up to the middle. the spark plugs was replaced about 5 months ago when i had a tune up, so i am not sure how it looks like today.

    the thing is i did replaced my thermostat, it has been 2 weeks now and i have not seen any improvement on my gas mileage. i have had a half tank of gas, i've reset the meter and now i have 125km reading and the needle pointer is almost at the bottom. i have not been stocked to traffic so i guess it's not counted anymore.

    what can you suggest guys, mkikita ba agad ang problem kapag pina diagnose? any idea kung how much ang padiagnose? TIA

  9. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,902
    #59
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    Did you observe where your temp needle stays after the thermostat was removed? If it stays in the 1/4 and below level, then you'll be running rich since the ECU will operate in "enriched" mode.

    You might also want to do a spark plug reading. My guess is, dark colored ang plug tips mo and not golden brown after the t-stat was removed.
    Upon removing the thermostat, we assume that the engine will never reach ideal operating temperature in ideal time on normal driving conditions.

    On EFI systems, the ECU will run rich mixture on "closed loop" after cold starts.

    Does that mean it will always run "closed loop", ie not all sensor signals considered, when you remove the thermostat?

  10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,010
    #60
    Quote Originally Posted by isa1023 View Post
    Upon removing the thermostat, we assume that the engine will never reach ideal operating temperature in ideal time on normal driving conditions.

    On EFI systems, the ECU will run rich mixture on "closed loop" after cold starts.

    Does that mean it will always run "closed loop", ie not all sensor signals considered, when you remove the thermostat?
    correction:
    the engine runs on open loop when you first start it and remains in open loop until the coolant temperature signal reaches about 170 degrees fahrenheit. if the CTS is bad (high resistance), the controls remain in open loop regardless you have been driving all day. it also remains in open loop if the engine is overcooled. when you press the throttle above 40% it goes to open loop from closed loop. the closed loop happens when the parameters such as warm engine, throttle not above 40% and there are no problems that would affect the controls to go on limp mode

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Should you remover thermostat?