New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KIANTOT View Post
    But for me agree on this, same experience here, I have also jeepney before with no thermostat, hindi nag ooverheat, I think all of the jeepneys dont have thermostat, because of heavy duty use, in our hiace at Revo diesel we remove the t-stat, deffective n kase, pero hindi naman namin nilagayan ulit, hindi ko na experience mag overheat due to no t-stat.

Last July we went to baguio city, we use the hiace (no thermostat), but then normal engine temp lang sa akyatan, hindi din ganun kalamig yung panahon nung nag punta kami kase nung tanghaling tapat habang nag iikot kami naka AC pa, then we stop by sa isang resto besides burnham hindi ko na pinatay yung engine habang nasa resto kami, naiwan ako sa loob ng van with my son sleeping kase, almost 3hrs kmi naka stop with AC on, normal temp engine lang. mas ok pa sakin walang t-sat sa van, hindi mainit yung upuan, unlike meron maintain yung engine temp sa half kaya mainit.
    pwede naman talaga walang thermostat pero hinde optimal ung performance ng engine.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by s10pao View Post
    pwede naman talaga walang thermostat pero hinde optimal ung performance ng engine.
    Agree on that sir, I have just say my opinion from the previous comments na pag walang thermostat madalas mag overheat, pero I observed lang hindi siya optimal pag below sa 1/4 ng temp gauge ko, hindi ok yung hatak, it happens only in rainy days especially cruising down the hill, yung 1/4 and above ok yung performance yung weather naman sa atin not as much colder compare in other countries kaya ok lang kahit walang thermostat.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Agree on that sir, I have just say my opinion from the previous comments na pag walang thermostat madalas mag overheat, pero I observed lang hindi siya optimal pag below sa 1/4 ng temp gauge ko, hindi ok yung hatak, it happens only in rainy days especially cruising down the hill, yung 1/4 and above ok yung performance yung weather naman sa atin not as much colder compare in other countries kaya ok lang kahit walang thermostat.
    OK I understand. pero kailangan din natin isipin na may purpose talaga ang thermostat kaya sya inilagay ng mga manufacturers, otherwise tinanggal na yan para makatipid sila. also, pag laging nag-ci-circulate ung coolant, mas mabilis syang mag-deteriorate at maging corrosive. kung tatanggalin nyo yan, siguraduhin lang na mas frequent ang flushing ng coolant. mas matipid ata magpalit ng thermostat kesa i-repair ang cooling system ng engine (ex. radiator).

4. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    OK I understand. pero kailangan din natin isipin na may purpose talaga ang thermostat kaya sya inilagay ng mga manufacturers, otherwise tinanggal na yan para makatipid sila. also, pag laging nag-ci-circulate ung coolant, mas mabilis syang mag-deteriorate at maging corrosive. kung tatanggalin nyo yan, siguraduhin lang na mas frequent ang flushing ng coolant. mas matipid ata magpalit ng thermostat kesa i-repair ang cooling system ng engine (ex. radiator).
    I see sir, but I do not use radiator coolant anymore, distilled watar lang ang nilalagay ko, before I use coolant, yun nga lang hindi regular noon yung pag flushing ko ng coolant, kaya yun nga nabutas yung 2 tube ng radiator, also I have very bad experience sa thermostat ko noon, hindi nag open sa tamang temp running along SLEX, yung result biglang nag high temp yung gauge, wala pa ako idea noon kung anu ang naging cause, I'm thinking baka yung water pump na ang deffect, pero natrace ko din na yung cause ay sa deffective thermostat.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    I see sir, but I do not use radiator coolant anymore, distilled watar lang ang nilalagay ko, before I use coolant, yun nga lang hindi regular noon yung pag flushing ko ng coolant, kaya yun nga nabutas yung 2 tube ng radiator, also I have very bad experience sa thermostat ko noon, hindi nag open sa tamang temp running along SLEX, yung result biglang nag high temp yung gauge, wala pa ako idea noon kung anu ang naging cause, I'm thinking baka yung water pump na ang deffect, pero natrace ko din na yung cause ay sa deffective thermostat.
    possible cause nung leak ay extended flush interval ng engine cooling system.

may isang thread discussion dito tungkol sa coolant. sabi nung isang nag-comment na ang purpose ng coolant ay to prevent the water to become corrosive. may isa rin na nag-comment na distilled water lang ang gamit nya pero every 2 to 6 mos ata flush nya ng engine cooling system to prevent corrosion. pag may coolant kasi an recommended flush interval is 2 years.

one way to check if defective na ung thermostat is to check the hoses of the radiator, I think there are 2 (intake and outflow). check nyo kung laging maiinit ung isa at ung isa ay malamig kahit nag-on na ung auxilliary fan.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    possible cause nung leak ay extended flush interval ng engine cooling system.

may isang thread discussion dito tungkol sa coolant. sabi nung isang nag-comment na ang purpose ng coolant ay to prevent the water to become corrosive. may isa rin na nag-comment na distilled water lang ang gamit nya pero every 2 to 6 mos ata flush nya ng engine cooling system to prevent corrosion. pag may coolant kasi an recommended flush interval is 2 years.

one way to check if defective na ung thermostat is to check the hoses of the radiator, I think there are 2 (intake and outflow). check nyo kung laging maiinit ung isa at ung isa ay malamig kahit nag-on na ung auxilliary fan.

the functions of the antifreeze are to raise the boiling point in addition to raising the system pressure, to lower the freezing point, to lubricate moving parts like the water pump and thermostat, to increase heat absorption and to prevent or slow corrosion down. most engines are bimetallic or trimetallic in the cooling system passages. that is; cast iron engine block, aluminum cylinder heads, zinc water pump housing, zinc thermostat housing,copper heater core and steel tubings. these materials have different electron configurations and the water serves as an electrolyte in accelerating galvanic corrosion. the aluminum and zinc are the first ones to get corroded. the zinc thermostat housing is usually the sacrificial metal. without antifreeze coolant, the distilled water still permits premature corrosion

7. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    the functions of the antifreeze are to raise the boiling point in addition to raising the system pressure, to lower the freezing point, to lubricate moving parts like the water pump and thermostat, to increase heat absorption and to prevent or slow corrosion down. most engines are bimetallic or trimetallic in the cooling system passages. that is; cast iron engine block, aluminum cylinder heads, zinc water pump housing, zinc thermostat housing,copper heater core and steel tubings. these materials have different electron configurations and the water serves as an electrolyte in accelerating galvanic corrosion. the aluminum and zinc are the first ones to get corroded. the zinc thermostat housing is usually the sacrificial metal. without antifreeze coolant, the distilled water still permits premature corrosion
    related topic
    http://tsikot.com/forums/engine-fuel...5/#post1069052

8. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    sir jick.cejoco may tanong pala ako dun sa construction and operation ng thermostat. electronically controlled ba ito or purely mechanical device sya? synchronized ba ung pag-open nya at ung pag-ON nung auxilliary fan ng radiator? TIA.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    the thermostat is opened and closed by the expansion or return of the wax pellet inside the sensing bulb back to normal size and is operated thermally. the radiator fan thermoswitch is operated by a bimetallic strip inside the switch utilizing the difference in expansion rates of the two metal strips stuck together. they operate independent of each other and they have different operating temperatures. for example: the thermostat may begin to open at 86 degrees fahrenheit but the fan thermoswitch enables the fan control relay at 190 degrees fahrenheit on some engines. this demonstrates they are not synchronous

Actually, the previous comments stated na pag walang thermostat ay overcooled ang engine. Napasok lang sa discussion ang overheat kasi nga common practice ng mga "traditional" mechanics na tanggalin ang thermostat as a band-aid remedy against overheating. And ang line of reasoning nila ay "dinesign yan para sa Japan eh wala naman tayong taglamig".

Regarding your previous testimony, you should have replaced the thermostat with an OEM one instead of removing it. If there are no leaks or clogged lines in the cooling system and the thermostat and water pumps work properly, the same situation you mentioned (parked with engine and a/c on under sunlight) can be achieved even with the thermostat installed. Done them both on a Tamaraw FX (7k) and a Nissan Vanette (LD20 diesel) without overheating. Both with thermostats intact.

You also mentioned that you did notice your engine's response to be sluggish when the temp needle is below the ¼ range. That is because your oil's viscosity is not maximized if your engine's temp is not in the optimal operating temp range. This will result to premature wear and tear. You'll be experiencing loose cylinder compression earlier than those who do not remove their thermostat. Not to mention, a noticeable drop in fuel economy. Of course, thermostats are bound to fail due to wear and tear but if you're conscious about your vehicle's maintenance, you'll be aware that a thermostat is due for replacement without having to experience an overheat. Just be conscious of your temp gauge like a driving teenager-wannabe-racer who always looks at his speedometer.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Should you remover thermostat?