New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    bro, ang makina ang mga dyep natin, modelo din yan. when those surplus engines arrived here from japan, they are fitted with t-stats. the only thing is, the way i understand, t-stats in colder countries helps in maintaining the operating temp for optimal performance of the engine. dahil pag walang t-stat, lalamig ang coolant. pag malamig ang coolant, poor engine performance at poor fuel consumption. unlike here, mainit na sa atin, kaya di na talaga siguro kailangan ang t-stat. ang taxi brod, pag may t-stat, tirik yan. kaya tinatanggal din ng mga taxi company. what im pointing out is, pag heavy duty ang gamit sa sasakyan, tatanggalin mo talaga. dahil sigurado mag over-heat. di kakayanin ng radiator na mapalamig ang coolant dahil sa restriction sanhi ng t-stat. but for normal use lang, no need to have it remove. pardon me for my shortcomings on thermodynamics. i just rely on experience.

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    ^i don't think so....problem with passenger jeepneys aside from the removing the t-stat is that they move to bigger radiators intensifying the overcooling problem....just read on other infos on overcooling and overheating. plus they remove the radiator cap.

automotive engines are designed to run on pressurized cooling system. this may be a bit technical to the common man (sorry) but heat transfer is greater when the temperature difference between two media (say the water in the cooling system and the air surrounding the engine) is also greater. this is where the rad cap comes in the picture to achieve this higher temperature difference.

remember, diesel engines rely on the heat of compression to be able to burn the fuel oil at optimum level. so think twice if you want to remove your t-stat.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shelu View Post
    bro, ang makina ang mga dyep natin, modelo din yan. when those surplus engines arrived here from japan, they are fitted with t-stats. the only thing is, the way i understand, t-stats in colder countries helps in maintaining the operating temp for optimal performance of the engine. dahil pag walang t-stat, lalamig ang coolant. pag malamig ang coolant, poor engine performance at poor fuel consumption. unlike here, mainit na sa atin, kaya di na talaga siguro kailangan ang t-stat. ang taxi brod, pag may t-stat, tirik yan. kaya tinatanggal din ng mga taxi company. what im pointing out is, pag heavy duty ang gamit sa sasakyan, tatanggalin mo talaga. dahil sigurado mag over-heat. di kakayanin ng radiator na mapalamig ang coolant dahil sa restriction sanhi ng t-stat. but for normal use lang, no need to have it remove. pardon me for my shortcomings on thermodynamics. i just rely on experience.
    This is just wrong in so many levels. Sorry to say that your "shortcomings on thermodynamics" is a gross understatement.

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    how about heavy duty machinery that run 24/7? stationary and mobile machinery? no thermostats in them too? i don't think so. the generator in our school was prone to overheating. discussions with the mechanic revealed that he removed the thermostat. as the inspector, i instructed him to replace the thermostat. problem solved. i even suggested a modified housing where 2 t-stats will reside instead of one. the reason is that if ever one t-stat fails to open, the other would still operate. for t-stats, go OEM. common replacement parts usually don't last long.

When I got a surplus diesel engine, it had a thermostat fitted in and the mechanic who mounted the engine removed it without informing me. I noticed that it was guzzling fuel and quite smokey for a 2.0 N/A diesel so I went to investigate and voila, missing thermostat in the assembly!

I went back to that mechanic and demanded the thermostat unit. Good thing he still found it despite the mess around his shop. He gave it to me but advised against installing it and gave the very same reasons against overheating. I went home and tested it with a pot of boiling water and a thermometer. Sure enough, it still worked and opened at the approximate water temperature indicated. (88 degrees). I installed it myself and after warming the engine up, observed that the engine ran better and gone was the faint dark smoke during idle (and the black smoke during acceleration). Fuel economy improved from 5-6kms/liter on heavy traffic to 9-10km/liter.

No wonder conventional diesel engines won't start properly without a glow plug that pre-heats the combustion chamber.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    ignorance leads to removing of the critical thermostat by the traditional mechanics.
    the engine has to be at a specified range of operating temperature for best performance
    and fuel efficiency.
    a defective thermostat, one that is not opening properly at the designed temperature will cause the
    engine to overheat definitely. but it has to be replaced, not totally removed.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tip_tipid View Post
    ignorance leads to removing of the critical thermostat by the traditional mechanics.
    the engine has to be at a specified range of operating temperature for best performance
    and fuel efficiency.
    a defective thermostat, one that is not opening properly at the designed temperature will cause the
    AMEN to this..........

Quote Originally Posted by tip_tipid View Post
    and fuel efficiency.
    To add to that, these are the same mechanics who glues fan clutches instead of replacing, have you buy bigger radiators, boast that they have been doing it for like 30 years or more and claim that aluminum engines nowadays are sissies compared to the cast iron bigger engines of yester-years.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    To add to that, these are the same mechanics who glues fan clutches instead of replacing, have you buy bigger radiators, boast that they have been doing it for like 30 years or more and claim that aluminum engines nowadays are sissies compared to the cast iron bigger engines of yester-years.

wrong past experiences can not be a basis of judgment. the automobile has leaped in technology about fifteen times from ten years ago. if somebody boasts of doing for 30 years of wrong procedure or theory, they had been wrong all that time. training and education is the key. that is why, today's auto workers are called technicians and not mechanics. there is more to the car than mechanical items

10. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shelu View Post

But for me agree on this, same experience here, I have also jeepney before with no thermostat, hindi nag ooverheat, I think all of the jeepneys dont have thermostat, because of heavy duty use, in our hiace at Revo diesel we remove the t-stat, deffective n kase, pero hindi naman namin nilagayan ulit, hindi ko na experience mag overheat due to no t-stat.

Last July we went to baguio city, we use the hiace (no thermostat), but then normal engine temp lang sa akyatan, hindi din ganun kalamig yung panahon nung nag punta kami kase nung tanghaling tapat habang nag iikot kami naka AC pa, then we stop by sa isang resto besides burnham hindi ko na pinatay yung engine habang nasa resto kami, naiwan ako sa loob ng van with my son sleeping kase, almost 3hrs kmi naka stop with AC on, normal temp engine lang. mas ok pa sakin walang t-sat sa van, hindi mainit yung upuan, unlike meron maintain yung engine temp sa half kaya mainit.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Should you remover thermostat?