New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Hi. Im confused about the formulation differences between shell vpower diesel and the fuelsave diesel. Is it really a more refined diesel or just the same but with additives? And what kind of additives? Will it be beneficial to old diesel engines just like my nissan pickup's bd25 or are they just for commonrail diesels?

Thank you! Have a great weekend.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    It's exactly the same base diesel but with better additives. The additives of VPD have higher detergent qualities to help prevent deposits.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Also... VPower diesel has a higher cetane rating of 54 vs Fuel Save Diesel at 50... Higher cetane means less delay in combustion... In general of course higher number is better...

Kinda like the RON in gasoline fuel...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Shell fuel save in my opinion is 100% diesel fuel

Shell Vpower probably is 97-99% diesel fuel with 1-3% additive. The negligible additive amount makes it more expensive lol.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Also... VPower diesel has a higher cetane rating of 54 vs Fuel Save Diesel at 50... Higher cetane means less delay in combustion... In general of course higher number is better...

Kinda like the RON in gasoline fuel...
    No it doesn't. Same cetane rating for both.

Whether VPD or FSD, it's stored in the exact same tank in the depot. The additives are only added later on when the fuel is loaded in the lorry.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Shell fuel save in my opinion is 100% diesel fuel

Shell Vpower probably is 97-99% diesel fuel with 1-3% additive. The negligible additive amount makes it more expensive lol.
    "Straight" Diesel doesn't exist at the retail pump because it's bad.

Simply put, pure Diesel will lack the necessary lubricity (used to be sulfur's job), biocides (bacterial growth will clog your fuel filter in a matter of months), and stabilizers (keeps the fuel potent for a significantly longer time in storage).

There are other additives that may or may not make it to our local Diesels. Here's a good read: Diesel Fuel Additives

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    "Straight" Diesel doesn't exist at the retail pump because it's bad.

Simply put, pure Diesel will lack the necessary lubricity (used to be sulfur's job), biocides (bacterial growth will clog your fuel filter in a matter of months), and stabilizers (keeps the fuel potent for a significantly longer time in storage).

There are other additives that may or may not make it to our local Diesels. Here's a good read: Diesel Fuel Additives
    I checked several datasheets and all of them show 99-100% diesel, very little additives.. close to 1% is well negligible
    Last edited by StockEngine; October 7th, 2017 at 09:50 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I checked several datasheets and all of them show 100% diesel, very little additives..
    The DieselNet article describes additives to be under 1% by volume. "Because of this low treat rate of additives the physical properties of the fuel, such as density, viscosity, and volatility are not changed significantly."

It would probably sound less enticing if it was sold as 99.x% Diesel... and then having to explain that the remaining 0.x% are additives.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Thats why I still think the fuel save has little to no additives ..making it pesoses cheaper than its premium diesel fuel brother.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Thats why I still think the fuel save has little to no additives ..making it pesoses cheaper than its premium diesel fuel brother.
    I agree. It must have less additives by volume or it's missing a few additives altogether, which equates to a lower production cost. But it can't be sold without an additive so it can't be 100% straight Diesel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast