New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    I also agree what the Toyota staff said is incorrect, every time I start the engine and drive out, several years have passed, and nothing unusual about the engine has been noted.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    I wouldnt listen to anything anyone sais in this country, and i dont mean that as an offensive remark to the amazing friendly people of the philippines, its just that there has been no international training and the country has been left on its own in the middle of the ocean. Everytime another country invests in you, its just to take more of your economy out of your hands.

For example.
    I have visited every single motorcycle mechanic in cebu, and found that not a single one knows what the purpoae of the cylinder hone on their boring machine is for. They all have the stones wrapped in fine grit silicone carbide paper in am effort to make the cylinder borea smooth as glass.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DiliKoAmericano View Post
    I wouldnt listen to anything anyone sais in this country, and i dont mean that as an offensive remark to the amazing friendly people of the philippines, its just that there has been no international training and the country has been left on its own in the middle of the ocean. Everytime another country invests in you, its just to take more of your economy out of your hands.

For example.
    I have visited every single motorcycle mechanic in cebu, and found that not a single one knows what the purpoae of the cylinder hone on their boring machine is for. They all have the stones wrapped in fine grit silicone carbide paper in am effort to make the cylinder borea smooth as glass.
    Are you referring to this honing tool? We have that one for small sized engine with piston diameter of about 12 inches. I don't remember having a tool like this for a large engine with a piston diameter of 900 mm.

From what I know, it is used in the cylinder liner so as to avoid a mirror like finish. Otherwise, the oil won't cling or stick with the cylinder liner and so you have less lubricating effect.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DiliKoAmericano View Post

For example.

Not all shops are that backward, not all not so backward shops are equipped or trained. There are decent techs but the shop they work for is probably not equipped and some shops with equipment don't have the tech smart enough to employ the equipment.

I had a shop foreman before who grew up and had been a "mechanic" for sometime who is older than me. I only respected him because of his age, but his theory, work practice was that of a caveman. If he didn't understand how things are supposed to work or too complicated for him, he would say " alisin mo 'yan, pampagulo lang yan" like the thermostat.
    Some people don't want to admit incompetence, hence, they tell you to go backwards when it comes to technology- that's the " mechanic" attitude.
    You want somebody who understands how things work, how they're supposed to work, knows how to make diagnosis at the shortest time? Ask a technician who makes use of simple physics, simple chemistry, simple geometry not just "oido" skills. Today's cars are not designed to be serviced by your favorite " mechanic" at your favorite talyer. Talyer was it when we rode calesas.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    Are you referring to this honing tool? We have that one for small sized engine with piston diameter of about 12 inches. I don't remember having a tool like this for a large engine with a piston diameter of 900 mm.
    Marine/ship engines?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Marine/ship engines?
    Yes. The small sized engines are used for running the alternators while the large one is used to propel the ship.

On the topic of warming up the jacket water, those engines are always warm so it can be started anytime without delay. For generators, there is another "warm up". You wait for the exhaust temperature to reach about 250°C before you change over from diesel to bunker oil and then you load it up. That is, you now synchronize the generators. I might mixed up some procedures...

For the main engine, jacket water is maintained between 80 to 85. I think the alarm is set at 90. Recently, I heard that the cooling system is now similar to automotive design such that the the jacket water is now pressurized and so temperature is now maintained at almost the boiling point of water. I just don't know how it is done. That is, the equivalent of radiator cap for this marine application.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Otherwise, the oil won't cling or stick with the cylinder liner and so you have less lubricating effect.

The main reason the cylider bores of a piston engine are honed or deglazed, is to shorten the break-in period to make the piston rings and the bores match fit each other for better compression. Old mechanics call this "justar" or to mate or match the contour of the bores and the piston rings or the bearings against the journals that move around the rotating journals.

After break-in, the mating surfaces might have become smooth but still get sufficient oil film between the cylinder bores and the piston rings.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    Otherwise, the oil won't cling or stick with the cylinder liner and so you have less lubricating effect.

The main reason the cylider bores of a piston engine are honed or deglazed, is to shorten the break-in period to make the piston rings and the bores match fit each other for better compression. Old mechanics call this "justar" or to mate or match the contour of the bores and the piston rings or the bearings against the journals that move around the rotating journals.

After break-in, the mating surfaces might have become smooth but still get sufficient oil film between the cylinder bores and the piston rings.
    So the guy who told me about this mirror finish thing is wrong... or partly correct?

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    So the guy who told me about this mirror finish thing is wrong... or partly correct?

Picture angle grinding the valves and the valve seats, you use grease mixed emery lapping compound, the objective of lapping is to match fit the valve with the valve seat, ain't it right? After a couple of hours of engine operation don't the valve face and the valve seat contact are get shiny?
    So, if the piston rings and the cylinder bores have developed fit wear, do you tear the engine apart again just because your 45-60° cross hatch hone pattern has disappeared,?

10. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    Picture angle grinding the valves and the valve seats, you use grease mixed emery lapping compound, the objective of lapping is to match fit the valve with the valve seat, ain't it right? After a couple of hours of engine operation don't the valve face and the valve seat contact are get shiny?
    So, if the piston rings and the cylinder bores have developed fit wear, do you tear the engine apart again just because your 45-60° cross hatch hone pattern has disappeared,?
    Yes, that lapping compound is used to "remove" uneven surfaces. And no, overhaul is based on running hours or something is wrong with it and not because the hone pattern is gone.

Thank you for clarifying it this way. A simple "yes" or "no" answer would have not satisfied my curiosity.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast