New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2017
    very helpful thread... so when you say modern diesel engines nowadays don't need long warmup times... how about older diesel engines from the 90's?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    very helpful thread... so when you say modern diesel engines nowadays don't need long warmup times... how about older diesel engines from the 90's?
    Yes, this is very helpful. Thanks for the guy who started this topic, our experts here posted useful information and discussed a few things.

I also have the same question about older diesel engines.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009

No need to waste fuel, start and drive specially hybrids or electric cars. Oils, fuel, engine metals, engine controls have been improved, reformulated and re-engineered a couple of times since then.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Old and new same principle of lubrication and combustion. At idling the oil pump delivers the oil from sump to the journals, galleries, no need to rev up. Some oil on top of the engine are retained after shutoff because of anti-drain-back-valve built-in the oil filter, this helps in faster lubrication on cold startups. Oil pressure in action can be seen after startup as the oil pressure indicator in the dash extinguish in less than 2 secs.

Just start the cold engine, drive slowly maintaining low RPM until you reach operating temp.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post

Just start the cold engine, drive slowly maintaining low RPM until you reach operating temp.

i don't think maintaining low RPM is a good idea during warm up. someone posted about this like in the previous page.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    i don't think maintaining low RPM is a good idea during warm up. someone posted about this like in the previous page.
    I think what he means is dont use high rpms. And this is good avdvice. But yea u certainly dont wanna go the other extreme and change gears earlier than usual. U should drive normally, changing gears at the same rpm as u normally would, but using about 3/4 of the power you normally would, so a bit slower acceleration to the upshift point, until the engine is somewhere inside operating temp range.
    Perhaps what these tossers should be saying when they sell the vehicles, is actually yo idle the engine for aminute before shutdown, as all diesels all have turbos now amd turbos need some nice cool oil flow to cool down so the hot oil doesnt sit in the stationary hot turbo and heat up to the point it breaks down.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    How low is low RPM for the usual 2.5L - 3.0L diesel engines?
    Less than 2k rpm?

8. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by makelovenotwar View Post
    How low is low RPM for the usual 2.5L - 3.0L diesel engines?
    Less than 2k rpm?
    around 650-900 rpm. it fluctuates as the AC thermostat switches

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by monty_GTV View Post
    around 650-900 rpm. it fluctuates as the AC thermostat switches

Oh, that's difficult to maintain while driving for me.
    I live along the national hi-way so i'll be a nuisance if I drive with that rpm.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by makelovenotwar View Post
    Oh, that's difficult to maintain while driving for me.
    I live along the national hi-way so i'll be a nuisance if I drive with that rpm.
    i taught you are asking kapag naka idle.

while driving, less than 2k rpm cruising at 80kph

Last edited by monty_GTV; June 18th, 2018 at 06:44 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast