New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Greetings! I checked my car's fuel tank,nakita ko na basa yung ilalim ng tank. Its hard to tell where the leak may originate. What could be the possible cause? can any autoshop solve this or meron talagang specific shops akong pupuntahan? Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    depends where it's comming from... baka hose lang and all you need to do is have it reclamped.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    depends where it's comming from... baka hose lang and all you need to do is have it reclamped.
    yep, thats right. I had it checked right away. yun palang isang hose loose na or medyo nahuhugot ng konti(di ko alam tawag sa hose). kinabit ulit ng mabuti ng mekaniko and had it clamped. While at it, pina-check ko na din buong fuel lines and everything seemed to be fine. Peace of mind now... Thanks!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan_sheek View Post
    yep, thats right. I had it checked right away. yun palang isang hose loose na or medyo nahuhugot ng konti(di ko alam tawag sa hose). kinabit ulit ng mabuti ng mekaniko and had it clamped. While at it, pina-check ko na din buong fuel lines and everything seemed to be fine. Peace of mind now... Thanks!
    fuel return line

5. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    up ko lang ulit. upon checking my gas tank again, nakita ko sa ilalim basa ulit. I traced the source, it seems to be coming from the tank itself. meron maliit na singaw. Can a patch remedy this? ok ba yung epoxy steel or anyone can recommend a patch for this. Meron akong napanood na tv commercial, yung radiator patch(don't know the brand name) parang ok din yun. Thanks in advance.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan_sheek View Post
    up ko lang ulit. upon checking my gas tank again, nakita ko sa ilalim basa ulit. I traced the source, it seems to be coming from the tank itself. meron maliit na singaw. Can a patch remedy this? ok ba yung epoxy steel or anyone can recommend a patch for this. Meron akong napanood na tv commercial, yung radiator patch(don't know the brand name) parang ok din yun. Thanks in advance.

duncan,
    it's quite a hazard to drive your car with the fuel tank leak...a small spark nearby can blow your tank (seriously!) remember that fuel is highly combustible. i suggest you correct the problem by having the tank welded (oxy acetylene ang katapat nyan) needless to say, that the tank should be airdried / emptied for a couple of weeks before servicing it...i won't risk patching it with a steel epoxy...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    And when you do have it welded, make sure it is EMPTY and DRY!

You don't want to run the risk of catching a spark like Mangdencio said. Better yet if it's a rubber line that leaks, replace it na lang with a new one rather than remedy it. If it's the tank itself that's the problem, have it patched properly to ensure rust will not appear and the fuel will not seek another weak spot.

It would be good to also indicate the car you have.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Thanks, mbeige and mangdencio.

Thats right, it should be welded properly and have it airdried first... well, I temporarily placed an epoxy steel patch while I look for a shop who can do that kind of service in mandaluyong. Drain the tank, remove and wash it by water, airdry and weld. Hassle pa no? what if I buy a new fuel tank para install nalang. By the way, car is corolla 90 GL.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Yes, just get a new tank. Even if you repair the current leak now, somewhere, another one will turn up soon.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    if the leak is comming from the hose then just have that replaced. if the tank itself is cracked then better nga to replace it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
possible fuel tank leak