New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    I'm having a problem with my 1996 Accord. Namamatay ang makina kapag nag break ako ng long periods at kapag bumababa sa ramp ng parking o kahit anong downward incline. Habang naka traffic ako sa pababa na kalye hindi ko ma-start uli ang car hangat hindi pa siya sa patag na kalye tumuntong ulit. Pansin ko nangyayari lang siya kapag 1/4 nalang ang gas sa tank. Pag naka full tank ako hindi siya namamatayan.

Ano sa tingin nyo? Fuel pump or baka may problem lang sa gas tank?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    most likely ang prublema jan yung fuel sending unit inside the tank ,hindi na tama ang calibration . that part needs changing to get the reading right .

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Joned View Post
    I'm having a problem with my 1996 Accord. Namamatay ang makina kapag nag break ako ng long periods at kapag bumababa sa ramp ng parking o kahit anong downward incline. Habang naka traffic ako sa pababa na kalye hindi ko ma-start uli ang car hangat hindi pa siya sa patag na kalye tumuntong ulit. Pansin ko nangyayari lang siya kapag 1/4 nalang ang gas sa tank. Pag naka full tank ako hindi siya namamatayan.

Ano sa tingin nyo? Fuel pump or baka may problem lang sa gas tank?
    The fuel pickup in the gas tank might be too high from the bottom.

Was the fuel pump replaced or serviced before?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The fuel pickup in the gas tank might be too high from the bottom.

Was the fuel pump replaced or serviced before?
    Not since I bought it from the previous owner 4 years ago.

So do you think it isn't the fuel pump? I thought so too since it only happens when the car is on 1/4 gas level and going down an incline or braking. Going down the sm megamall parking causes the engine to turn off everytime once the gas is at that level.

So it's probably something attached to the pump that is getting fuel from the tank.

I'll have a mechanic check the parts you guys mentioned above.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I can think of two more possibilities on top of the points raised above:

1. Water or impurities in the tank
    2. Electrical problem

I had experienced #1 on my Sentra before. The stalling always happens when the car is on a downward incline for several seconds. And it stalls, regardless of the fuel quantity in the tank. Finally solved it by draining the fuel tank. Took us about a week to figure it out. Though without the proper tools, we couldn't determine if the impurities were water or something else.

For #2, it's possible that power to the fuel pump or ignition gets interrupted when the car is in a certain position.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    A lot of people know that its best way to have a lot of gasoline in your tank . Low amount of fuel inside the tank build up rust causing fuel clogged in fuel line .

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by speed unlimited View Post
    A lot of people know that its best way to have a lot of gasoline in your tank . Low amount of fuel inside the tank build up rust causing fuel clogged in fuel line .
    This is applicable only on cars with steel and to some extent, aluminum fuel tanks. Newer cars uses plastic materials (HDPE) that are not susceptible to corrosion.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    my friend who owns an optra experienced that problem before. maski naka park ng incline, ayaw mag start pero after several minutes of parking it on an even surface, nagstart. one time, na stranded pa kami somewhere in roces qc dahil hindi nya napansin na pababa yung incline nung oto.

the problem was the fuel pump...

9. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    fuel floater i think

Patay engine pag naka downward slope and kotse.