New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    honda accord 97 exi 2.0

ok ganito po ang nangyari approximately 4-5 days ago pumunta ako sa shop sa kamuning to get my valve clearance adjusted for the 2nd time kasi may naririnig padin ako konti valve noise so inadjust siya according to spec which is 9in 12ex pero hindi masyado pinalamig yung engine..

after maadjust ang valve clearance nag start pero weird ang takbo palyado at nangnginig after 2minutes namatay..never pa ako namatayan ng makina sa auto so it felt really strange nag troubleshoot yung mechanic it turns out wala daw ako spark sa distributor so nagpalit ako may spark na may redondo pero ayaw mag turnover parang lunod ang symptoms mejo amoy gas din

so check ang fuel pump , injectors , no MIL , and may gas din of course after everything hindi na tumakbo yung auto so pina-tow ko papunta honda libis to find out kung ano talaga sira kasi sabi ng mechanic ECU (computer box) nadaw feeling ko nagtuturo nalang kasi wala ng idea...anyways sabi ng honda libis loose daw ang compression ng #4 chamber no other specifics as to whether it's the seals or valves or the piston itself...prior to this the car did not give me any headaches there's no visible smoke of any kind on any rpm

what's supposed to be a preventive maintenance check turned into a major overhauling job at just 88,000 kms...the car is A/T and was never driven hard as in never!

PS
    i was wondering why honda did not provide sufficient information as to what needs to be replaced

***point of concern***

kung sinasabi ng honda libis na #4 cylinder ang loose dapat aandar padin ang auto diba? mahina significantly pero aandar ang makina tama po ba ako dito? similar when you unplug the spark plug boot in one cylinder palyado pero nag iidle diba?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    If I have to make an educated guess, the mechanic most likely messed up. The valve clearances were probably set too tight that the valves were no longer properly seated on the valve seats and hence, not sealing it. This will allow gasoline to either go back out the intake manifold or out the exhaust port during the compression stroke. That might account why the engine developed loose compression.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Agree. If the problem only started after the valve adjustment, it's probably that.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Bwisit ano? I bet hindi mechanic napuntahan nya.

i was wondering why honda did not provide sufficient information as to what needs to be replaced

Hindi pa rin nila nakikita sira sa loob, the compression test is the first step in failure analysis
    and your engine failed it. And they do not follow the so "called dukot standard".
    If your engine fails a compression test overhaul na agad yan.
    The chief mechanic will base his reccomendations from what ever little info
    that is available to him which is

NO#4 CYLINDER FAILED COMPRESSION TEST AT 88,000KMS ODO SINCE NEW.

kung sinasabi ng honda libis na #4 cylinder ang loose dapat aandar padin ang auto diba? mahina significantly pero aandar ang makina tama po ba ako dito? similar when you unplug the spark plug boot in one cylinder palyado pero nag iidle diba?

Iba ang situation ng tinatanggal lang ang spark plug at iba ang me sira na talaga, you cannot and should not compare them dahil malilito ka kasi hindi mo na na factor na kung
    ano ano na ginawa ng nakasira para hanapin ang sira na nagawa nya.
    You have to go back to what else did he do after closing the cylinder head cover na hindi mo na i kwento sa honda libis. Which they dont care to know and did not question you about.
    Because it is "water under the bridge".

NO#4 CYLINDER FAILED COMPRESSION TEST AT 88,000KMS ODO SINCE NEW.

Last edited by mark_t; February 22nd, 2009 at 12:21 AM.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    meron procedure dito , cylinder leakage test , THEY USE CYLINDER LEAKAGE TESTER.

set the suspected cylinder at TDC compression stroke and hook-up the tester , check the tappet clearance by rocking .and go from there .

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bambino View Post
    meron procedure dito , cylinder leakage test , THEY USE CYLINDER LEAKAGE TESTER.

set the suspected cylinder at TDC compression stroke and hook-up the tester , check the tappet clearance by rocking .and go from there .
    Dinala nya sa CASA, so me liability issues na iyan in terms of warranties.

The question is would Honda allow a top overhaul and accept liabilities?

Siguro hindi. Sa independent autoshop puede.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    sa tingin ko din sa tappet adjustment yan. kaya pinapalamig muna makina bago tappet para sure tama yung clearance niyan. maybe start from the rocker arm then trace it from there

tama, kung #4 cylinder lang, dapat start pa rin yan kaso parang may katok or papalya lang yung makina.

8. Join Date
    May 2007
    Many times when you carefully measure using the hot or cold specifications you'll find that the intake and exhaust valve lash is within spec and you don't need to make any adjustment. Sometimes small noise on the valve goes away if you do long driving. What you should do now is do a compression check. They could have slightly bent a valve when they had the valves mal-adjusted.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Magbacktrack ka lang kung ano ginawa ng mechanic sa kamuning and try to return it. May nagalaw lang yan. Hindi basta basta nasisira ang ECU or biglang mawalan ng compression by mere adjustment of valves unless valve set no. 4 is not sitting properly hence loose compression will manifest like earlier mentioined.

As the saying goes kung hindi sira wag aayusin!

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    pulled the car out from honda libis and had forcedspeed in kalayaan do the valve job...when it arrived sa forcedspeed they pulled out all the tools needed for leak testing the valves and compression tester gauge these guys are all business...after thoroughly testing they figured out it was a leaky valve (tukod daw) since air is coming out of the exhaust pipe and a little out the intake manifold

they went and took the head apart only to see that there were no bent valves instead it was all covered in grime from the seats to the valve itself, before taking everything apart they tested it for leak once more by putting gasoline through the intake port and all 16 valves we're leaking so they grinded everything down to make sure they're all sealed

the valve job would be done by tomorrow i hope it starts up with no problem wish me luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Overhaul...at 88,000 kms