New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Lube oil specification is stated in the vehicle owner's manual. Synthetics may be expensive, but it doesn't necessarily follow that it is the best oil for all engines.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    as per my checking, wala pa po CL-4 plus na rating ang American petroleum Institute(ApI). Only CI-4 plus....the latest is still CJ-4..

CL-4 plus is an official API oil service specification, it was introduced in 2004 as an enhanced CL-4 (introduced in 2002) category). If I can remember it right, the same ASTM tests are used with the following modification/s:

1. The time in which the candidate oil is tested is prolonged.
    2. The wear allowed is reduced.
    3. The harsh conditions e.g. corrosive potential, in which the candidate oil is subjected are intensified.
    4. Soot control requirement is enhanced.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by youngrider View Post

CL-4 plus is an official API oil service specification, it was introduced in 2004 as an enhanced CL-4 (introduced in 2002) category). If I can remember it right, the same ASTM tests are used with the following modification/s:

1. The time in which the candidate oil is tested is prolonged.
    2. The wear allowed is reduced.
    3. The harsh conditions e.g. corrosive potential, in which the candidate oil is subjected are intensified.
    4. Soot control requirement is enhanced.

Sir, you mighjt mean CI-4 plus. You can confirm this by visiting the Official American Petroleum Institute(API) Website * www.api.org or visit this link http://www.api.org/certifications/en..._Oil_Guide.pdf

CL-4 is non existent, CJ-4 is the latest rating introduced in the year 2006. In the year 2002, CI-4 was introduced. CI-4 Plus was later introduced as an upgraded designation for an enhanced CI-4. The API service ratings for engine oil is marked in order or series (meaning if it starts with CA, CB would follow, then CC, then CD and so on). After CJ-4, we would expect a new rating to be marked as CK-4 and after CK-4 - thats the time CL-4 would be existent.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    I actually have these pdf files. You are right, I misread the label, some sites like Amsoil, etc, may have also misprinted them what I really mean is CI-4 and CI-4 plus.

What I am using now is Petron Rev-x Trekker(for economy). The price has increased recently (so with the other brands) from P130.00 to P143.00. So far I have nothing negative to say about it. At least my engine is still very clean (no trace of sludge) after 6 mos of service, using only DAIWA the 'cheepo' oil filters. I'm using Bosch filters now wala pa rin akong tiwala sa Daiwa after all.

Next time I will probably use Bardahl CI-4 plus *P217.00/L. I was planning to use Pertua but I was out of stock. I hope Caltex Delo 400 CI-4 plus will be available here soon. Seaoil Lubricants are also priced very competitively I think even lower than the Petron.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Is Caltex Delo 400 the same as the Chevron 400 offered in the US? I've been using that oil for a few years, it's a good oil. Trying out synthetic, Rotella 5W-40. So far so good for me.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Double post...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    would still stick to delo gold multigrade even it's hard to find compared to castrol, helix mobil 1 etc., i have to make special order from my suking auto supply dunno why?? even Caltex stations (closest to my place) only offer the delo gold mono and not the 15-40 multigrade one

layo kasi ng caltex station ni bro karlbo in plaridel eh..

bro mb,

Delo 400 is the same formulation no matter where it is purchased in the world. As a result, diesel engine customers for the first time will be able to streamline costs and inventories by purchasing a single oil for their Japanese, European and U.S. engines.

Chevron markets Delo 400 multigrade in North and South America and Europe. In Asia, Australia, Eastern Africa and the Middle East Delo 400 is available through Caltex, a 50 percent Chevron owned joint venture of more than 60 years.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...20/ai_62824983
    Last edited by XTO; September 18th, 2008 at 02:43 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Thanks XTO, but that's quite an old article (2000). If anything and if I go back to dino, Delo 400 is still the one for me - my car came with gallons of it in the trunk still unopened. Magkano going rate ng Delo 400 dyan? Here I think it's $11-12 a gallon (3.78L).

Didn't notice any significant difference between Shell Rotella 15W-40, Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 and Mobil Delvac 15W-40 (I heard this Mobil Delvac has been reformulated, again, by Mobil). Tried out Valvoline Blue before, also 15W-40, not much significant change. When I went for Rotella synthetic, 5W-40, I noticed it starts easier but my better MPG could also be attributed to lower driving speeds. My friend who has a diesel in Alaska, swears by it though, that's what got me to try out Rotella 5W-40.

I want to try Lubro-Moly next, pero sobrang mahal at malayo sa amin yung nagbebenta. Hay...

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    MB, Caltex delo gold multigrade here costs less than 700 pesos a gallon.

yeah, my kuya there also keep on suggesting me to use the Mobil 1 Delvac 1300 Super or the Rotella from Shell, unfortunately Pilipinas Shell has already replaced their Rotella with the Rimula and the much pricier Helix line.

Bigat lang kung pati oil hihingin ko sa kanya….kahiya ata

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Sayang naman, pero at least if you change the oil often we're just splitting hairs between the three.

As long as the oil is from a reputable brand, is diesel rated and follows the viscosity rating specified for your vehicle and the conditions it is driven in, you should be fine.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
which oil is better for diesel??