New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    Shell Fuelsave is unleaded?

If the benefits of higher octane fuel are NIL (?) for econoboxes (that includes majority of cars in PH like my Altis), then why are higher octane fuels being sold pa? Does that mean people are being paying a higher price for nothing? Just branding? I used to gas up premium for my GLi because I thought an older engine would run better on higher quality fuel.
    Yes, Shell FuelSave is unleaded. ALL gasoline fuels are unleaded, even those sold by generic stations. Lead has been banned for decades. We've been trying to change the notion by telling our pump attendants to refer to 91 octane fuel by their brand name (i.e. FuelSave) instead of just saying "unleaded". It's quite hard to change though.

As to the topic of higher octane, again it's a misconception. Most people think that it's the higher RON rating that makes the fuel better for their car, when the truth is that when a car is designed to run with 91 RON, using 97 RON won't make it run any better.

However, the more expensive variants have better additives, especially in terms of detergency, or the ability to clean up deposits in your engine. Main benefit is that it should marginally increase your engine's lifespan. Better performance and/or efficiency has been recorded in controlled tests, but the difference is very minimal in real world use, and the placebo effect of using more expensive fuel makes a bigger impact.

Bottomline - it's more marketing than real differentiation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Yes, Shell FuelSave is unleaded. ALL gasoline fuels are unleaded, even those sold by generic stations. Lead has been banned for decades. We've been trying to change the notion by telling our pump attendants to refer to 91 octane fuel by their brand name (i.e. FuelSave) instead of just saying "unleaded". It's quite hard to change though.
    I am guilty of this. When I gas up I either say "unleaded' or "premium". Shell gas attendants know what I am talking about naman. Petron is confusing with all their variety.

Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    As to the topic of higher octane, again it's a misconception. Most people think that it's the higher RON rating that makes the fuel better for their car, when the truth is that when a car is designed to run with 91 RON, using 97 RON won't make it run any better.

However, the more expensive variants have better additives, especially in terms of detergency, or the ability to clean up deposits in your engine. Main benefit is that it should marginally increase your engine's lifespan. Better performance and/or efficiency has been recorded in controlled tests, but the difference is very minimal in real world use, and the placebo effect of using more expensive fuel makes a bigger impact.

Bottomline - it's more marketing than real differentiation.

Wow. I really learn a lot from you What is the difference of the fuel targeted on mass transport vehicles? That is still 91 diba?

BTT: I gas up at one or two stations and I normally don't mix fuels. I am more comfortable that way so in case I get a fuel related problem it's easier to identify the cause. I did have an instance when casa asked me if I gassed up at a station that's "kahina hinala". I was confident in answering NO
    Last edited by _Cathy_; January 18th, 2015 at 05:19 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dhisky View Post
    Ano yang octane level? will I just tell the gasoline boy? yan ba yung silver and gold and etc.
    Almost every vehicle will list the octane rating necessary to run it safely inside the owner’s manual. Some manufacturers might even place a small reminder on the gas filler cover itself stating ‘Premium Unleaded fuel only’ to make sure you don’t forget. Most petrol cars are designed to run from an 87 to 93 Octane rating. Turbo charged or super charged engines benefit greater on the higher RON ratings but are in danger of the lower octane ratings due to potential "knock" caused by pre-ignition effect of lower RON fuel. In short, you won’t see a power or fuel efficiency increase by running high octane fuel in an engine that has been tuned and designed for Low RON fuel but on the flip side, running low octane fuel in an engine built for Premium can increase the risk of engine damage and will certainly impact that unit’s overall performance. I just don't know the story behind the different quality of fuels served in the market by the manufacturers and the quality of the dealership pumps/facilities specially those that seem to have water and filth in their storage tanks.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    Wow. I really learn a lot from you What is the difference of the fuel targeted on mass transport vehicles? That is still 91 diba?

BTT: I gas up at one or two stations and I normally don't mix fuels. I am more comfortable that way so in case I get a fuel related problem it's easier to identify the cause. I did have an instance when casa asked me if I gassed up at a station that's "kahina hinala". I was confident in answering NO
    There actually isn't fuel for "mass transport" vehicles, that's purely marketing. DOE requires certain thresholds to be met, so gas companies can't scrimp on their fuel just so they can save on product costs. Shell has shied away from that kind of marketing, instead focusing on branding their FuelSave 91 brand as for those who are looking for the highest efficiency at the lowest price, regardless if private or public motorist. V-Power on the other hand is branded as a performance fuel who want more "excitement" with their drive. Of course, they make the difference bigger than it really is.

Petron has an even more complicated scheme. Super Xtra Gas 91 and Xtra Advance 93 are both their "entry-level" fuels, and the only differentiation is that SXG91 is not marketed at all, while Xtra is supposedly the penny-pincher's fuel. You would notice also that in more affluent areas, they don't sell SXG91, and only have Xtra, XCS, and Blaze. In other areas, they sell SXG91, Xtra 93, and XCS. Basta magulo sila sa entry-level variants nila.

Fortunately, XCS is clearly differentiated and positioned as premium fuel for the everyman, while Blaze is positioned and priced so much higher that it's like their luxury fuel.

Caltex, Total, and Seaoil follow Shell's simpler scheme - 91 for entry level, 95/97 for premium.

Lastly, those discount lane fuels that they offer are exactly the same as the non-discount lane fuels. Pag lumabas ng depot yung lorry, wala namang differentiation yan, sometimes nga same tank pa yan ibabagsak sa station - it's just that one pump is programmed at a higher price while the other is a few pesos lower - but they're linked from the same underground tank.

Last edited by jut703; January 18th, 2015 at 05:33 PM.

5. Join Date
    May 2014
    bro totoo ba na mas mabilis ang pump, mas malaki chance na marami ang hangin na makarga?

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    ^
    Yun daw sabi kaya yun iba gusto eh nasa 1 lang yun setting ng lever ng nozzle.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjababez View Post
    bro totoo ba na mas mabilis ang pump, mas malaki chance na marami ang hangin na makarga?
    Nope. I've tried it many times with a calibrating bucket. 10L is 10L, whether fast or slow.

But, if magpapafull tank ka, better to use the slow setting. Pumping fuel is like soda, nagbububbles pag masyado mabilis, so keep it slow so you can let the fuel settle and you get to fill the tank talaga.

Most pump attendants naman pag magfufull tank, 1 or 2 lang gamit, not 3 (fastest).

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ako what I do is for everyday used lang I settle for the lowest octane, then if I'm going out of town or on a road trip then I'll fill up the highest octane...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dhisky View Post
    Ano yang octane level? will I just tell the gasoline boy? yan ba yung silver and gold and etc.
    The octane rating is also shown beside the pump.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    In learning from this thread.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast