New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    My neighbor who drives a WRX STi has a big exhaust pipe on his ride, around 3" I think. It's loud when he starts the car in the morning. I wonder how much louder it can get when the turbo spools or when hitting the engine's peak torque. His Evo7 has a smaller exhaust and is not that loud.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mokong22 View Post
    Hindi naman porket 1.3 or 1.6 lang stock engine wala na guts para mag lagay ng after market muffler. Pano yung mga naka b16, blacktop or 1.3 4efte ng rolla. Na try mo naba stock engine mga nyan. Gusto lang naman iba ilabas potential ng car nila. I have 1.6 stock blacktop sa rolla. Wanna try.

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    correct, you can improve hp/torque without doing anything from the stock engine itself. perfect example is the vios cup car, it still have the stock engine, stock airbox. they just modified the exhaust.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Hindi naman porket 1.3 or 1.6 lang stock engine wala na guts para mag lagay ng after market muffler. Pano yung mga naka b16, blacktop or 1.3 4efte ng rolla. Na try mo naba stock engine mga nyan. Gusto lang naman iba ilabas potential ng car nila. I have 1.6 stock blacktop sa rolla. Wanna try.
    I guess what MR_BIG18 meant that such small displacement NA engines have a limit to what they can produce. A proper mod approach needs to be done to maximize their potential and not just a simple exhaust system. I have friends who have SR20DE and SR16VE engines on their B14s and these engines can deliver the oomph. However, with the new crop of turbo engines, the power and torque is just a different league, even better with ECU remaps. Even the new crop of NA engines have improved over the years.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Years ago, i'd regularly hear a tuned boxer engine in our neighborhood from a block away. Sadly, that same vehicle was involved in a fatal accident.

Quote Originally Posted by enzo6k View Post
    kawawa naman kami with old cars

btw, our stock exhaust system were designed by manufacturer to cut cost only, wala kinalaman sa performance. kaya meron mga aftermarket system na designed for performance na wala pakialam sa cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_BIG18 View Post
    modifiying the exhaust system doesnt do much to an unmodifified engine, putting a 3" pipe with a fake tanabe muffler on a 1.3-1.6L will only annoy people..come on, we know whats under the hood....
    I hold the same thoughts. With a typical old vehicle (let's say, a 90s 1.6L), there is more power and efficiency to be gained by ensuring the vehicle is properly tuned, and all components are functioning optimally (sensors, A/F, drivetrain, etc.) before looking at the bolt-ons.

If people start bringing up "how about a 4AGE, SR20?", etc. That's already a different discussion from the run-of-the-mill GAs, 4AFEs, SOHC VTEC, and similar mass-produced engines, as we are already talking about tuner oriented engines.

If you do upgrade, gains will also depend on how restrictive the stock system is as well; on a GA engined B14 Sentra many years ago, we tried using headers hooked up to the aftermarket exhaust system and there were no gains. We swapped the intake to a cold-air system and voila, it gained a better top-end - the problem was the restrictive intake system. In contrast, I've also seen aftermarket mano-mano exhaust systems even ruin a car's powerband (lost too much low and mid end to negate the top end gains) when the vehicle was hooked up on a dyno to verify the changes. SCC also did a test before: A stock GA16DE engine will put around 80+ hp at the wheels. Using a well-designed intake and exhaust system together with tuning will bring it up to around 105-110hp at the wheels (similar output to the HP at the crank), and this is with an engine that was known to have a restrictive intake and exhaust system (so it was an more of a outlier than the norm).
    Last edited by vinj; September 20th, 2016 at 01:23 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    This is getting ricey.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2015

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tsikot Forums mobile app

sorry for hurting your feelings, but we are talking figures here, replacing the exaust on a stock car will increase power how many percent? lucky if you get 10%...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by enzo6k View Post
    correct, you can improve hp/torque without doing anything from the stock engine itself. perfect example is the vios cup car, it still have the stock engine, stock airbox. they just modified the exhaust.
    cars in the vios cup are not stock, they are gutted, most unwanted weight are removed

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    lucky if you get 10%...
    10%?

Noisier?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    10%?

Noisier?
    depends on the butt dyno

10. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    cars in the vios cup are not stock, they are gutted, most unwanted weight are removed
    correct, but it means you can have a better performance car even with a stock 1.5 engine.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast