New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Just had a UOA on my oil in my truck done recently by Monark. With all the interest and discussion about filters, oil change intervals, quality of synthetic vs mineral etc, I thought it would be good to contribute some hard data. Here are the results:

Vehicle: D40 Navara
    Fuel: Shell V-Power Diesel
    Engine oil: Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40
    Km's oil run: 6,000 (mostly stop and go traffic)
    OEM oil filter
    OEM fuel filter

Wear metals:
    Cu 1
    Fe 10
    Cr 0
    Al 2
    Pb 0

Contaminants:
    Si 9
    Na 2
    Water, fuel and antifreeze all negative.

Viscosity, Cst * 40degC: 82.6
    TBN: 10.3

No data on soot level though. Have to get back to them for that. Wear metals are low, TBN is pretty much like new. Only 5% left on viscosity loss though according to the lab. Si seems to be high compared to UOAs abroad, maybe due to all the dust here. I'm looking to change the filter to a LF3400 and then run it to 10,000 just to see how it goes.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Wh1stl3r; October 4th, 2013 at 09:59 PM.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Good info.

I'm a Mobil1 TDT Baldwin B233 user for 10k-use, keen also on looking at the wear elements. Maybe we could compare notes.

Mind to share where's that Monark located and how much did it cost for the lab?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    Just had a UOA on my oil in my truck done recently by Monark. With all the interest and discussion about filters, oil change intervals, quality of synthetic vs mineral etc, I thought it would be good to contribute some hard data. Here are the results:

Vehicle: D40 Navara
    Fuel: Shell V-Power Diesel
    Engine oil: Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40
    Km's oil run: 6,000 (mostly stop and go traffic)
    OEM oil filter
    OEM fuel filter

Wear metals:
    Cu 1
    Fe 10
    Cr 0
    Al 2
    Pb 0

Contaminants:
    Si 9
    Na 2
    Water, fuel and antifreeze all negative.

Viscosity, Cst * 40degC: 82.6
    TBN: 10.3

No data on soot level though. Have to get back to them for that. Wear metals are low, TBN is pretty much like new. Only 5% left on viscosity loss though according to the lab. Si seems to be high compared to UOAs abroad, maybe due to all the dust here. I'm looking to change the filter to a LF3400 and then run it to 10,000 just to see how it goes.

Thoughts?
    Pretty impressive tbn. Would also like to know if you are using 50ppm sulphur fuel.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk 2

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    No prob bro, the more data the merrier.

Monark lab is at:
    South Expressway cor. Magsaysay Road, San Pedro, Laguna 4023. Tel. 8696748 loc 2285.

You can bring oil samples at their Q.C. branch near Eastwood and they'll just send it to the lab:
    13 Economia St. Bagumbayan, Q.C. Tel. 6350901

There's also a branch in Caloocan but not sure if they accept samples there. Sample size is 250mL. Test costs Php 1,0xx.xx.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Djerms View Post
    Pretty impressive tbn. Would also like to know if you are using 50ppm sulphur fuel.

I know, right? I called them to ask maybe there was a mistake re: TBN but they confirmed yup, it was 10.3. I think Shell V-power diesel is still Euro 2 (or they'd be marketing the hell out of it if Euro 4) so should be 500ppm. Could their additives have that much effect on conserving TBN?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    I know, right? I called them to ask maybe there was a mistake re: TBN but they confirmed yup, it was 10.3. I think Shell V-power diesel is still Euro 2 (or they'd be marketing the hell out of it if Euro 4) so should be 500ppm. Could their additives have that much effect on conserving TBN?
    High sulphur fuels affects tbn more then the 50ppm's. Pretty impressive oil.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Copy that, thanks. Afaik it's still 500ppm. That's why I thought the fuel additives (V-power) had something to do with the almost new level of TBN. Still, I agree, pretty impressive TBN.

Called them up today and apparently they need a virgin oil sample as a baseline to get the soot level. Anyway here's the oil's PDS:

Specifications and Approvals
    Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry and builder specifications: 5W-40
    API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4/ SM, SL, SJ
    ACEA E7 Issue 2
    Caterpillar ECF-2,ECF-3

Typical Properties
    Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40
    SAE Grade 5W-40
    Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
    * 40ºC 97.9
    * 100ºC 14.5
    Viscosity Index 153
    Phosporous (ASTM D4951) 0.11
    HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s * 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.8
    Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 0.95
    Total Base #, mg KOH/g (ASTM D2896) 10.7
    Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 215
    Density * 15.6ºC g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.85

According to Monark the acceptable viscosity change is -/+20%. The PDS puts the used sample at around -15%. Given that there is next to no fuel dilution, why the big drop? Could the claimed viscosity be off compared to the actual?

I'll try to drop off a virgin oil sample next week to complete this UOA. The missing info re: actual virgin oil viscosity and soot level are the only things left that should determine how much longer this oil could be used.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Any update sir on this? Been using this for ober a year now in 3 of my toyota d4d engines. Super grandia, fortuner and innova. But i changeoil every 5k.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Sorry I haven't gotten around to doing it yet.. Not time to go to Monark. Will update as soon as able.

How's the performance on the D4d? We use Royal Purple on our D4d, haven't tried this oil on the Toyota yet.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Maganda performance ng oil na ito sa Grand Starex ko

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 15w-40 UOA