New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by promdiboy View Post
    yung crdi ng mitsubishi 4m41 ko pag binigla bumubuga ng usok sa simula, with catalytic converter na, gaya ng uphill tapos oovertake ako, i know this is normal sa mga diesel engines, yung crdi ba ng ibang brands wala talagang usok kahit binibigla?
    natural lang po ito.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    my freind from isuzu phil told me that kaya ng altera to reach 170hp. pero its not done cuz malakas din sa diesel. kaya they only set it sa 130hp.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    have you also tried comparing these diesel cars during idle?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hyundai/Kias, Mitsubishis and the Focus are quietest at idle.

The Focus and Santa Fe seem quietest at high revs, but I'd need a dB meter to back this up... I believe the Santa Fe sounds smoother, though.

They're followed by the other Koreans... although the Carens we tested recently literally roared at redline. Might be a quirk of the unit... as most Hyundai/Kia motors don't sound that loud when you rev them.

The Fortuner, Everest and Alterra are relatively similar... but I haven't ridden in an Alterra for quite a while, I think it might be quiter than the other two... but none of these three is as loud as the old clackety-clack TDis in older SUVs, and you can ignore the noise they make at idle by turning up your radio.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Question. The 2003 Hyundai Starex that was equipped with CRDi, is the same CRDi engine that those 2005-2007 GRX model has?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I think the CRDi technology is standard since the idea here is the use of a common fuel rail with electronic injector nozzles to directly inject the fuel. The difference between brands is with the fuel pump, injector nozzles and the compression ratio of the direct inject engines.

Take for example a Mercedes Vito Van. A 110CDi engine is a 2.2L diesel engine putting out 102HP. While a similar Vito with a 112CDi engine has an exact same 2.2L diesel engine but with a better ECU program that outputs 120HP. Imagine by just modifying the ECU, you get an additional 18HP from the same engine. Basically, the programming plays an important role with these CRDi engines similarly with those Gasoline EFi Engines.

In my opinion, the old non CRDi diesel engines might be more reliable and durable since they don't rely on Electronics. Electronic Fuel Injectors may konk out while your driving along, or your ECU gets fried because it got soaked or wet. While with a conventional mechanical nozzle tip, it will just work. You'll eventually know when you need replacing or reworking unlike the electronic ones that will just quit on you when you least expect them to. Mechanical injection pumps will just keep on pumping unless and you'll also know when you need calibration.

One more thing, when time comes that you need to have your CRDi engines calibrated, I don't think the Calibration centers around town are ready or have the facility to calibrate them just like the Subic Hiace Vans with the EFi Diesel engines. You do need to calibrate those electronic injector nozzles to check it they still perform up to specs and you also need to check if your ECU is sending those signals correctly at the right time with the right duration to the right piston.

But I like the power and acceleration with the fuel efficiency of the CRDi engines...

7. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Do CRDi engines need calibration during their lifetime since fuel delivery and adjustment are always monitored by the computer?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    CRDis still need injector maintenance and replacement over the long haul... and that's the biggest worry for current CRDis.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    TFR: accdg to Hyundai C5, SF's engine doesn't need that, they said it has this hydraulic auto calibration thingy.

I'm just not sure if that info is accurate.

-----------

The shift to CRDi is inevitable. a lot of energy is wasted from inefficient ancient diesel engines which, aside from anti-environment, is also noisy and smoky.

It's just like Typewriters vs Computers.

Typewriters are old but it works (printing) but quite slow and inefficient. Not really complex, just add some oil from time to time and it works even without electricity.

Computers can do more (printing), more manageable and flexible. It has its problems, virus, HDD crash, but these are petty compared to the benefits.

That's why everyone shifted to computers.
    Last edited by Horsepower; November 9th, 2007 at 12:08 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Nakapanood ako ng isang auto program sa Solar Sports. Forgot the title.

Me sinabi dun na a certain Hyundai diesel has beaten a Toyot Prius sa isang contest. D ko masyado narinig kung anong contest. FC cguro kasi ano ba naman ang ilalaban sa Prius.

Eto un dessert challenge na episode na Pajero pa rin ang winner, pero not the Dakkar.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Lahat ba ng CRDI "pareha"?