New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Taken from a Canadian website... Mejo kakatamad basahin kasi mahaba but it makes sense.

Idling: Myths Versus Reality

Ask Canadian motorists why they idle their vehicles, and you'll likely get a simple answer: to warm up the engine before they drive away. It's one of the most commonly held myths in Canada about driving. And it costs you money, wears out your vehicle's engine and generates unnecessary greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change.
    Contrary to popular belief, idling isn't an effective way to warm up your vehicle, even in cold weather. The best way to warm it up is to drive it. In fact, with today's engines, you need no more than 30 seconds of idling on winter days before you start to drive.
    The notion that idling is good for your vehicle is passé – in fact, it hasn't been the right thing to do since the advent of electronic engines. The truth is that excessive idling can damage the engine.
    The reason? An idling engine isn't operating at its peak temperature, which means that fuel doesn't undergo complete combustion. This leaves fuel residues that can condense on cylinder walls, where they can contaminate oil and damage parts of the engine. For example, fuel residues are often deposited on spark plugs. As you spend more time idling, the average temperature of the spark plug drops. This makes the plug get dirty more quickly, which can increase fuel consumption by 4 to 5 percent. Excessive idling also lets water condense in the vehicle's exhaust. This can lead to corrosion and reduce the life of the exhaust system.
    Besides, what's often forgotten is that idling warms only the engine – not the wheel bearings, steering, suspension, transmission and tires. These parts also need to be warmed up, and the only way to do that is to drive the vehicle.
    Perhaps you're concerned that continually shutting off and restarting the vehicle is hard on the engine. But studies show that frequent restarting has little impact on engine parts such as the battery and starter motor. The wear on components that restarting the engine causes adds about $10 a year to the cost of driving – money that you'll likely recover several times over in fuel savings from reduced idling.
    So, when should you turn off the engine? Believe it or not, more than 10 seconds of idling uses more fuel than restarting the engine. As a rule of thumb, if you're going to stop for 10 seconds or more – except in traffic – turn the engine off. You'll save money. And your vehicle won't produce harmful emissions of carbon dioxide, the principal greenhouse gas that contributes to climate change.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Once I started the engine, I immediately but slowly drive away. I read similar article about idling years ago. Since it really makes sense, I follow it.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Ako ngayon ko lang to nalaman. I usually start the engine and let it idle for mga 2-3 mins bago ko idrive sa umaga. Hindi pala maganda.

5. Join Date
    May 2004
    Yup, I do the same. Start and go, but not pushing hard.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    how about for diesel engines? wala naman spark plug ito get dirty.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    hmm.. nice article.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    personally, no need to warm up for minutes as long as

the engine will not be put to it's limit after starting.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    I warm up...

10 seconds only

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I hardly ever idle more than half a minute, and sometimes, not even that long. It takes too long for the engine to come up to temperature when idling, even here in the Philippines, so I just drive off.

Cold running temperatures are very very BAD for your car. That's why it's annoying that some mechanics take the thermostats out of older cars... it's a slapdash solution to overheating that often does more harm than good.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Idling is bad for your engine..