New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kisshmet View Post
    ^Eh paano kung wala ng 40 sa market kasi sobrang laos na?

Sent from my SM-G355H using Tapatalk
    i doubt that will happen in the foreseeable future.
    ang daming lumang sasakyan na laos na.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    ^hehe may 50 pa nga pala..may 60 pa ba?

3. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    With oil resources getting depleted & scarce, thick oil burns more fuel its probable in the near future govt will ban the use of thick oil

That will be the end of the so called ideal 40

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    ^hehe may 50 pa nga pala..may 60 pa ba?

hindi ko alam.
    baka yung mga trak..

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    With oil resources getting depleted & scarce, thick oil burns more fuel its probable in the near future govt will ban the use of thick oil

That will be the end of the so called ideal 40

probably be more effective if govt bans old vehicles instead.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    probably be more effective if govt bans old vehicles instead.
    Old vehicles will work with thin oils

7. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    And old vehicles running on thin oil will burn less fuel

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    "air polluters", esp. if the vehicle is not maintained well.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Old vehicles will work with thin oils
    Only if the engine was designed for it. There's a balance to be achieved. If the oil is too thick, it adds drag and loses efficiency. If it's too thin, there's lesser drag but excessive wear could become an issue.

Then again, you have to define what "old" means. To me, it can mean two things or a combination of both.... that the engine is at least 1 or more generations old and it came out during a time where standards were relatively less stringent, etc. Then it could also mean it's been worn down.

A seldom-used 'old' engine would still have close to factory-tolerances while the same or even slightly newer engine that's been run through its paces wouldn't. To a varying degree, both these engines would consume/burn oil if a thinner motor oil is used.

During the designing, the engineers have determined what oil viscosity their engine requires. If it's 40-weight oil, using a 20-weight oil or thinner will likely increase wear and tear.

Another consideration is vehicle purpose and duty. For light city driving in a modern econobox, 0W20 oils are fine, unless otherwise specified or you do a lot of spirited driving or you occasionally take it to the track. For performance and heavy duty vehicles, 0W20 would likely be too thin.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Only if the engine was designed for it. There's a balance to be achieved. If the oil is too thick, it adds drag and loses efficiency. If it's too thin, there's lesser drag but excessive wear could become an issue.

Then again, you have to define what "old" means. To me, it can mean two things or a combination of both.... that the engine is at least 1 or more generations old and it came out during a time where standards were relatively less stringent, etc. Then it could also mean it's been worn down.

A seldom-used 'old' engine would still have close to factory-tolerances while the same or even slightly newer engine that's been run through its paces wouldn't. To a varying degree, both these engines would consume/burn oil if a thinner motor oil is used.

During the designing, the engineers have determined what oil viscosity their engine requires. If it's 40-weight oil, using a 20-weight oil or thinner will likely increase wear and tear.

Another consideration is vehicle purpose and duty. For light city driving in a modern econobox, 0W20 oils are fine, unless otherwise specified or you do a lot of spirited driving or you occasionally take it to the track. For performance and heavy duty vehicles, 0W20 would likely be too thin.
    Very true.

When I was still driving my preowned '89 Daihatsu Feroza, "kumakain na ng langis" as the old saying goes especially during long trips. Back then, the classic Castrol GTX 20w-50 motor oil was a standard for petrol engines. So this was my motor oil then.

For a typical summer trip to Baguio (Holy week), Makati to Pozorrubio (stop over with coffee break), 600ml na ang kinain na langis. So I do the normal "top up". Upon reaching Baguio proper via Kennon Road, another 200ml ang nabawas. That's almost 1 liter, one way pa lang. Going back to Manila is a different story. 500ml na lang ang kinain upon reaching Makati.

One day I tried Pennzoil 10w-30 (just a conventional) motor oil. Another yearly Holy Week trip to Baguio with the same stop-over at Pozorrubio, 1 liter na ang kinain na langis! Hindi pa ako nakakaakyat niyan ng Kennon Road. So to cut the long story, using a "thinner" motor oil (i.e. 10w-30) made my "old" engine consume more oil than the conventional "thicker" 20w-50. When I went back to 20w-50, yun oil consumption was less.

These are just my observations (based on my story above) on the issue of using thinner oils like 10w-30 on older engines:

1) More oil consumption during long trips under hot ambient temperature and high altitude driving = higher engine revs.

2) BETTER cold starts

3) No effect on fuel consumption.

Again, these are just my observations.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Honda Eco Premium Oil 0W-20 (Fully Synthetic)