New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I don't know kung uso ang fake thermostats but I know uso ang fake Honda parts so better make sure you get a good one, install it properly and don't forget to clean the area to get a good seal. But before you do that, test it first. Userfriendly wrote it down for you already.

*Macky the only way to verify yours is to swap in another temp gauge that you know is in good working order, and see what it does.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
    Engine will overheat if thermostat is removed.
    sorry sir but i dont agree with you,thermostat is considered a resistance in cooling system.when the fluid temperature is high enough to weakend the thermo spring (resistance),it open up and release the high temp fluid and flows to radiator to cool down,then the cooler fluid flows back to the engine.how come the engine overheat when there is no resistance in that system.one of other things will be affected if you take the thermostat off,that would be gas effeciency.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Raine, thanks for being the first to reply. Driving speed has nothing to do with the overheating. It's quite unpredictable and intermittent when it happens. Today for example, I drove Makati - Marikina - Makati without a problem, whereas last Friday, I barely drove a block when it occurred (although the car was idling at the parking lot for some time), and the temperature dropped by itself while the car was idling by the roadside.

V6Dreamer, thanks. Ganun pala downside pag tinanggal, tataas gas consumption ko? Actually natataasan na nga ako sa consumption nya ngayon e. About the coolant.... I guess I'll have to check my user's manual and record kung gaano ba kadalas ito, but I'm sure more than 2 years na.

Userfriendly, that's the procedure we did at the shop when my thermostat was replaced for the second time, hindi lang kami particular sa temperature readings then. Thanks!

Thanks for the replies all, please keep them coming if there are still some areas not covered.

Nga pala, aside from increased fuel consumption, could there be any other ill effect if these parts are removed (parang nagka-appendicitis kotse ko kung nagkataon)?..... Not that I'm rich, baka lang pumuro ako sa lotto one of these days.... hehehe....

Salamat po ulit!!!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    The engine cooling system has 2 electronic components 1: Temp Sending Unit and 2: Thermostat; Temp Sending unit main function is to indicate the temperature to your gauge, this is resistive type, when temperature increases, the resistance reading will be approaching to "closed" state, when cold it is in "open" state; Thermostat main function is to control your radiator fans, if you will observe, your radiator fans "start automatically", when the engine is cold, the fans will not start so that the engine will reach the optimal operating temp faster.. but when the engine reached temperature higher than the "optimal operating temp" the fans will automatically to cool down the system.. These parts are installed in the position that will not impede the circulation of engine coolant..

I advise to have your radiator checked for accumulation of dirt or blockage..

A good running engine will not overheat easily, I had a mazda 323 before that i forgot to refill the coolant reservoir and forget to check the radiator for 6months of everyday usage.. When one day I remembered to check it, the water from the coolant reservoir is already dried up and the water level inside the radiator is already half from the radiator cap... still my temp reading is still in normal and no overheating was experienced

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis powell View Post
    sorry sir but i dont agree with you,thermostat is considered a resistance in cooling system.when the fluid temperature is high enough to weakend the thermo spring (resistance),it open up and release the high temp fluid and flows to radiator to cool down,then the cooler fluid flows back to the engine.how come the engine overheat when there is no resistance in that system.one of other things will be affected if you take the thermostat off,that would be gas effeciency.
    Hi Dennis,

The coolant thermostat is a two way valve, often mounted on the dischage port of the cylinder head. At cold condition, thermostat closes the flow path to the radiator, and diverts coolant to the suction side of the water pump through a short bypass pipe/hose. This rapidly brings the engine to operating temperature as water is not cooled by the radiator.

As the engine reaches operating temperature, thermostat closes the flow path to the water pump, and opens the flow path to the radiator.

If the thermostat is removed, we will have two flow paths open, one to the suction side of the water pump, and the other to the radiator. Most of the coolant will be pulled in by the water pump as this is the path of least resistance, and only a small volume of water will go to the radiator for proper cooling.

Engine will overheat.

Bye.

Dieseldude

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    i agree with you sir dieseldude.. if you do take the termostat off. then make sure you close the bypass pipe or hose so that all the water will have to go through the radiator....
    Last edited by cocoy; May 2nd, 2008 at 03:59 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    You may want to overhaul your radiator. May be blocked. If your coolant is over 2 years old, replace.

If you can spend 1800 pesos, try having Lavramon done on your radiator by Autotechnika. Its basically a deep clean and flush of both radiator and engine water jackets.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    You may want to overhaul your radiator. May be blocked. If your coolant is over 2 years old, replace.

If you can spend 1800 pesos, try having Lavramon done on your radiator by Autotechnika. Its basically a deep clean and flush of both radiator and engine water jackets.
    Sir,

You mean this, as well as the thermostat/valve replacement?

Thank you!

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by teteng View Post
    Sir,

You mean this, as well as the thermostat/valve replacement?

Thank you!
    Well they are different animals. The t-stat is basically a valve that controls the coolant flow to the radiator. Replacing it wont help if you have a clogged radiator. I suggest you check it, but if its stuck closed, your temp will shoot up and wont go down. A simple way to check is hold your upper radiator hose. If its hot then coolant is flowing and your t-stat should be open. If its cold and your engine is hot, you found your problem.

A radiator overhaul is manual cleaning of the radiator. Its done to remove clogs, rust etc.. They remove both top and bottom covers and manually clean the radiator with a rod. Its cheap and effective. Only drawback is it cant clean any blockage inside the engine. Most of the time this is all you need.

Lavramon on the other hand is a chemical cleaning process. It does everything a radiator overhaul does. Albeit chemically instead of physically plus it also cleans the water jackets inside your engine. This is optional, just do it if you have money to burn.

The thing with overheat, is it can be a lot of small things. The cooling system is often neglected. Aside from those already mentioned, you still have your radiator cap, fans, H2O pump, fan belts, thermoswitch etc.. Best way is to have them all checked by a competent mechanic.

BTW, since you have had several overheats, ask the mechanic to check your head gasket.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    removing isn't solving the problem. make sure 1st what is causing the temperature to rise and fix it. don't take shortcuts imo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Honda Civic Thermostat & Valve Removal