New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    I currently use petron unleaded with 93 octane, i noticed on moderate to hard acceleration tumotope yung makina. I have the a/t transmission by the way. on older cars they have the distributor which you can adjust, sa innova kasi i can't see any distributor. i ruled out the fuel used kasi on my other cars wala naman pinging using the same fuel. thanks

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bratski View Post
    I currently use petron unleaded with 93 octane, i noticed on moderate to hard acceleration tumotope yung makina. I have the a/t transmission by the way. on older cars they have the distributor which you can adjust, sa innova kasi i can't see any distributor. i ruled out the fuel used kasi on my other cars wala naman pinging using the same fuel. thanks
    Unleaded with 93 RON is just fine with your Innova. Hadn't experienced it with my J version. Just have it check at the casa.

:coffee: [SIZE="1"]3833[/SIZE]

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I have an Innova G vvti. What do you mean by "pinging"?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007

may check engine light ba??? if not, then check the Spark Plugs. pero if everythings OK, then the last thing to check are the Knock Sensors.

aite, peace.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You can't rule out fuel by what your other cars like... different cars react differently to different fuels. Try running higher octane... if that doesn't cure it, then you have a sensor problem... possibly a knock sensor or O2 sensor. Those two sensors are what tell the engine to adjust the timing.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Had that experience din before...have it checked sa casa.
    Have been using Shell Velocity then V-Power now since I got my Innova last 2006.
    Problem usually shows up when I gas up other than Shell...
    HTH...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    I have an Innova G vvti. What do you mean by "pinging"?
    Pinging = Kumakatok yung makina (engine knock). Usual cause is bad/low octane fuel.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Also note that not all high octane gasolines are the same. Gas stations use the same base gasoline for all octanes. They just change the additive package.

Some engines like the additive package of Petron Blaze... some, like mine, prefer the package of V-Power. Some cars needing 95 don't actually run well on Blaze. But this is a case-to-case basis.

The engine on your Innova shouldn't be so sensitive, though... best to have it checked at the casa... maybe clean the O2 sensor, run a new tank of good fuel, and see what you get.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    sir niky,
    since you mentioned the knock sensor and o2 sensors, i just have a few questions
    1. are knock sensors and o2 sensors the same?
    2. can cleaning an o2 sensor be done diy?
    3. can these components fail prematurely?
    4. can you also clean the knock sensor?

Ive tried loading up on petron e10 (95 octane) yesterday to see if there's any difference. but im curious as to the knock sensor, since the innova has one, its job is to adjust the timing accordingly right? but since the engine still pings there must be something wrong with the sensor, correct me if im wrong. thanks

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup. It's either the knock sensor not doing its job (can't be cleaned... it's a vibration sensor, not a fluid sensor) or the O2 sensor not adjusting properly.

O2 sensors can go bad due to deposits, but it's not that common. You can clean it if you have a socket wrench for O2 sensors (they have a notch so they don't catch on the sensor wire) or use an open wrench with a lot of patience. Check if there are deposits on it... you can clean it off with a rag. But usually, it isn't this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Help Engine pinging on innova vvti