New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yellahfellah View Post
    Nung "kumatok na yung engine", naghanap yung anak ko ng gas station at duon na nila nalaman sa gas station attendant na hindi na dapat nila ibyahe ang sasakyan. Naka-insured naman with Standard Insurance so I availed of their FREE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE & TOWING from there to our house in QC.

As for what "kumatok ang engine" means, I understand that it is a general term that most car enthusiasts supposedly understand. Personally, it sounds just like that... a knocking sound produced by the engine when it is running. As for its implications, kelangan nga ibaba ang makina & i-disassemble to find out the extent of the damage and what parts needs to be replaced. But I assume you already know that. So why ask the question?
    no offense meant, but honestly, i do not know what the guy who said it, really meant.
    very loosely, it can mean "there's something wrong with the engine", or, literally, the engine is making strange knocking sounds.. and we all know that can mean so many things to so many people to so many engines..
    it can mean something as minor as pre-ignition brought about by mal-adjusted ignition timing or engine overheating, or a broken valve ice-picking its way thru the engine block or head..

2. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by miko101130 View Post
    hindi pa naman naibaba ang engine at nabubuksan loob. you won't know the true extent of the damage unless you tear it down.

kung damaged na ang internal parts mo, wala nang need pa i-pa machine shop yung repalceable parts. papalitan mu yan.

the machine shop will usually revolve around the valves, and crankshaft area.

ang bulk of work will be the overhaul in the car shop. sila mag tatangal at magbabalik ng lahat.

mag canvas ka muna nang MAIN BEARING/THRUST WASHER/ OVERHAULING GASKET SET/CYLINDER HEAD BOLT ETC.....

first canvas ka muna mga probable parts to be repalced, then hanap ka shop na matino at reliable trabaho ( isang gawaan at bukasan lang) , then
    pabaklas mo engine mo, tignan ano extent damage, then saka mo masisigurado ang singil ng machine shop by that time. and mas definite na ang price na aabutin mo sa total work.
    Sir miko101130, naibaba na po ang makina at dinala ko na nga sa machine shop and they gave me nga a job quotation which i already attached. If you will analyze the job quotation, you will note the parts to be replaced and also the parts which will need to be machined. Based on that, you can also surmise/conclude the extent of the damage. Hindi po ako maalam sa mechanical engines, but i know that most car enthusiasts can understand and analyze the attached job quotation and form an opinion based on it. Hopefully, you can, too...

Quote Originally Posted by miko101130 View Post
    hindi pa naman naibaba ang engine at nabubuksan loob. you won't know the true extent of the damage unless you tear it down.

kung damaged na ang internal parts mo, wala nang need pa i-pa machine shop yung repalceable parts. papalitan mu yan.

the machine shop will usually revolve around the valves, and crankshaft area.

ang bulk of work will be the overhaul in the car shop. sila mag tatangal at magbabalik ng lahat.

mag canvas ka muna nang MAIN BEARING/THRUST WASHER/ OVERHAULING GASKET SET/CYLINDER HEAD BOLT ETC.....

first canvas ka muna mga probable parts to be repalced, then hanap ka shop na matino at reliable trabaho ( isang gawaan at bukasan lang) , then
    pabaklas mo engine mo, tignan ano extent damage, then saka mo masisigurado ang singil ng machine shop by that time. and mas definite na ang price na aabutin mo sa total work.
    Sir miko101130, naibaba na po ang makina at dinala ko na nga sa machine shop and they gave me nga a job quotation which i already attached. If you will analyze the job quotation, you will note the parts to be replaced and also the parts which will need to be machined. Based on that, you can also surmise/conclude the extent of the damage. Hindi po ako maalam sa mechanical engines, but i know that most car enthusiasts can understand and analyze the attached job quotation and form an opinion based on it. Hopefully, you can, too...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rey752 View Post
    Sir try to call Shurfit Incorporated.the shop is located at Potrero Malabon,along Mc Arthur Highway lang sya.before naka pag pa machine shop kami sakanila ng engine pero alam ko nasa 4 Digit lang price non.pero kami bumibili ng valve seat saka ung base daw.same condition din katok ung engine.pero Toyota 2C-T ung engine na yon naputulan ng timing belt.I dunno kung mas mahal sa Avanza kase for me pareparehas lang silang metal haha.
    sir rey752, thanks po for your suggestion. I will go there tomorrow with our engine and get a job estimate from them...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Suggestion is to get an estimate from Toyota also.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Sir mda, bakit po sa Toyota? To get the maximum possible charge? Or to get the list of items to be bought & repaired (sort of a baseline to compare with others)? Mahal po kasi ang charge nila just for the estimate, and mabagal po sila kumilos kasi...

Sir mda, bakit po sa Toyota? To get the maximum possible charge? Or to get the list of items to be bought & repaired (sort of a baseline to compare with others)? Mahal po kasi ang charge nila just for the estimate, and mabagal po sila kumilos kasi...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post

no offense meant, but honestly, i do not know what the guy who said it, really meant.
    very loosely, it can mean "there's something wrong with the engine", or, literally, the engine is making strange knocking sounds.. and we all know that can mean so many things to so many people to so many engines..
    it can mean something as minor as pre-ignition brought about by mal-adjusted ignition timing or engine overheating, or a broken valve ice-picking its way thru the engine block or head..
    Sir dr. d, i think it is obvious naman po when "kumatok ang engine" is mentioned in the same paragraph as "the dashboard indicator light for the oil lit up", that more-or-less alam nyo na po kung anong nangyari... I am looking for some help po and do not need people to nitpick my post. i believe i have posted a lot of info already on my problem and hopefully you guys can sift through it to get a good idea as to the extent of damage on our engine. Ayaw ko po makipag pilosopohan sa inyo dahil ang kailangan ko po ay ang tulong ninyo in terms of suggestions as to where to go or what to do, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post

Sir dr. d, i think it is obvious naman po when "kumatok ang engine" is mentioned in the same paragraph as "the dashboard indicator light for the oil lit up", that more-or-less alam nyo na po kung anong nangyari... I am looking for some help po and do not need people to nitpick my post. i believe i have posted a lot of info already on my problem and hopefully you guys can sift through it to get a good idea as to the extent of damage on our engine. Ayaw ko po makipag pilosopohan sa inyo dahil ang kailangan ko po ay ang tulong ninyo in terms of suggestions as to where to go or what to do, etc.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yellahfellah View Post
    In my opinion sir, it is for these things:
    1. The 'casa' has the technology and expertise to check. They may not have the street smart of the local talyer, but they will have a checklist of what to check for problems like this that talyers may miss when they don't notice the symptoms. This is especially important if you yourself are not a car expert. This will at least provide you with a list of items to be bought and repaired as you mentioned.

2. To get the maximum possible charge... and to add, for example if all local talyers will charge me 50k and the casa 55k for what appears to be a MAJOR ENGINE REPAIR, I will go with the casa everytime. This is an exaggerated scenario where the values are very very close together, but you get my point.

3. I don't mind a high charge for the estimate, as this is my car engine I am talking about. The car is about worthless without an engine that runs reliably. If you expect to spend 30k for an engine, an additional 1-2k to diagnose it WELL is not bad.

4. Never really found the Casa slow... when was the last time you visited the casa for major repair? Hehe

If you're going to repair something as critical as your car engine, you might as well do it right diba? Hindi na bali hindi muna magamit for a while...
    Last edited by mda; September 4th, 2015 at 08:59 PM.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2015
    How about getting a second opinion sir. Try nyo po ito domeng (0916) 331 7722 he does home service just schedule with him. He will overhaul your engine kahit sa house nyo basta may space kayo and you will see everything being done to your engine and also the parts that goes into it. Highly recommend him. Former saudi mechanic. Honest guy. Hope this helps sir ty

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    In my opinion sir, it is for these things:
    1. The 'casa' has the technology and expertise to check. They may not have the street smart of the local talyer, but they will have a checklist of what to check for problems like this that talyers may miss when they don't notice the symptoms. This is especially important if you yourself are not a car expert. This will at least provide you with a list of items to be bought and repaired as you mentioned.

2. To get the maximum possible charge... and to add, for example if all local talyers will charge me 50k and the casa 55k for what appears to be a MAJOR ENGINE REPAIR, I will go with the casa everytime. This is an exaggerated scenario where the values are very very close together, but you get my point.

3. I don't mind a high charge for the estimate, as this is my car engine I am talking about. The car is about worthless without an engine that runs reliably. If you expect to spend 30k for an engine, an additional 1-2k to diagnose it WELL is not bad.

4. Never really found the Casa slow... when was the last time you visited the casa for major repair? Hehe

If you're going to repair something as critical as your car engine, you might as well do it right diba? Hindi na bali hindi muna magamit for a while...
    Sir mda, thank you po for your insights! Maganda po ang mga points na ni-raise ninyo. I will try to bring my engine to Toyota on Monday morning.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyFlakes88 View Post
    How about getting a second opinion sir. Try nyo po ito domeng (0916) 331 7722 he does home service just schedule with him. He will overhaul your engine kahit sa house nyo basta may space kayo and you will see everything being done to your engine and also the parts that goes into it. Highly recommend him. Former saudi mechanic. Honest guy. Hope this helps sir ty
    Sir SkyFlakes88, thank you po for your suggestion! Does he have his own shop? Although it would be cheaper to have things done here at home, I would prefer that the overhauling be done at the mechanic's shop.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyFlakes88 View Post
    Sir SkyFlakes88, thank you po for your suggestion! Does he have his own shop? Although it would be cheaper to have things done here at home, I would prefer that the overhauling be done at the mechanic's shop.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Help in Engine Overhaul (2007 Toyota Avanza G 1.5)