New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    yes, tatagas talaga yan. I recently used Havoline fully synth on my old ae92, tumagas nga, pero di naman yung dripping down the floor, messy lang yung engine bay. I tried adding up additive para medyo lumapot ng konti. Dont know kung tumatagas pa, papa engine wash ako and will check kung nawala tagas.

Ok lang kaya if I switch back to mineral based oil next time? di kaya manibago engine?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    so ibig sabihin ba use synth sa simula tas pag tumagal na eh MINERAL na? uhmmm bago pa sobra un car hehe wala lang just curious.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    I have read in an article that the rating of 5W-30 of Havoline Energy ... the value 30 is quite low for our hot climate? Is this true. Does this have an effect on the engine in the long term?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yup, the values is kinda low for the recommended temp in our climate... i cant tell the long term effects but i prefer to play it safe and use 20W-40 oil most of the time.

Its ok to use synth on the long run but what i know is that you should still change the oil regularly, and get one with a higher/thicker viscousity level. If you going from mineral to synth, might be adviseable to flush out all the old oil and gunk as much as possible.

5. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Originally posted by graphire

Ok lang kaya if I switch back to mineral based oil next time? di kaya manibago engine?
    same question here. is it ok next time i change oil i wud shift to mineral?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    spazz, kung low mileage pa lang oto mo, ok lang to switch, im sure hindi naman mag leleak yan, pero mararamdaman mo ng konti yan sa engine sound mo.

7. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    nasa 120k na yung odo reading ko pre. good thing about hav energy, mas gumanda takbo ng oto ko, kaya ayoko mag shift sa mineral eh. mas ramdam ko yung lakas ng hatak when i started using energy.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    spazz ayun naman pala eh. high mileage na tapos naka energy ka na. hwag ka ng mag switch. ayush na yun.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    do u think pwede akong mag switch? 145k na reading ko. i currently use Castrol GTX w/ synth guard i think 20W/40 ata yun. kahit semi synth lang? or mas ayos fully synth?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by hytan
    I have read in an article that the rating of 5W-30 of Havoline Energy ... the value 30 is quite low for our hot climate? Is this true. Does this have an effect on the engine in the long term?
    i would agreee with what tunderbolt said...it would really depend on the engine design...modern vehicles usually recommend thinner oils...if i'm not mistaken sa Ford Escape 5W-20 sa Chevy Optra 10W-30...it's safe even for our climate otherwise oil manufaturers would indicate it on the labels....

when engines operate at high speeds and high pressures, the viscosity of the oil may not be thick enough to prevent the metal parts from making contact. this will result to increased component wear and poor engine performance. ANTI-WEAR additives are included in engine oil formulations to provide longer engine life by protecting surfaces when the load and/or heat causes breakdown of the lubricant film.

most commonly used anti-wear additives are zinc. for metals parts that are not compatible or react with zinc, non-zinc (ashless) anti-wear additives are used.

for older vehicles with 100,000 km mileage or more than 5 years in age it would be safe to use thicker/mineral-based oils

HTH ;)
    Last edited by chieffy; October 6th, 2003 at 11:00 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Havoline Energy