New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    1) tama si m2, diesel engines are cleaner than gasoline engines. the output of CO and NOx of diesel engines is much lower than gasoline engines because of the more complete burn. what gives diesels a bad image is SOOT. that black smoke coming out of the tailpipe is mostly soot, e.g. carbon. it's not toxic per se, but it sure looks bad...

2) i've heard some horror stories of PASVIL drivers going to gas stations and asking for the USED ENGINE OIL that the gas station collects. apparently they mix said used engine oil with their diesel in order to save fuel. that would (probably) work because diesels can run on almost anything combustible (the MTU multifuel diesel in the Pzkw Leopard 2 tank can run on kerosene, cooking oil, etc. with no need for biodiesel conversion). but running used engine oil thru your diesel is probably spewing toxic carcinogens into the atmosphere

2. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico
    1) tama si m2, diesel engines are cleaner than gasoline engines. the output of CO and NOx of diesel engines is much lower than gasoline engines because of the more complete burn. what gives diesels a bad image is SOOT. that black smoke coming out of the tailpipe is mostly soot, e.g. carbon. it's not toxic per se, but it sure looks bad...
    If you're shown two glasses of water, one full of cloudy water, and another full of clear water, which one will you drink?

Of course the one with clear water in it.

But if you find out that the cloudy water is just water and sand, and the clear water is contaminated with some extremely rare toxic substance, which would you have?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmn....

isuzu placed ads on its engines... at full page pa ang mga iyon.

brand new isuzu engines will power the new airconditioned jeepney about 60 of them to ferry SEAGames athletes.

brand new isuzu engines with 120HP (forgot the code, nasa Manila Bulletin ang writeup) comes with tranny, gearbox, steering, suspension.. basta halos buo na except for the chasis, which isuzu was still negotiating with the bulacan-based assembler to use it for his for-export jeepney.

the monster(?) jeepneys are taller to conform with international standards , side ang opening, with the rear used only for emergency exit.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hmm...i'm seeing some hitches to this otherwise noble plan:

1. if you put dirty fuel in an engine -- carbureted or CRDi or whatever -- chances are it's gonna fart out dirty smoke too. e di dapat kasabay nito ung legislation to use Euro I/II compliant diesel?

2. di ba mas sensitive ung CRDi sa dirty fuel? paano kung nasira ug injectors(coz of the dirty diesel)? the maintenance costs are gonna kill them!

3. i think only a few will be able to purchase the engines outright. i think there should be some kind of financing/installment plan for jeepney drivers

i'm as eager as the next guy to see an end to those smoke belching monstrosities on our streets, and i'd really like this plan succeed. pero tingin ko it needs a lot of commitment and support. and since most of our politicians are too busy with the impeachment(akala mo tuloy walang dengue/typhoid outbreak)....malabo ata to

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    diesels aren't necessarily "cleaner" than gas engines, and gas engines aren't clearly "cleaner" than diesels too. they just produce different types of harmful emissions. diesels produce lower hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen for example, but produce much more particulate matter, which clogs lungs and is a real health hazard.

personally, i think they should really start seriously phasing out jeepneys (and especially tricycles) in manila already and seriously planning for efficient future mass transit. what worked in the 1950's doesnt cut it in 2005 anymore.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbt
    personally, i think they should really start seriously phasing out jeepneys (and especially tricycles) in manila already and seriously planning for efficient future mass transit. what worked in the 1950's doesnt cut it in 2005 anymore.
    My thoughts exactly. But then, aside from politicians chasing the votes of drivers, we've got those purist "nationalist" fanatics who would take any jeepney phase-out proposal by the scruff of its neck in the name of "national identity" and "Filipino ingenuity".

The jeepneys were ingenious. Half a century ago, they were... when everything we had was obliterated by the war. It should have served as a temporary mass transit system before we could establish a proper one. But today, the jeepney is no longer ingenious and is only dirty, noisy, inefficient and uncomfortable.

Another problem with our mass transit system is that it's very disorganized. We have jeepneys, FXs, and buses. The way they work as mass transportation is basically the same, and in some cases two or three of them overlap routes (or ply almost exactly the same routes)! What's the use having ALL of them if they're just going to be redundant?

If we should really keep the jeepneys to preserve "national identity", how about the A/C jeepneys then? I'm sure you're familiar with them. Those big jeeps with the bus-style door, bus-style seats, bus-style A/C... they're technically small buses that look like jeepneys.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    we have so many 2nd hand cars displayed in almost every major highway here.

ang hindi ko maintindihan ay kumbakit pinapatay yun idea ng magka-kotse ang

bawat pamilyang pinoy and mas ine-encourage pa nila na sumakay sa jeep

para daw makatipid.

remove the subsidy on diesel, encourage people to own their own cars. if we

have less jeepneys, tricycles in the streets mas maging efficient and mas matipid

pa ang mga kalsada.

other civilizations are surviving, even developing faster than

us and they dont have those pesky PUV's on the streets.

if we glorify poverty by encouraging inefficient jeepneys na ika nga pang-masa pinoy, then that's all our future will be, stuck in the 19th century.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if we glorify poverty by encouraging inefficient jeepneys na ika nga pang-masa pinoy, then that's all our future will be, stuck in the 19th century.
    amen.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    teka 19th century wala pa atang jeep dito, karitela siguro marami..

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    sana hindi mapares to sa the past agrarian reform programs, which, in essence, says: eto lupa mo, bahala ka na sa buhay mo kung pano mo itanim at isaka.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast