New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    tire pressure also always check.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    lest we forget, fuel (in)efficiency in non-moving traffic, regardless of vehicle, is in the neighborhood of 0 km/li.
    i now turn off my engine, in non-moving traffic.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    ^I've always wondered. How much fuel is used in starting the engine? Is the fuel saved enough to offset the constant restarting?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    ^I've always wondered. How much fuel is used in starting the engine? Is the fuel saved enough to offset the constant restarting?

Also to add, Which affect most in terms of A/C operation which affect FC, Is it the thermostat or the Fan at its max.?

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gian Paulo View Post
    Also to add, Which affect most in terms of A/C operation which affect FC, Is it the thermostat or the Fan at its max.?
    AFAIK its the thermostat. The fan is basically just an electric fan, while the thermostat controls the compressor.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by unmarked View Post
    guys, question. is 5 to 6 km/l reasonable for 100% pure city daily drive on a 9 year old Altis 1.6 A/T? moderate to heavy traffic mornings, light to moderate traffic afternoons (makati > ortigas, vice versa)
    Given the traffic nowadays, that's, sadly, fairly typical.

Turning off is worth it if you will be standing still for more than thirty seconds. Sometimes, I can have my engine off for up to five minutes at a time.

It's tough on your battery, though, unless you're willing to go the fully monty and have your windows down and blower off.

The cabin fan at maximum draw is typically 100-150 watts of electric juice (modern alternators produce between 800-1000+++ watts of electricity).

The AC compressor draws 3,000 - 6,000 watts of power, straight from the engine.

(I just penned an article on electrical engine load. )

-----

For some interesting reading, I'll leave this here:

https://cumminsengines.com/uploads/d...whitepaper.pdf

Lots of good information, plus some (not all) of the tricks good hypermilers use.

Uh... don't use the 100 psi discussed in the paper in your tires. Truck tires are built to run 100-120 psi (they burst at around 300 psi). Car tires burst somewhere in the 100-150 psi range. (To translate the graph to cars, consider the 100 psi load point as about 35-40 psi)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    it's the thermostat, po. it turns the compressor on and off. in the olden days, we all have experienced the engine rpm dropping when the compressor turns on. fortunately, the idle-up mechanism today, ups the rpm, making the drop almost non-existent.
    i read before, that aircon compressors eat up 5-10% of a typical car engine's power.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Given the traffic nowadays, that's, sadly, fairly typical.

Turning off is worth it if you will be standing still for more than thirty seconds. Sometimes, I can have my engine off for up to five minutes at a time.

It's tough on your battery, though, unless you're willing to go the fully monty and have your windows down and blower off.

The cabin fan at maximum draw is typically 100-150 watts of electric juice (modern alternators produce between 800-1000+++ watts of electricity).

The AC compressor draws 3,000 - 6,000 watts of power, straight from the engine.

(I just penned an article on electrical engine load. )

-----

For some interesting reading, I'll leave this here:

https://cumminsengines.com/uploads/d...whitepaper.pdf

Lots of good information, plus some (not all) of the tricks good hypermilers use.

Uh... don't use the 100 psi discussed in the paper in your tires. Truck tires are built to run 100-120 psi (they burst at around 300 psi). Car tires burst somewhere in the 100-150 psi range. (To translate the graph to cars, consider the 100 psi load point as about 35-40 psi)
    3000-6000W is around the output of 2-3 large window type household A/C's! 😱

For our heavy loaders (the Revo and Granvia), I load up to 38psi on the tires. 35 on all the others.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    3000-6000W is around the output of 2-3 large window type household A/C's! 😱

For our heavy loaders (the Revo and Granvia), I load up to 38psi on the tires. 35 on all the others.

I'm at 45 psi for the CR-V, the sedan, 50. Ride is stiff, but only annoying over potholes.

The car gets higher pressure because the tire sidewalls are much softer. There's still some squidge in the tires, even at that pressure, and the sidewalls still roll under in hard cornering. Can't wait till these wear down so I can put on proper rubber.

-----

The 3,000 - 6,000 watts are estimates based on the load draw of electric AC compressors in hybrids... but are relatively accurate as far as horsepower loss goes (6kw equals 8hp)... perhaps even on the low side.

Dyno data from overseas suggests between 8-15 hp lost from AC compressor use. I recall one dyno we did at Speedlab which showed about 10 hp loss on a Honda Civic from turning the AC on.

Yes, perhaps it's better to simply install a wall AC into your car, then run a separate alternator for it.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Fuel Consumption : How to improve or retain efficiency