New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Hi. I need some help diagnosing why my car's engine would suddenly stop while I try to rev it up from 0 rpm - 1k RPM. My car is a 1979 mitsubishi lambda.

The situation is, if I try to step on the pedal slowly (wether on neutral or gear position), at some point (probably before reaching the 1k RPM mark) the engine would suddenly stop. For me to be able to get the car moving, I should step the gas pedal past the point where the engine would stop (arnd 1.5k rpm... ang gastos sa gasolina ). Some of the things I tried were:

1. Check/Clean the high tension wires contact points.
    2. Check/Adjust the timing/position of the distributor cap.
    3. Check/adjusted carb air and gas intake.
    4. Checked the gasoline pump.

I've tried asking different mechanics and had my car checked. Some of 'em just did what I already did. Some of 'em, without even checking my car would advise either an engine top overhaul or 'baba ng makina'. I did not agree with the engine overhaul idea since weekend driving lang naman ang gamit ko sa car. and When I bought it from a friend last year, kaka-overhaul lang din.

I could still use my car, and this problem doesn't manifest itself once the car is running. The problem is during parking and worst, traffic where the car only moves meter by meter. And its really a hassle to rev the engine higher than the usual then release the clutch enough to get the car moving slowly and not full release since my rpm is a higher than required, otherwise my car would jerk forward and sigurado, bangga!

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys could provide.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by dyake04

The situation is, if I try to step on the pedal slowly (wether on neutral or gear position), at some point (probably before reaching the 1k RPM mark) the engine would suddenly stop. For me to be able to get the car moving, I should step the gas pedal past the point where the engine would stop (arnd 1.5k rpm... ang gastos sa gasolina ).
    Does this also come out when you try revving when your gear is in neutral?

3. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    sir dyake04, sorry to say this but me kalumaan na nga ho yong ride nyo..

its faulty symptoms call for a quick & rational decision on your part to gid rid of the unit before (o nangayari na) more embarrassment & costly trouble comes your way..

iyan lang ho mai-share ko..peace..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    dyake04: have you tried checking your fuel line??? baka pinapasok ng hangin. usually wala kang makikitang gas leak pero yung leak will take in air that might be causing yung sudden stops........

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    try to contact raymond sarol (mitsu mechanic)- 0920-9252290, he lives in san juan and does home service. baka ma-solve nya problem mo.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by tagalnasaabroad
    sir dyake04, sorry to say this but me kalumaan na nga ho yong ride nyo..

its faulty symptoms call for a quick & rational decision on your part to gid rid of the unit before (o nangayari na) more embarrassment & costly trouble comes your way..

iyan lang ho mai-share ko..peace..
    dude, i thnk the guy is asking for help ON HIS RIDE.

kahit pa ba 19-kopong kopong ang kotse, may pag asa parin maayos yan.

so help him out nalang if you can.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    try checking your ignition coil... those are classic symptoms.

try checking your your carburator... maybe your jet is clog.

try checking your gas cap... maybe its not pressuring that much.

try checking all hoses... u might loosing vacuum
    in your engine.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmm... mukhang nabibitin sa fuel yan... try mo palitan yuel fuel mist nozzle sa carburator. minsan nagbabara yan.
    or mas mabuti pa siguro kung ipa overhaul mo carburator mo... palit lahat ng paper gaskets, tapos clean all orifices, small holes, etc. with dry compressed air. nagbabara kasi minsan yung mga orifices sa loob ng carburator sa katagalan.
    pwede din may hangin sa fuel line. tanggalin mo muna yung linya just before the fuel filter and drain out.

kung sa ignition coil, di na tatakbo talga yan.

try mo rin linisin spark plugs....

dami factors, pero hula ko lang, sa fuel delivery system. kung fuel ignition yan... palyado takbo mo. most probably sa carburator.

hth ;)

9. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    sir glennster, soooorry po, i'm just helping the guy in my own way of thinking..

dahil po wala talaga akong alam sa technical side ng problem ng ride nya..

if my post dont lived up with your expectations please remove it as you deem fit. peace..

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ay wala pong problem yun sir.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
engine stops while stepping on gas pedal..