New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    So I would assume Delvac1 failed from your own oil preference?

Isn't that a good sign that the oil viscosity is higher than what it should be? Better engine parts protection.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    So I would assume Delvac1 failed from your own oil preference?
    In this particular case, the oil didn't meet my expectations for a 5k km analysis. It may be specific to my engine so i can't say that the oil is bad in general. Price also played a part, it's too expensive to change every 5k kms.

Isn't that a good sign that the oil viscosity is higher than what it should be? Better engine parts protection.
    Typically, it's not normal for an oil to exceed a certain viscosity increase. It should stay within a 25% range of orig spec within the drain interval. Oil thickening is caused by either base oil breakdown (burnt oil) or high soot build up (more than what the oil filter can handle).

A degraded base oil won't have enough protection while a highly sooted oil may cause increased wear metals. Think the best protection is from properly spec'd oil, doing what it was designed for.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Got it, thanks for the clarification.

I did read somewhere that recommended oil from owner's manual for a particular engine should not always have the most advance ratings. Sample, recommended CG rated then used oil is CH or CI is not advisable? I wonder if this applies to all engines?

Would those Delvac1 oils be sold *300/lliter?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    I did read somewhere that recommended oil from owner's manual for a particular engine should not always have the most advance ratings. Sample, recommended CG rated then used oil is CH or CI is not advisable? I wonder if this applies to all engines?
    In general, japanese engines prefer a different oil spec from european and US diesels. Think it's based on piston ring height, heat generated and oil consumption. Example, Isuzu engines like high TBN, high sulfated ash content, which are usually found on CD/CF4 oils. The nissan ZD30 engine does not like CG4 oils.

So for japanese engines, I look for an oil that has higher TBN, ash (oil specs based on product data sheets) so not solely based on the API rating.

Would those Delvac1 oils be sold *300/lliter?
    That's way below cost! Just PM if you're interested.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Engine Oil for LC80