New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by meleagant8
    prof ghosthunter :mrgreen:

prof, somebody kasi told me na replacing the exhaust pipe can help improve engines performance (pero un nga limited kasi 1.3 carb siya), btw he is also using a 1.3 carb lancer.....tapos di naman daw maingay...
    replacing the exhaust pipe with bigger diameter piping can help but we have to consider the engine that we are talking about. BTW, was the upgrade (of the other guy's lancer) to bigger pipes resulted in more useful power or just more fuel consumption? What other mods were done to the other Lancer 1.3 carb?

I also heard that replacing the stock carb with the carb from a large motorcycle engine can increase power... of course I can't confirm that myself. Medyo limited yung experience ko with carb engines kasi.

another alternative, can putting cold air into my intake help increase hp or faster accelration?lets say un lang ang mod na gagawin ko sa engine ko.....kasi pansin ko, the carb performs well pag malamig surroundings (like kung umuulang or kung gabi na)

i think there's a way na malagayan ng conetype ung mga carb diba?lalagyan lang ng tube?kasi ive seen this lancer gl, carb na 1.5, naka conetype tapos may tube...
    It always possible to do stuff with cars. You can install a cone filter with the tube from Simota if you have enough clearance between your engine and hood for such. So in this case, Simota cone filter kits are the best choice since it'll come with all the stuff you'll probably need. But this is called a "warm air intake" because it still takes air from inside the engine bay.

But if you want a cold air intake (CAI), then you'll need to make an extension tube from the Simota tube to your bumper or fender so you can get cooler air outside the engine bay. This would give you that extra power you feel on cold nights or rainy days. One D.I.Y. (do it yourself) way is to get the big hose from a laundry washer/dryer from a hardware store (like ACE or Handyman). Using ring clamps, you can attached the ends to the tube and filter. It will not look pretty but it does work to a degree.

Another alternative to a cold air intake (CAI) is replacing one of your headlights into a funnel to feed air to your intake. One way is to have a fiberglass funnel made. The other is to have a surplus headlight into a funnel by removing the glass, bulb and other stuff and making a hole in the rear big enough to pass enough air thru it for the engine. You can see this kind of intake in some Civics on the road. If you drive often at night, you might want to get some fog-lights installed to make up for the loss of one headlight.

2. > is offline Verified Tsikot Member
    Always start with Air flow... Exhaust system and Sport Air Filter
    Di Recomended ang Sport Air Filter sa Places na palaging baha... open na open kasi eh.
    The straighter the exhaust system the better.8)

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by >
    Di Recomended ang Sport Air Filter sa Places na palaging baha... open na open kasi eh.
    To each their own... I drive thru flooded areas because the way to my shops get flooded every often when it rains hard but I still have an open filter.

The straighter the exhaust system the better.8)
    true but that'll will only be important if you have a big displacement engine or forced induction. With a 1.6 or less displacement normally aspirated engine, it's less important.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup, and i think yung race filters na delekado sa baha eh yung mga ram intake na sa may grill ng bumper nakalagay eh. yung ang delekado unless naka air bypass valve sila like the one of AEM which was featured in SCC a couple of months back. nilublob tlga nila yung filter sa aquarium equipped with the bypass valve, wala tlgang umaangat na tubig eh! galing! :mrgreen:

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    to have a customized CAI...

mas maganda siguro kung design k nlang ng air scoop na naka direct sa air filter mo..

different cars have different design... bahala na may ari doon...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kaso problema....kung di marunong ung may ari...like me...:oops:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kung di marunong... try contacting autoxer... he'll do it for you... just have the cash ready.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    really?
    sayang di ko pa natanong ko bos ferman un....kaya nya mag design ng CAI sa carb na car?

meron dito sa amin na special promo ung gomags...wala pang 5t..headers+mufflers....di ko lam kung safe siya eh...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    really?
    sayang di ko pa natanong ko bos ferman un....kaya nya mag design ng CAI sa carb na car?
    He'll probably use the elbow joint from an existing filter kit (like Simota) then use the straight section and have it cut to need. He did a custom job for me because I needed an intake tube to adapt the electric supercharger I was trying to install in my car then. Very clean yung final work.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    is it the e-RAM?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Engine Modification 101?