New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    here's the story of the 36 km travel i had last saturday,

-a/c is on, at the 10 km mark i noticed temp is a little bit high above the normal range so i stopped by a gasoline station and let the engine cool down a little bit and when i opened up the radiator i can't see water inside so i poured water in it and it consumed about more than 2 liters of water, so that means water was not completely drained...

- i continued driving and on or about the 20th km mark again temperature starts to rise so i stopped again in a gasoline station and added more water with the same amount as before...

- again continued driving and the same thing happened but this time i did not return the radiator cap thinking that it would be quicker for me to pour in water even when its hot and in case the engine heats up again, and just as i thought the engine heats up again and I continued doing this routine until i went back to my starting point...

-yesterday, i poured water in the radiator and checked it this morning and lo and behold! water in the radiator is still full to the brim! so maybe i can now surmise that there's no hole in the radiator (which i have been thinking all along) or there's no problem in my cooling system, right?

so, here's the question, what could be the problem with my engine? because all along i thought my radiator was the culprit...

and oh, by the way car is toyota corolla 16v 1990 model with 4af engine
    Last edited by box_type; December 4th, 2017 at 12:11 PM. Reason: forgot to state car model

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    my guess is, you're overheating, causing your coolant to boil away. and not the other way around.

i would inspect the radiator fan or the aux fan.
    just because they're rotating, does not mean they're working fine. they may be rotating, but not fast enough, resulting in under-cooling.

check your coolant overflow cannister, po. if it's level is low, then you're overheating. if it's not low, then you might have a little leak, that becomes large when the engine is running. (a rule of thumb that has many caveats.)

one other possibility, is that your radiator is so dirty in and/or out, that proper heat exchange is already severely compromised.
    Last edited by dr. d; December 4th, 2017 at 11:40 AM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Replace ypur radiator cap.

Sent from my ASUS_X00DDA using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    When was the last time you changed your radiator cap? Overtime, its valve gets stuck up which prevents water from going back to the radiator. The engine's cooling system is quite complicated as every component almost reacts with each other. Things you need to consider checking: Radiator cap, Thermostat Valve, Thermostat switch, Radiator hoses (check if they're collapsed already) and the Radiator fans (as Dr. D mentioned).

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    so its in the radiator after all, ok i'll have it checked this weekend and will also replace the radiator cap and see what happens, fyi the last overhaul of the radiator was some 2-3 yrs ago maybe its time to have it overhauled, thanks for the inputs sirs!

and i will also check the fans, hoses, thermostat valves and switch...
    Last edited by box_type; December 4th, 2017 at 12:09 PM.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by box_type View Post

-a/c is on, at the 10 km mark i noticed temp is a little bit high above the normal range so i stopped by a gasoline station and let the engine cool down a little bit and when i opened up the radiator i can't see water inside so i poured water in it and it consumed about more than 2 liters of water, so that means water was not completely drained...

- i continued driving and again on or about the 20th km mark again temperature starts to rise again so i stopped again in a gasoline station and added more water with the same amount as before...

- again continued driving and the same thing happened but this time i did not return the radiator cap thinking that it would be quicker for me to pour in water in case the engine heats up again, and just as i thought the engine heats up again and I continued doing this routine until i went back to my starting point...

-yesterday, i poured water in the radiator and checked it this morning and lo and behold! water in the radiator is still full to the brim! so maybe i can now surmise that there's no hole in the radiator (which i have been thinking all along) or there's no problem in my cooling system, right?

so, here's the question, what could be the problem with my engine? because all along i thought my radiator was the culprit...

Change your radiator cap first with the same or a little higher pressure rating. Use a quality coolant. Run your engine until it reaches operating temperature enough to activate your fans. Observe for leakage to trouble shoot....

7. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by box_type View Post

- i continued driving and on or about the 20th km mark again temperature starts to rise so i stopped again in a gasoline station and added more water with the same amount as before...

- again continued driving and the same thing happened but this time i did not return the radiator cap thinking that it would be quicker for me to pour in water even when its hot and in case the engine heats up again, and just as i thought the engine heats up again and I continued doing this routine until i went back to my starting point...

Water or coolant may not be circulating..check the pump that circulate it

Cold water is pushed to the hot engine block and recirculate that hot water back to the radiator which in turn will cool it down before it get sent back to the engine block to absorb the heat generated by the combustion process

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    How hot is hot?
    What was the temperature in °F or °C?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    How hot is hot?
    What was the temperature in °F or °C?
    I doubt the typical dashboard temp gauge would provide that info.

My money is on either a worn radiator cap and/or a stuck-closed thermostat.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I doubt the typical dashboard temp gauge would provide that info.

My money is on either a worn radiator cap and/or a stuck-closed thermostat.
    this..

waterpump either works or it doesnt...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast