New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Noob View Post
    *Ginnova I was trying to PM you sir but it says that your Inbox is full.
    already cleaned up my inbox. pls me pm details of pcb fabrication

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Sir Chef Noob, where did you buy your mj10012 power transistor? I was able to source out the other parts at electronics stores near my place but its one part thats really hard to get. Thanks.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    At Alexan... They don't have the original Motorolla but they have the generic type...

News has it that Motorolla stop producing them already...but you could always use other brands with the same or higher specs. Try looking for MJ10015...I hear it is still in production.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Argh, dun lang talaga, i have built and still uses one of this in my lite ace for more than a year, im trying to build one for my brother-in-law and still on the process of getting the parts.

Yung mj10012 kasi available before when i built mine, but iirc mj10015 is whats on their specs.

Thanks.

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    sir Chef as well as other fellows in this thread, is the alexan design reliable? if so,i'll try to make one for our dust collecting gas engine....time to hone my skills on gas and electronics as well.....nasanay sa diesel eh...hehe.....

6. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    *MikeD

To answer your question, I think it all boils down to the parts you installed. As much as we all want a "perfect" system, hindi talaga maiiwasan yung chamba sa mga pyesa. Kung medyo OCD ka sa parts, you can source out original parts & replace the generic ones found at Alexan.

As for mine, I'm still using it right now & as far as performance goes, I'm really happy with it.
    In fact, sinugod ko siya sa konting baha(ankle deep) 2 days ago at around 50kph. Nagkaroon nga ng mini tsunami sa sidewalk(kung may nabasa man ako, sorry po talaga).. I ran it an additional 15min pa, then pulled over...popped the hood to check it. Nabasa nga siya due to tire splash...but it still did not short out. Either sealed lang talaga maigi casing ko or maybe the device can tolerate a bit of water.

If I may suggest though... Do not remove the ballast resistor (contrary to the instructions in the Alexan Vol 4 book) to minimize wear on the coil. Kaya siguro marami nasusunugan ng coil dati. Always remember, kahit High Power pa yang coil mo...if its been running with the ballast resistor for more than 2 years na, baka hindi na yun sanay pag nilakasan mo bigla ang kuryente.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Good morning Chef Noob...
    I registered on this nice forum because of this topic, and becasue of ur discussions re: the Electronic Ignition System of Alexan..
    I installed one for my 70's beetle 6 years ago...but I decided to disable it due to the fact that most ignition coils I installed got burned out (I've tried Red, Silver and Blue Bosch coils). Currently, I installed another type of coil, yung walang oil...black lang siya na parang transformer...Ask ko lang, if I installed again my alexan ignition system, KAYA BA NG NEW IGNITION COIL KO?.
    And also please send me diagram on where to connect the terminals..kung saan papunta....D ko po kasi na documented b4 ko dinis-able ang system..sorry po.. :-)
    Post ko later pix ng system ko....
    Maraming salamat and more power.

adasma

8. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    *adasma
    I think the other red bosch coils you installed were actually better than the oil-less one you are about to install now so if indeed you burned those coils back then, I'm pretty sure it will burn this one.

Try installing it with a ballast resistor in series with the ignition key & positive(+) terminal of your coil to reduce the current. This will help minimize the current passing through the coil & will make it less likely to heat up.

With regards to the terminals, I cannot advice you fully on that since I was not the one who rigged it. However, if you can open the box & see where the wires attach to the board, maybe I can help.

Basically, it has 4 wires...
    one wire going to the (-) of the coil
    one wire going to the contact points(with the condenser removed)
    one wire going to ground
    one wire going to the (+) of the coil or any power source that will activate upon turning of the ignition switch.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Chef Noob,
    Thank you very much for the reply.
    So, hindi po advisable na gamitin ko yung oil-less ignition coil ko?....Ano po ba ang reason ba't masyadong umiinit ang coil pag ginamitan nong alexan electronic ignition system?
    You mentioned na one wire to the contact points without the condenser....kailangan ko bang tanggalin ang condenser pag ikinabit ko ang ignition system? Nakakabit kase yung sa aking nang ikabit ko ang ignition system..hindi ba yon tama? baka yon ang cause ng overheating ng coil.
    Chef please bear with us newbies.. :-) alam ko kse kayo ang expert and am glad I found this forum.
    Thanks for the support.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Trust me sir, I'm no expert...nagkataon lang na pinag aralan ko to kasi I'm too cheap to buy a Mallory Ignition.LOL!

Yes, it is advisable to remove the condensor since with it in place, you MIGHT have problem when starting since it will absorb some load...Also, it MIGHT cause your contact points to grow some bulutong due to the current a condensor creates...HOWEVER, it will definately NOT cause your coil to heat up...

My own personal observation, the only thing thats causing the coil to heat up is the removal of the ballast resistor. It increases the output of the coil but pushes it near near to its limits.
    Just attach a new one(or the existing one) to avoid coil heat up.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
DIY: How to make your own Electronic Ignition for contact point engines