New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 13 of 186 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dvldoc View Post
    You want the FC because it is low ash in this application remember we're not using it in a 2 stroke engine, you don't want unburnt deposits in your engine, You do not use synthetic 2T oil because it leaves these unburnt deposits in your combustion chambers. Check the beginning of the thread were this is explained.

FC low ash 2T oil is the the best and cleanest burning for use in a diesel engine. DO NOT USE synthetic 2T. FC also tends to be the cheapest because it's more common l sold. At least where I looked it was.

That's why i don't use any 2T oil in my diesels.... For all you know a mineral-based 2T oil has more ash and impurities.

How about the semi-synthetic or the synthetic-base JASO FC oils, which are a combination of mineral-base oil and synthetic oil? There are also JASO FC rated oils that are fully-synthetic ones, by the way....

"Pang-tricycle" JASO FB oil is the cheapest oil (not JASO FC oil), as utilised by our tricycle-drivers. May takal-bote pa sir

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I think the thread has been pretty clear on the use of mineral 2T oil only. JASO FC is the highest rating for 2-stroke oils. JASO-FC oils leave little deposits and create very little smoke ie LOW ASH. They have a standard that must be meet just like API ratings so you know what your getting when you buy it.

The (hydrocracked/hydro-treated petroleum oils) Group III and the rare case of group IV oil of the semi and full synthetics has nothing to do with the low ash content of the oil it is the fact it now has components of the oil that will not burn during the combustion process in a diesel engine and will leave small deposits in the combustion chamber. Not like most diesels are not coated in soot and carbon deposits already, but you don't want to add to it.

2nd thing on using the synthetics and semi synthetics they do not properly mix with the diesel fuel (one of the reasons you get the unburnt particles)

The 2T oil in especially in older mechanical diesels is proven, and with low sulfur diesel on the market which these vehicles were never designed to run on your shorting the life of the injector pump. There's a reason people notice how much smoother the engine runs and how it quiets down after 2T oil. Your injection pumps were designed to have a certain amount of lubrication from the fuel, this has now been taken away with low sulfur diesel.

So it's basically up to the owner, your vehicle is normally your second most expensive investment, If it were me I would want it to run better.

But it's up to the owner what they want to do with there vehicle. When low sulfur diesel was though up it did not take in mind the older diesels it's for newer vehicles especially people with pre year 2000 diesels and and basically any mechanical fuel pump set up. If it's not a common rail it's not designed to run on low sulfur diesel. Your injector pump is wearing prematurley with fuel that is less than 500ppm sulfur period.

And if it says Ultra low sulfur diesel that's only 15ppm sulfur, you should not even think about putting that in a older diesel. Stick with biodiesel if you can get it and don't want to add 2T.

Nothing more annoying than a loud shaking diesel, especially when it does not have to run that way.

By the way I know a thing or two about oil.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    You can also use FD, it's basically the same as FC but has more detergents ie calcium and magnesium which I rather have the smallest amount possible.

FC is still the best choice.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Sir meron naba nkapagtry sa crosswind?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2011

And if it says Ultra low sulfur diesel that's only 15ppm sulfur, you should not even think about putting that in a older diesel. Stick with biodiesel if you can get it and don't want to add 2T.

By the way, I know a thing or two about oil.
    Of course you know sir dvldoc.... one or two

If you're mentioning 15 ppm (or mg/litre) sulphur in diesel fuels, you're already talking about Euro-5 compliant diesels. Incidentally, we haven't got any of that here in Phils. Companies here still sells Euro 2 to Euro 3 compliant diesel fuels and expect around 300 ppm sulphur content.

As regards to high-sulphur content, i'm using a high Total Base Number engine oil, if you know what i mean in addressing potential sulphur oxidation from a high-sulphur content diesel fuel. The fully-synth Mobil Delvac 5W-40, it being locally available is my main stable at the current, other than the semi-synth Besco 10W-30, it having the highest TBN oil locally.

As far as 2T oil is concerned, i don't see the need to use it in my diesels at any one time.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    If your local diesel is 300ppm that even more reason to use 2t, But to each his own, I use it in mine and it runs much quieter and physically smoother.

The use of the 2T oil is only there to do one thing and that's to provide additional lubrication that has now been removed due to environmental regulations.

Low sulfur diesel is normally in the range of 0.02% to 0.05% sulfur in the Philippines as well as the ones that sell 500ppm which is the legal allowable amount there. Again early 90's diesels are not designed to run on this. But the vast majority are EUR II but discussions ongoing in 2009 on adopting Euro IV standards (50 ppm) by 2012 which is going to put a hurting on the older diesels. As they were designed to run on the higher sulfur content diesel.

Bosch VP44 style injection/lift pumps do not like under 500ppm diesel fuel, it causes them to leak. And when even Cummins and Bosch are telling you this you should listen. This also goes for it's older brothers in the VP series.

http://www.blueridgediesel.com/CUMMI...905%5B1%5D.pdf

The second most common MECHANICAL failure is that the rotor seizes in the distributor section of the pump. this goes for similar style pumps as well. All previous rotary style pumps have had this problem too, to varying degrees. The most common cause and most accepted reason for this failure on rotary pumps is lack of lubrication due to running out of fuel or lower lubricity of the newer low sulfur fuels ie under 500ppm.. This also applies to the Zexel COVEC or Denso manufactured versions of this pump which are found in just about ever older JDM diesel vehicle from the 4M40, to the QD32, to the 1kzte it's a long list. See where I'm going with this folks.

Good enough reason for me to add a little 2T in my ride. You don't have to use it if you don't feel like you need it but I don't know anyone who has started to use it that plans to stop. What's cheaper injection pump rebuild or 2T?

You want at least the equivalent of 500ppm sulfur content in lubrication to keep these pumps happy.

any significant sulphur oxidation is a mute point with the level of sulfur in the diesel there. Again the 2T is not adding sulfur to your diesel. 2 cycle oil will mix with normal diesel and stay mixed. It will not separate nor plug up filters or injectors. and it helps in keeping the combustion process cleaner which is a plus.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Seaoil euro 5 diesel + 2t is full of win. Better response and smoother acceleration similar when i was using a motul synthetic diesel. Am very happy and satisfied with the result no too mention it's a breeze right now overtaking vehicles in which case i wasn't confident before coz you can feel the power wasn't there. Thumbs up to sir dvldoc.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    You want at least the equivalent of 500ppm sulfur content in lubrication to keep these pumps happy.

any significant sulphur oxidation is a mute point with the level of sulfur in the diesel there. Again the 2T is not adding sulfur to your diesel. 2 cycle oil will mix with normal diesel and stay mixed. It will not separate nor plug up filters or injectors. and it helps in keeping the combustion process cleaner which is a plus.
    I can really feel the smoothness of the old 4m40 engine (which uses zexel BTW) by adding 2T even if just the widely available FB ones. Luckil castrol activ has a premium line of 2T. Another significant difference is the elimination of the shut off thud which I hate. Now its completely gone. Dring early morning star-ups, smoke is usually noticeable in the first minute but now by using 2T oil in the diesel fuel, you can't notice any. Now that says a lot also about making the engine burn the fuel better.

The decarbonizing agents also IMO (a BIG p us)helps because before when i clean the exhausr there are just so many black debris but now, its drastically reduced and coupled with an OCC. Its really a big help to the engine.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Oh yes the dreaded shut off shudder, It got ride of mine as well. Anyone with a older diesel will not be disappointed with it's performance. Your not going to stop using it after you start.

My QD32ETI use to shake like a it was running on rocks, but after a few tanks of 2T, it was almost as smooth as a gas engine.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Oh yes the dreaded shut off shudder, It got ride of mine as well. Anyone with a older diesel will not be disappointed with it's performance. Your not going to stop using it after you start.

My QD32ETI use to shake like a it was running on rocks, but after a few tanks of 2T, it was almost as smooth as a gas engine.
    My ride's engine if even quiter than the Ford Ranger (WLT) and the Strada TDiC (with just 25K odometer) we have here. If i find a decibel reading machine I'll get one just to be accurate. ;)

I even started on using it with an Isuzu 4BE1 engine of our delivery trucks and we put 400ml 2T for a 90liter capacity and instantly at idle the reduction in smoke is very noticeable. A few more treatment and I'll check if the reduction in noise and shut off shudder is also noticeable. The drivers said the smoke reduction is very evident.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

Diesel owners that add 2T oil to fuel