New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Due to the community quarantine our cars seldom get used. What is the real deal when it comes to fuel expiration in our local conditions? I have 2 months old gasoline and 3-4 months old diesel in our cars. It has been my practice to fill the tanks every visit to the pump to minimize water contamination from too much humid air in the tank. But now I'm starting to get worried the fuel system might get damaged from expiring fuel.

Can anyone shed more light on this?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    Due to the community quarantine our cars seldom get used. What is the real deal when it comes to fuel expiration in our local conditions? I have 2 months old gasoline and 3-4 months old diesel in our cars. It has been my practice to fill the tanks every visit to the pump to minimize water contamination from too much humid air in the tank. But now I'm starting to get worried the fuel system might get damaged from expiring fuel.

Can anyone shed more light on this?
    on paper, 3 to 6 months yata.
    but in practice, our four-month old fuel didn't give any trouble at all.
    i filled up a week before the great quarantine. three months later, i drove the car out without any problem. it was still ok until the next fuel-fill a month later.

the last time we had issue with old fuel, was in the early days of ethanol blends.
    after some months of queening the garage, the car wouldn't start anymore. after some kutingting, we determined it was fuel starvation. what we found, was surprising! the fuel in the tank had turned to... nata de coco! we had to buy a replacement fuel tank.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    For Diesel fuel, bacterial growth is the one to look out for. They thrive when humidity is high.... and the rainy season isn't helping. These bacteria produces by-products that can clog fuel filters.

They say that, to slow down the moisture from getting in and prevent condensation in your tank, always keep it filled up with fresh fuel.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last edited by StockEngine; August 20th, 2020 at 07:45 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Diesel does not "expire" but as oj88 said it is the microbial growth that is the problem. These biologicals come from the ships that transport fuels as when the ship is unloaded it is necessary to fill the empty tanks with ballast water (sea water, in fact). Believe me it is not uncommon for us to find crabs and fish when we clean our main fuel tanks offshore. There are additives that are available for adding to diesel in order to mitigate these biologicals.

As for gasoline, the more volatile components will evaporate, leaving the less volatile, harder to ignite components in your fuel tank. BUT this is not much of a problem for fuel injected engines. Problema lang yan sa carburated engines.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    whistly,

sa experience not really mine more of mga nakakwentuhan na ofws.

hindi na-istart kotse ng almost a year. Pinilit gamitin. Biglang ayaw gumana yung brake. So may aksidente nangyari pero buhay naman.

So kung sa bahay work from home eh twice a week istartin mo tapos bomba sa fuel pedal at depress brake na din. Yung asta nagdadrive ka pati kambyo galaw-galawin. Wag na din itaas handbrake. Kalsuhan mo na lang ng bato.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    The gasoline car I'm not too worried about. Thing guzzles gas so I can probably use it up in a month or so. Problem with the diesel cars is they either have big tanks and/or are so efficient, with my current usage it'll take me a couple more months at least to use up all the fuel.

Have you guys used any of these fuel stabilizers/biocides?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    The gasoline car I'm not too worried about. Thing guzzles gas so I can probably use it up in a month or so. Problem with the diesel cars is they either have big tanks and/or are so efficient, with my current usage it'll take me a couple more months at least to use up all the fuel.

Have you guys used any of these fuel stabilizers/biocides?
    I drink hundreds of liters per month LOL, but CR is one of my trusted websites.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    My brother's car was a nightmare repair coz of stale VPower. Gunk in the gas tank, fouled injectors, fuel filter and lines. Even after cleaning the injectors several times it would eventually gunk up again. He ended up having to replace the entire fuel tank. Granted his car sat unused for over a year, not just a couple of months.

IMO if you're gonna store the car long term fill up with Blaze (zero ethanol is a big advantage).

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    I drink hundreds of liters per month LOL, but CR is one of my trusted websites.
    Got a link for the additives bro? Search in Lazada comes up empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    My brother's car was a nightmare repair coz of stale VPower. Gunk in the gas tank, fouled injectors, fuel filter and lines. Even after cleaning the injectors several times it would eventually gunk up again. He ended up having to replace the entire fuel tank. Granted his car sat unused for over a year, not just a couple of months.

IMO if you're gonna store the car long term fill up with Blaze (zero ethanol is a big advantage).
    This is a great idea. Will try Blaze next fill up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast