New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Hi,

I'm planning to change my fuel from unleaded to premium gasoline, what are the things to be considered? Do I have to change any parts on my car for this? I have a Honda Civic Lxi 97 car.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_celiz09 View Post
    Hi,

I'm planning to change my fuel from unleaded to premium gasoline, what are the things to be considered? Do I have to change any parts on my car for this? I have a Honda Civic Lxi 97 car.

Thanks!
    Why are you changing your fuel type? I don't think there would be an issue with the car you have.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    All gasolines being sold here are now unleaded, regular or premium.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by K.I.L.L. View Post
    Why are you changing your fuel type? I don't think there would be an issue with the car you have.
    I'm after the octane rating actually. I would like to observe if it will have a significant effect on my car's performance.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    All gasolines being sold here are now unleaded, regular or premium.
    If that's the case, I think the gasoline companies should change how they brand their products.
    So it means there is no issue if I change to unleaded to premium? No parts to be changed. :D

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    If that's the case, I think the gasoline companies should change how they brand their products.
    So it means there is no issue if I change to unleaded to premium? No parts to be changed. :D
    Definitely no need to change parts.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I'm after the octane rating actually. I would like to observe if it will have a significant effect on my car's performance.
    Octane isn't an indicator of gasoline energy density.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Siguraduhin mo lan na ung gas station ay hindi madumi ung gasoline nila (hindi binabaha, hindi hinahaluan ung tanke, etc.).

experience ko same brand, same type of gasoline, pag sa gas station A maganda performance, pag sa gas station B, poor performance. Kaya meron ako suking gas station, pag hindi maiwasan max na ung Php500 sa hindi suking gas station.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    naming of fuel grades is probably more simplistically related to octane rating.

octane rating is a measure of a fuel's ability to resist pre-ignition.
    pre-ignition is precisely that: fuel ignition before it is supposed to do so, as dictated by the spark plug. pre-ignition can prematurely ruin an engine.
    some engines have higher compression, in an effort to increase power output.
    unfortunately, higher compression tends to pre-ignite a fuel. hence, the need for higher octane fuel in higher compression engines. using lower octane fuel in these engines can result in poor engine performance and shortened engine life.

so, if your question is, will i need to do engine adjustments if i want to use higher octane (premium grade) fuel than what the manufacturer recommends? the answer is probably, no. but it will probably be just an un-necessary expense.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's basically knock resistance (octane levels). Some cars can get more power from higher gas octanes if the engines are tuned to higher parameters (i.e. timing advance) where regular fuel will encounter engine knock. In the case of Hondas, per my experience there's really no need to go for higher octane levels on their regular rides.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast