New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    hi, I'm new here at tsikot

I just want to ask if changing my air filter affect my fuel consumption? I was planning to change it preferrably to k&n if budget would allow me. I'm on a crusade to save on fuel at the same time upgrade the performance of my lancer 95'.

B.R.

btw, big thanks to the forum for the info on some fuel saving gadgets, it crossed my mind to try these things. Now i know better

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imho, walang magiging masyadong effect sa fuel consumption yan, although may minimal effect yan sa performance dahil mas nakakahinga ang makina.

remember that combustion is a mixture of air and fuel. pag maluwag ang air mo, mas maganda combustion, so it means, better and more efficient engine performance.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMO meron, cone type air filter is a modification. pero di naman ganun kita ang diff.

siguro pag isama mo na intake, exhaust and headers...

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    The most noticeable change is the engine sound. Plug in the K&N and try to step on the accelerator abruptly for around 2 times. Airflow is much better, and once you go near the redline, it's certainly music to your ears.

As for fuel economy, it should remain the same, if not even better. I placed a racing filter in a Civic, and noticed that the fuel gauge takes a bit longer to go down. I don't have exact findings for this, but all I can say is that the car runs more lightly just with that filter change alone.

K&N cone filters are designed to outlast your car, provided that you clean it properly. This costs around 3K at AutoCentro Cubao (across AliMall). And if I'm not mistaken, you can just remove the airbox assembly of your Lancer, then connect the cone filter through a short tube. That should cut your costs a bit.
    Last edited by squala; November 30th, 2005 at 02:16 AM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tama, sarap pakinggan pag high rpm na. rinig na rinig mo ung paghigop ng hangin. hehehe

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    thank's for the info, I'll certainly add this on my christmas list heheh

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    This costs around 3K at AutoCentro Cubao (across AliMall). And if I'm not mistaken, you can just remove the airbox assembly of your Lancer, then connect the cone filter through a short tube. That should cut your costs a bit.
    yung price bang ito ay kasama na yung adapters at installation/labor?

8. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    i inquired once sa fusion r, 6.5T total cost.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    your fuel consumption might worsen also... depending on the location of your open-type air filter - if it is is situated near the aux fans / radiator / engine block and is gulping down hot air.

performance will only slightly improve... a few horses can still be unleased but keep in mind that it will all be minimal (you'll be lucky if you get a 5hp increase). what matters is that the powerband of your engine will improve...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kenet_3
    yung price bang ito ay kasama na yung adapters at installation/labor?
    Yung cone pa lang yon. Yung mga nagtitipid, inaalis lang yung original airbox (as in lalagyan nung filter element), tapos magdudugtong ng kapirasong tubo para iconnect sa cone. Ginagawa naman ng karamihan is K&N cone with Simota tube para mas mura. Kung ako ang tatanungin, gagastusin ko na lang ang pera ko sa iba kaysa sa K&N tube pa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
changing air filter to cone type K&N