New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sir dvldoc,

Maybe you can teach us how o properly clean the egr? I am sure my pick up truck has accumulated already atleast half of the dirt that is in the picture you posted since i da a lot of idling stop and go driving thru traffic here in downtown manila.....

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KCboy View Post
    Sir dvldoc,

Maybe you can teach us how o properly clean the egr? I am sure my pick up truck has accumulated already atleast half of the dirt that is in the picture you posted since i da a lot of idling stop and go driving thru traffic here in downtown manila.....
    Madali lang sir linisin EGR ng 4d56.

Somewhere here posted the procedure I just can't remember eh. Yung metal tube lang naman and 2 bolts are what is holding the egr to the intake manifold. Easy to DIY. Use gasoline for cleaning since mas madali matuyo.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Regular cleaning of the EGR will not harm it. You need a good degreasing solvent and some elbow grease to clean it out. Boiling water really breaks it up quickly as well. Just let it dry out before re-installing.

I recommend everyone inspect it at least once a year, every 6 months would be much better because they get nasty very quickly especially if you don't have a oil catch can.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    i have a gen 3 pajero from japan, jdm unit... i completely cleaned the intake manifold and all intake tract including the egr throttle body etc... it was indeed dirty..

1. adding catch can can only reduce the dirt soo much... the catch can is not the major source of engine dirt but the EGR...

2. the Egr is a Necessary evil... if you maintain your EGr regularly there is no reason why you should close/remove it..

3. diesel engines produces more soot than petrol therefore cleaning must be more frequent... i think once a year would suffice..

the auto industry always aspire to lower emission and improve efficiency, the EGR was designed to lower emissions and improve efficiency, there are no immortal car parts! therefore all contraptions on our vehicles needs cleaning and replacing... if your EGR is dirty CLEAN IT.. if your EGR is faulty REPLACE IT,, but don't remove it. there is no guilt-free car.

On newer cars the EGR has a start up sensor, it will do a self test diagnosis by cycling the valve of the EGR to prevent it from stucking up, if its stucking up the EGR will send a fault code and engine light will illuminate..

on older cars there maybe no sensors in the EGR valve, therefore the owner must periodically listen to the thack-thack sound it produces during start up to know if its functioning... you can also manually use a multimeter to know if the circuitry is ok..

the owner is responsible for maintaining the vehicle in tip-top condition so that its emission and performance is good. Failure of a part is not a reason to completely removed it,, everything in your car has a valid function..

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Unfortunately most people have no clue this is a issue. They only work if they are maintained.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    as for my former shop foreman in the medium and heavy equipment shop if he can't figure it out:
    alisin mo yan, pampagulo lang yan once he gets stuck on something. he refuses to learn just like many of our own people. stuck in the '70's car mentality. read, get educated and get training on things you feel is important or leave the vehicle maintenance to the professionals

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by miko101130 View Post
    i have a gen 3 pajero from japan, jdm unit... i completely cleaned the intake manifold and all intake tract including the egr throttle body etc... it was indeed dirty..

1. adding catch can can only reduce the dirt soo much... the catch can is not the major source of engine dirt but the EGR...

2. the Egr is a Necessary evil... if you maintain your EGr regularly there is no reason why you should close/remove it..

3. diesel engines produces more soot than petrol therefore cleaning must be more frequent... i think once a year would suffice..

the auto industry always aspire to lower emission and improve efficiency, the EGR was designed to lower emissions and improve efficiency, there are no immortal car parts! therefore all contraptions on our vehicles needs cleaning and replacing... if your EGR is dirty CLEAN IT.. if your EGR is faulty REPLACE IT,, but don't remove it. there is no guilt-free car.

On newer cars the EGR has a start up sensor, it will do a self test diagnosis by cycling the valve of the EGR to prevent it from stucking up, if its stucking up the EGR will send a fault code and engine light will illuminate..

on older cars there maybe no sensors in the EGR valve, therefore the owner must periodically listen to the thack-thack sound it produces during start up to know if its functioning... you can also manually use a multimeter to know if the circuitry is ok..

the owner is responsible for maintaining the vehicle in tip-top condition so that its emission and performance is good. Failure of a part is not a reason to completely removed it,, everything in your car has a valid function..
    sir how did you clean your intake manifold, intake tract?

my EGR is blocked right now. but i have been thinking of just cleaning the unit and make it work again. sayang naman yung technology. its there na. might as well make full use of it/

8. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    where is the egr in the xuv 05 A/T turbo? i will try to clean it DIY. it would better if somebody can post pics where it is. TIA.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    there are bolts and gaskets to remove... i first remove the engine top cover(plastic at top of engine).. then remove the airfilter box. remove the throttle body assembly. remove the sparkplug covers. remove the electrical sensors at the top of the intake manifold. and then remove the manifold itself... the engine was really dirty lots of gunk... once i was able to clean it,, fuel consumption improved and it feels light to drive (considering na gasoline engine pa yun ha)....

that is true we should remove the lame mechanic mentality... we should read and educate ourselves. in the end tayo din nakikinabang dahil meh alam ka sa car mo and basic engine hindi ka agad maloloko ng mechanic and you'll be more confident dealing with shops.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shelu View Post
    where is the egr in the xuv 05 A/T turbo? i will try to clean it DIY. it would better if somebody can post pics where it is. TIA.
    I think wala pa EGR system ang 05 model? The engine with EGR should look like this:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Blocking of egr