New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2008
    A little bit background on the car. The car is a 2004 1.5 Vios. Prior to being passed to me, my dad used it as an everyday car and I had no idea how he maintained it. The car was given to me as my daily driver and I had changed the intake and removed the catalytic converter. When I eventually took over its maintenance, I peeked through the oil cap and noticed some varnishing in it. So in an effort to remove the varnishing and hopefully remove the sludge I did the following steps:
    1. Oil Change at short interval - the way that I did this was that I change my oil using mineral type at 500km-1000km. Every oil change I used 1 liter of oil to use for flushing.
    2. Then I used Mag 1 All fleet and added Seafoam (both through intake and mixed with oil) and ran for around 4000km

Confident that I had somehow overcome the problem, I used Liqui Moly with BT 223 for around 7000km. Liqui Moly is probably the best oil Iv'e used, the engine was running silently and smoothly. Then I noticed an oil leak on the upperpart of the engine. The mechanic told me that its probably time to replace my engine cover gasket (not sure if correct). I scheduled the replacement of the gasket with my oil change. During the oil change, the mechanic and I were surprised that the Liqui Moly still retained most of its color, it was dark brown but not black probably due to the oil filter (props to doc for this). However, when the top of the engine was removed lo and behold! sludge everywhere! the mechanic immediately recommended that an oil pan cleaning and oil strainer (not sure, but the part that suck oil from the bottom) needs to be cleaned. When he removed the oil pan, it contained so much asphalt....err sludge. So now, I'm selling the car haha just kidding! a change engine would be a good option later on. But its hard not to think about the other parts of the engine that still had the gunk when I'm driving it. Moral of the story: Want to change engine? don't maintain it .

Engine cover half cleaned (Picture was taken via phone so its not too clear)

Oil pan with asphalt

Bottom of the engine

Sludge

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Eeewwww! Thanks for sharing

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Looks like your dad was not too eager on change oils eh. :D

Use a oil with a high detergency (i.e. Delo?) then do another flush after 1,000kms as well. At least you fixed it before there was any serious damage. Since the engine was apart, inspect the timing chain and tensioners as well as this can become a victim to the oil sludge later on.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    ^^^ sir, everytime you drain the previous oil, wala ba sign na sludged na yung engine? like slow pouring of oil or solid gunk na bumabagsak sabay ng used oil?
    or any performance issues ?

grabe yung oil pan.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    agree with vinj. use mix fleet oil muna doing short interval for some time. + baldwin.

sana you cut open the baldwin previously used to see whats inside.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Moral of the story? Never extend.

It's a fallacy that synthetic automatically enables you to extend oil changes. There are engines that simply can't take it. The ZZ series is one of them.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    most likely culprit... he he clogged pcv valve (yes that cheap pcv valve na laging nalilimutan i-check)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Kaya ako, after ko matapos sa casa (wala na warranty)

Alternating ng FS oil at DGU eh. Since hindi gamit lagi yung kotse, nagiging stagnant yung FS oil, so pag pinalitan ko na within 10k, lilinisin ni DGU then palit ulit FS after 4-5T kms.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by regaia View Post
    A little bit background on the car. The car is a 2004 1.5 Vios. Prior to being passed to me, my dad used it as an everyday car and I had no idea how he maintained it. The car was given to me as my daily driver and I had changed the intake and removed the catalytic converter. When I eventually took over its maintenance, I peeked through the oil cap and noticed some varnishing in it. So in an effort to remove the varnishing and hopefully remove the sludge I did the following steps:
    1. Oil Change at short interval - the way that I did this was that I change my oil using mineral type at 500km-1000km. Every oil change I used 1 liter of oil to use for flushing.
    2. Then I used Mag 1 All fleet and added Seafoam (both through intake and mixed with oil) and ran for around 4000km

Confident that I had somehow overcome the problem, I used Liqui Moly with BT 223 for around 7000km. Liqui Moly is probably the best oil Iv'e used, the engine was running silently and smoothly. Then I noticed an oil leak on the upperpart of the engine. The mechanic told me that its probably time to replace my engine cover gasket (not sure if correct). I scheduled the replacement of the gasket with my oil change. During the oil change, the mechanic and I were surprised that the Liqui Moly still retained most of its color, it was dark brown but not black probably due to the oil filter (props to doc for this). However, when the top of the engine was removed lo and behold! sludge everywhere! the mechanic immediately recommended that an oil pan cleaning and oil strainer (not sure, but the part that suck oil from the bottom) needs to be cleaned. When he removed the oil pan, it contained so much asphalt....err sludge. So now, I'm selling the car haha just kidding! a change engine would be a good option later on. But its hard not to think about the other parts of the engine that still had the gunk when I'm driving it. Moral of the story: Want to change engine? don't maintain it .

Engine cover half cleaned (Picture was taken via phone so its not too clear)

Oil pan with asphalt

Bottom of the engine

Sludge

ask your dad what brand of oil he used? ask mo din kung nilagyan nya ng gt oil yun... he..he...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Kakatakot naman to. Prone talaga sa sludge ang ZZ at NZ. I'm running DGU + Baldwin combo pero nakaka-8k kms na kaya gusto ko na rin palitan. Brown pa yung oil pero di pa rin ako kampante hehe.

TS, at least hindi umabot sa point na masisira na yung makina. Naagapan pa. Baldwin filter na yan all the way at Caltex Delo Gold Ultra sabay Italian tune up.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Attack of the Sludge (Viewer Discretion Advised)