New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    actually, water splits easier when some electrolyte (i.e. HCl) is added..... pure water is a poor conductor of electricity.

The fundamental thermodynamics issue here is this:

(1) H2O + E --> H2 + 1/2 O2
    (E=energy, electric in this case ) this step needs energy input

(2) H2 + 1/2 O2 --> H2O + E
    this step produces energy, heat energy

E in equations (1) and (2) above are of same magnitude!!

There is no net energy gained because the energy (E) used to split water will be regained by recombining H2 and O2....which will be used again to split water........and so on........

So where does the energy to perpetually run the engine come from? battery? but the engine must work first to charge the battery after the initial charge is used up! Hmmm

Hess' Law?

Originally posted by mazdamazda
    but you also need VERY pure water. not just your ordinary distilled water which is still isn't 100% pure. contamination of any sort will make the reaction impossible.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    “Aside from the prototype reactor and engine displayed at the Manila Hotel, Castillo already has a working engine fitted on his 4500-cc Lexus SUV. He said his Lexus now runs on 80 percent hydrogen and 20 percent diesel. He said he was now fitting another water-powered engine on an owner-type jeep.”

Let’s blindly accept this for a while.

I hope he displays his Lexus where we can scrutinize it, like in a car/truck show i.e. if he has not done it yet. I want to know how he got around oxidation/rusts and the possibility of its by product mixing with the engine oil and other questions that may crop up.

“But because Castillo's reactor does the job by itself, all the users have to do is go to the nearest water refilling station and buy distilled water.“

How much for clean distilled h20?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    wow! nalilito na ko dyan. mahina ako sa chemistry. :D

4. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    sabi nga ni ate vi : "You can never can tell!" hehe

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by ericp
    actually, water splits easier when some electrolyte (i.e. HCl) is added..... pure water is a poor conductor of electricity.

The fundamental thermodynamics issue here is this:

(1) H2O + E --> H2 + 1/2 O2
    (E=energy, electric in this case ) this step needs energy input

(2) H2 + 1/2 O2 --> H2O + E
    this step produces energy, heat energy

E in equations (1) and (2) above are of same magnitude!!

There is no net energy gained because the energy (E) used to split water will be regained by recombining H2 and O2....which will be used again to split water........and so on........

So where does the energy to perpetually run the engine come from? battery? but the engine must work first to charge the battery after the initial charge is used up! Hmmm

Hess' Law?

oops... sorry for the confusion...

about the said formula... i think that they are claiming that the energy that will be used for formula 1 would only be small... as compared to the energy that will be produced in formula 2... is this possible?

but as you said, where will all the energy come from in the first place? this isn't a nuclear reactor! :D

6. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Its a perpetual motion machine .... Bravo!!! Bigyan siya ng Nobel Prize bilissss!!!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the typical problem of any water powered engine is that it takes a lot of energy to split the atoms of oxygen and hydrogen... then the energy released from recombining the two is not enough to start the process over.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Originally posted by ghosthunter
    the typical problem of any water powered engine is that it takes a lot of energy to split the atoms of oxygen and hydrogen... then the energy released from recombining the two is not enough to start the process over.
    Yup. Also, the amount of electricity needed to produce the hydrogen to run an automobile engine would be enough to propel the vehicle by itself.

How can he tell it's running on 80% hydrogen and 20% diesel? BTW... it's DIESEL Lexus? EDIT: Oops... meron nga pala... stupid me!

But every time I hear the words "$150million" and "foreign investors",... haaaay... tumataas nanaman ang kilay ko... :worried:
    Last edited by niky; October 12th, 2004 at 09:13 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by niky
    Yup. Also, the amount of electricity needed to produce the hydrogen to run an automobile engine would be enough to propel the vehicle by itself.
    yup. the energy is constant. or can they explain it even in theory on how they can produce a larger amount of energy than what was orginal input?

what would impressive if he can show off his water-atomizer reactor as a STANDALONE device. if he claims that it can be powered by 12V then i don't think that it would be a problem. the "hydrogen" produced can now then be scrutinized more thoroughly.

How can he tell it's running on 80% hydrogen and 20% diesel? BTW... it's DIESEL Lexus? EDIT: Oops... meron nga pala... stupid me!
    heck, does he have a production car available for this?

even big automotive companies only have hybrid hydrogen-gasoline engines for their prototypes. the mazda rx-8 hybrid is one of 'em.

it goes to show how stupid the japanese/europeans/americans are in terms of research to miss all that out in their mult-million dollar research! :bwahaha:

But every time I hear the words "$150million" and "foreign investors",... haaaay... tumataas nanaman ang kilay ko... :worried:
    maybe these are the same investors who bought enron stocks just before it took a nosedive. :bwahaha:

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    baka nga pwede. na demo na ba in public?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Another water-powered engine. Anybody knows Glenn Castillo?