New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Was using a premium fuel with 95 octane at caltex before and had encountered engine knocking. I switched to racing nitro of shell at 97 but still knocking. The knocking only stops when I used the petron blaze 100 and ive been using it ever since. Just wondering if it would damage my engine if i continue to use it? Car is running more smoothly though after i swtich to blaze. My car is a corolla 1997 gli.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bail View Post
    Was using a premium fuel with 95 octane at caltex before and had encountered engine knocking. I switched to racing nitro of shell at 97 but still knocking. The knocking only stops when I used the petron blaze 100 and ive been using it ever since. Just wondering if it would damage my engine if i continue to use it? Car is running more smoothly though after i swtich to blaze. My car is a corolla 1997 gli.
    sa palagay ko wala sa fuel ang problema, nasa engine due to carbon deposits based on its age, buts thats just my guess kase di naman namin nakikita ang condition ng sasakyan mo...

100 octane? tinalo pa ng 97 GLI mo ang fuel requirement ng isang high end sports car tulad ng isang Ferrari...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    should run fine on 93 octane.
    probably something wrong with the knock sensor.
    no damage naman, except for your wallet.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    *1D4LV
    No knock sensor on locally released 4A-FE... Also no O2 sensor so always open loop operation ang ECU...

*bail
    A basic tune up should fix your problem... Replace/clean spark plugs, oil change (if matagal nang hindi nag-oil change), throttle body cleaning, and ignition timing check/adjust (I think this is the problem of your engine) the proper way using timing light and disabling the electronic spark advance (shorting TE1 and E1 of the diagnostics connector). 10° BTDC stock ignition timing (with ESA disabled).
    Kung di naka-short ang TE1 and E1, sure mali ang ignition timing na makikita sa timing light so most probably di maayos ang problem mo.

Check this link how to short the TE1 and E1 of diagnostics connector. Nandyan na rin kung paano pag-read ng possible ECU error codes so you'd know kung meron mang ibang sensors na sira.
    Celica 1.8/2.2L – Corolla 1.6/1.8L (1993 – 1995) – OBD Trouble Codes

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EssB View Post
    *1D4LV
    No knock sensor on locally released 4A-FE... Also no O2 sensor so always open loop operation ang ECU...

*bail
    A basic tune up should fix your problem... Replace/clean spark plugs, oil change (if matagal nang hindi nag-oil change), throttle body cleaning, and ignition timing check/adjust (I think this is the problem of your engine) the proper way using timing light and disabling the electronic spark advance (shorting TE1 and E1 of the diagnostics connector). 10° BTDC stock ignition timing (with ESA disabled).
    Kung di naka-short ang TE1 and E1, sure mali ang ignition timing na makikita sa timing light so most probably di maayos ang problem mo.

Check this link how to short the TE1 and E1 of diagnostics connector. Nandyan na rin kung paano pag-read ng possible ECU error codes so you'd know kung meron mang ibang sensors na sira.
    Celica 1.8/2.2L – Corolla 1.6/1.8L (1993 – 1995) – OBD Trouble Codes
    Thanks for this. But so far i dont experience any knocking anymore. Should i have it check pa rin?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for this. But so far i dont experience any knocking anymore. Should i have it check pa rin?
    Ignition timing, yes... Malamang sobrang advanced ng ignition timing setting eh. Basta dapat sundin yung tamang procedure as I stated above. Then try mo na ulit mag-93 or 95 octane.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yes, i think you should still check that. the reason why you don't experience knocking anymore is because you are using a 100 RON gasoline. dapat mataas na ang 95 RON dyan.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    The slightly extended burn time might burn the exhaust valves. Observe the ignition waveform, you might need to adjust the ignition timing