New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Normal lang iyon high current na iyon.

Actually , aircon compressor have no electrical connection. Pulley driven ito. Ang nakikita ko lang pwede mag create ng high surge current ay mga dc motor. Gaya ng Condenser Fan and Blower Fan and which will turn on if aircon was activated . DC motors tends to draw high current due to its inductance and commutator inertia. But once the commutator have already gain its speed. The high current will drop to its normal dc motor drawn current. Sometimes we call it startup current.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    The question would be: why would the alternator give more than 60 amperes when the stock A/C system is on? afaik, the A/C system would require lesser than 20A (if im correct).

kulang pa siguro ako sa informal tests. I'll try swapping a new battery then i'll see.

bale 3 ang nakikita ko sa bolang kristal ko:
    1. defective current regulator
    2. battery nearing its end
    3. a defective component or load (like the A/C). could be partially burnt windings on the blower motor, etc.
    Hi Miked,

When the A/C system is on, the idle up actuator activates to compensate for the additional load in the engine, increasing the engine's rpm.
    Can you also confirm that when you press the gas pedal the ampere gauge reads 60+ amperes?

3. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinoi View Post
    Normal lang iyon high current na iyon.

Actually , aircon compressor have no electrical connection. Pulley driven ito. Ang nakikita ko lang pwede mag create ng high surge current ay mga dc motor. Gaya ng Condenser Fan and Blower Fan and which will turn on if aircon was activated . DC motors tends to draw high current due to its inductance and commutator inertia. But once the commutator have already gain its speed. The high current will drop to its normal dc motor drawn current. Sometimes we call it startup current.
    brader, the magnetic clutch requires current to engage the compressor. AC motors also behave similarly with respect to starting current. cheers!

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xtian119 View Post
    Can you also confirm that when you press the gas pedal the ampere gauge reads 60+ amperes?
    hindi naman lampas 60 amperes...between 10-30 amperes (all loads are off). saka lang nagoovershoot kapag after starting, A/C on and even headlights on. then go down to about 40 Amps.

check ko uli kapag ibalik na nya sasakyan nya. yun ay kung babalik sya agad. eh hinete pinsan ko e. saka lang may ipapatingin kung talagang sira na. hehe

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    i went to my electrician with an ampere guage, he said that is not compatible with your car, that is only up to 60..... you need something up to 90.

if found out that amp guages up to 60 are for cars with voltage regulators...... mine daw is IC type.....whatever that means......i googled it and there really are amp guages even up to 150.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by atmarcella View Post
    i went to my electrician with an ampere guage, he said that is not compatible with your car, that is only up to 60..... you need something up to 90.

if found out that amp guages up to 60 are for cars with voltage regulators...... mine daw is IC type.....whatever that means......i googled it and there really are amp guages even up to 150.
    so, get that amp gauge with "higher rating".

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Don't forget the possibility the ammeter was connected wrong or was Installed near a strong magnet

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    in the 60s, most jeeps were fitted with ROX ammeters. up to +/- 50 or 60 amps lang sila. and every driver would look at it upon starting, to see if the generator (not alternator) were charging.

la lang.. surfing.
    Last edited by dr. d; August 18th, 2018 at 12:26 PM.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Analog Ammeters are not recommended if not properly wired.

Check the main fuse of your battery then you will have rough estimate of what amperage to use.

It should be more than the main fuse if you will wire it directly from alternator to battery, else the gauge will go first before the fuse which could start a fire. A burnt wire insulation is a trigger to a fire because anything burnt is carbon which conducts electricity.

To answer the TS, there is no such as giving overcurrent, maybe over current draw. The clutch of AC is a huge electromagnet like a motor that draws huge amnt of current when engaged.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12