New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    was that 2.5 or 3 V ?
    hard to argue the voltage drop either way, "if the meter isn't adjusted right".
    it did seem to read something similar to the 12.2 V that the digital is showing, just prior to starting.
    but why did it read 13 Volt-ish when the digital read 13.54 V, once the engine (and alternator) got going ?

but i appreciate the effort!
    while many post-ers only cut and paste, you actually stage the scene. HD pah!
    Last edited by dr. d; March 17th, 2019 at 12:01 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    was that 2.5 or 3 V ?
    hard to argue the voltage drop either way, "if the meter isn't adjusted right".
    it did seem to read something similar to the 12.2 V that the digital is showing, just prior to starting.
    but why did it read 13 V when the digital read 13.54 V, once the engine (and alternator) got going ?
    The 13V vs 13.54V discrepancy is just an accuracy concern and like I said, the zero centering screw on my analog meter is not calibrated for vertical orientation. For this test, it's not essential to zero it because, a) I already implied that "zero" volts is not zeroed on the meter, so the results will not be 100% accurate, though still near enough to the actual voltage b) There's already a digital multimeter next to it as backup, and c) I've done this without any help from you so quit nit-picking ;) .

0.00V - Ignition key on "Lock"
    12.4V - Ignition key on "Acc"
    11.8V - Ignition key on "ON", ECM/PCM booting up and glow-plugs warming up the cylinders (collectively, the glow-plugs could be pulling upwards of 50 Amps)
    12.2V - Ignition key on "ON" , ECM/PCM/Fuel Injector driver waiting for engine crank, glow-plugs have automatically shut off

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    bought this for 300 pesos including delivery..

ok naman.. naglalaro sa 14.1 - 14.2 pag naka ON ang makina..

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjababez View Post
    yun luma kong voltmeter bro, kita ko drop ng voltage while cranking (3k battery at 11.9v) .. lowest i read nga lang is 8.xx volt dropped from and nagstart naman yung vios.
    As OJ have mentioned, the starter switch relay have an accessory cut-off during cranking but aside from that there is a voltage drop in the battery terminals itself. It will depend on how your plug-in voltmeter was designed, some have large capacitor that delays the drop, others get cut-off immediately. The most accurate to tap a voltmeter is on the battery poles or the B+ of the OBD2 port or the supplyV of the relay/ fuse box. Below direct tap on battery of crdi and non-crdi diesel while cranking.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    when it comes to battery health. A bad battery could have good open-terminal voltage but as soon as you put a load (ie. start the vehicle), a battery with a relatively high internal resistance will cause the vo Sarkari Result PNR Status – Check IRCTC PNR Status Live Indian Railway Enquiry 192.168.l.l – 192.168.1.1 Admin Login

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Does a voltmeter (using the cigarette lighter plug) help us determine the health of the car battery?